[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good cam to put In my 5.3L motor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_0004.png (411 KB, 449x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0004.png
411 KB, 449x800
What's a good cam to put In my 5.3L motor
>>
File: cam-newton-run[1].jpg (35 KB, 650x362) Image search: [Google]
cam-newton-run[1].jpg
35 KB, 650x362
>>966905
Oh, wait. You said GOOD. Nevermind.
>>
Does Jason have a big dick or something?
>>
>>966905
>what's a good cam
the OEM one.
a cam modification alters compression. there is no need to modify the cam unless you are adding forced induction. as in, you are changing how air and fuel intake and exhaust needs to exit the engine.

I see all sorts of shit online of people trying to resell their shitboxes they've ruined with worthless stage 9001 modifications that make no sense at all.
>>
>>966918
well not compression but valve timing. but its needed only if you are modifying the compression of the engine with forced induction.
>>
>>966905
actually this makes me quite mad. i tried to learn how to repair and modify cars by actually listenning to people who seemed to know what they were doing but in reality were just dropping in random "sports lumpy cams" horse shit while maintaining the OEM induction system and paying for a ridiculous giant exhaust pipe without an exhaust manifold swap. the end result was to get the wumwum noise that means the car is struggling to idle like a real ricer piece of shit with a massive loss of performance. but people think the sound of a car struggling to run at low revs means its got a powerful engine because that's how the racing cars sound. RRREEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>966915
>being jelly of the beast that is CAM
>>
>>966905
Depends on what you're goals are. Como cams has a nice tool to select the camshaft for your needs. Note you don't want the cams max valve lift to exceed what your heads provide. I believe the program is called CamQuest.
>>
>>966940
Comp cams*** not Como cams
>>
>>966905
>dat rust

D-did you just throw it in the bed of your truck?
>>
>>966905
the one you took out of it?
>>
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-performance-polluter-v1-classic-camshaft-for-ls1-ls6-engines/

Call these people. Tell them to send you The Polluter. It's as lumpy as your granny's ass.
>>
>>966920
valve timing will alter compression.....
>>
File: 05.jpg (80 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
80 KB, 600x450
Fucking idiot thread----> Bump
>>
File: chevelle-sleeper-2-640x480.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
chevelle-sleeper-2-640x480.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
>>967462
False you idiot, Compression ratio is determined by piston ( pop up, flat top or dished ) and the combustion chamber size of the cylinder head CC. The camshaft effects the lift and duration the valve opening, so if the lift is to high with the piston you will have valve interference so valve reliefs would be required in the piston and duration is the length of time the valve remains open which reflects the profile of the camshaft you choose. there are many factors that need to be decided before you just pick a camshaft.

The LS 5.3 looks like a core so have it checked out before you do anything or just stick it up your ass.
>>
>>967659
You are the idiot. Static compression is just a number. Dynamic compression is what the engine actually experiences. (Guess what, it's determined by the static compression and the camshaft specs).
>>
File: 4486714821_6cc3cef423_z.jpg (72 KB, 630x349) Image search: [Google]
4486714821_6cc3cef423_z.jpg
72 KB, 630x349
>>967789
>>967659
well for the purposes of OP, a stock camshaft will be just fine. its not like you can just swap in a camshaft and have it run better. every part of the engine affects the optimal cam timing. if he was changing the volumetric efficiency or compression ratio then it would make sense.but we dont have any volunteered info on his exhaust or intake modifications which would seem to indicate what he really wants is a fart cannon.
>>
Texas speed or Brian tooley. Call either one and explain your goals.
>>
>>966915
Wow so funny xddddddd le upboat!
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.