[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Adding a Second Story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (502 KB, 855x575) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
502 KB, 855x575
I live in a small house, about the size of a studio apartment, that I built myself.

It's really cozy but I'd like to make it slightly bigger by adding a second story.

The problem is that I can't move out while doing this and seeing as I will be doing it in my spare time it may take a few weeks.

So how do I do it without having to move out completely?

Can I just rip up enough of the roof to build my walls and new roof? Then finish the inside later?

Thanks for any comments, sarcastic or not.

>pic isn't mine but slightly smaller
>>
Then finish the inside later

this is typically how things are built anyway. you complete and weather tight the 'shell' then work on the interior.
>>
>>966854
Yea I get that but in order to add the second story the roof will have to come off. I can't do all of that in just a few days as I will be by myself so there will be a stretch of time that it is unlivable. I'm trying to avoid that.
Sorry I wasn't clear about that.
>>
>>966851
> Builds tiny house
> Finds it's too tiny
> Wants to jack up he roof and install second floor in a weekend

Why didn't you listen?
>>
>>966851
You honestly sound like you have no idea what you're doing, you expect to build a whole story onto your home in a few weeks by yourself?

Have you even checked with your local council if you're allowed to do it? Have you submitted plans? Have they been approved?
>>
>>966872
You've never lived in the country have you?

I don't have to submit shit or get approval from anybody.

>feelsgood.jpeg
>>
>>966851
Pretty sure you need to check headers and first floor load bearing walls. All those specs are different for a one story versus two story building.
>>
>>966874
Have fun with your building falling on your head.
>>
I did this over the winter to an 800 sq ft house (added ~900 sqft upper floor).
You'll probably end up gutting the entire structure, finding shit that isn't level/rotted and ending up essentially just building an entirely new 2 story house.
I had to pay ~$3k for an engineer to say the foundation is OK and a soil engineer to say the ground can bear the extra weight, but of course this was for permitting.
I wouldn't recommend doing this alone unless you're a norm abram clone.
>>
>>966851

Rather than tell you "you're wrong wat r u doon", I'll give you some advice that may be useful.

If it were me, I'd build essentially a free-standing platform over the first floor after removing the roof. Four steel uprights & some RSJs or something should do it. Then add floor, walls, roof etc. Once the roof is one, it'll keep your house dry, and you don't need to worry about load-bearing on the first floor, as the second floor will be a seperate structure with the first storey tucked inside the uprights for the second. If you get me. Seems like the best way of doing it, keeping yourself dry, and not having to rebuild your entire house.
>>
>>966881
Not a clone but close. This is what I needed to hear though, but I don't have to deal with all the zoning shit cause I love out in the country.

The reason I want to go up with it is because there is another building to the side that blocks me. The other side I don't own so I can't expand unless I bought the property.
>>
>>966877
classic DIY hyperbole.
>>
>>966851
Simple.
Put the second story on stilts next to your house and put a garage underneath the second story.

I dont know the lay out of your house, so the stairwell will be up to you.
>>
>>966851
That house is tiny, looks lighter than some cars.

Just jack it up and build a new ground floor under it, make sure the ground floor will hold the weight of the current tiny house plus some and you're golden.
>>
File: image.jpg (163 KB, 920x613) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163 KB, 920x613
>>966988
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Heights-remodeler-jacks-up-house-to-add-on-below-6247003.php
>>
>>966851
>builds tiny house
>regrets having a tiny ass house
>wants to build up instead of add a couple rooms
I really hope you're trolling.
>>
>>966989
real easy to do if your house is made out of cardboard.
you couldn't do this with a real house.
>>
>>967066
His is a tiny house, try keeping up.
>>
My parents did this to my childhood home... in 1984. I hear it went well, and the house certainly feels like it was always a two story home.

Except that a major thunderstorm rolled through the week that the roof was off and there was nothing but a tarp up. Check the weather before you start.
>>
>>967066
full size (2000, 3000 sq. ft.) houses are lifted and moved all the time. the height of the lift is only a matter of more cribbing (and clearance above; any tree branches power lines etc.). it is not cheap. the larger the house the more it will cost but it can easily be done. it is not DIY however. lifting a tiny house would be trivial by comparison.
have you never seen the "mega movers" show on TV.
>>
This isn't your home, is it? It's your cuck shed. And now you want another room above for the bull to live so you can watch your wife get bbc more often.

Just be honest and this threads go a lot easier.
>>
>>966851
That looks like the house my children play in.
>>
>>967342
These are still not a real houses. Real house is made out of brick and has a basement. You can't move a real building.
>>
File: IMG_1398_sm[1].jpg (107 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1398_sm[1].jpg
107 KB, 550x413
>>967407
>Real house is made out of brick and has a basement.

Out of the millions of houses in California very few have basements or are made of brick. Want to know what happens to brick in earthquakes?

Fuck off with your meme.
>>
>>967452
>while doing this and seeing as I will be doing it in my spare time it may take a few weeks. So how do I do it without having to move out completely?
enjoy your tornados americatards
>>
>>967474
>enjoy your tornados americatards
> Trip fags Windows 10 Cuck
> Cuck

Welp, I've seen about enough of you.
>>
>>967452
>live in Cali
>Brick home crumbles
>Wood home burns

Only obvious choice is to live in a steel underground bunker
>>
>>967513
>Only obvious choice is to live in a steel underground bunker

Must be why we have all the buried container threads.
>>
File: Salem_Church_Relocation.jpg (3 MB, 2872x1999) Image search: [Google]
Salem_Church_Relocation.jpg
3 MB, 2872x1999
>>967407
>Can't move real brick buildings.

Move alone son, men are talking here.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.