[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
new to blacksmithing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7
File: IMG_20160302_171808.jpg (4 MB, 4160x2336) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160302_171808.jpg
4 MB, 4160x2336
Brand new to black smithing and have been playing around but discussion and tips would be much appreciated (pic related my forge)
>>
>>966684
While hammering anything more then just bending something. 5 strikes on one side, flip the piece, 5 strikes on that side, never just hammer one side other wise during any hardening its gonna bend towards the side you hammered the most.
>>
>>966685
duh. doesn't everyone know that? iv never even done anything like that before.
>>
Electric forges are pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLaBFkeHG0A

It's a meme video more than anything, but hot damn laser derusting is cool.
>>
File: grillrost-apfelessig.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
grillrost-apfelessig.jpg
112 KB, 1280x720
>>966707
i need that
>>
I can vouch for pic related.
>>
Just made a forge from a brake drum but its a little small. Would one like OP's picture be better for larger work or does more surface space just mean more fuel wasted for not much benefit?

A guy I know could hook me up with a rotor or even a tractor trailer brake drum if needs be.
>>
File: 20160323_171318_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160323_171318_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
Just finished making this foundry the other day. Haven't had the chance to try it out yet, still looking for a used/cheap pot. Anything i should do or change before melting some brass?

>1/8 thick walled air tank
>exhaust pipe burner with cast iron end
>walls are locally sourced white sand, sifted. With 16oz fluid of white shop sweep (kitty litter) and 8oz fluid of cement powder, rocks and gravel sifted out, per 2 gallons of sand
>coffee cans for center, lid to base, with 4in deep of above sand mix between burner and disc black base

D-did i do good?
>>
File: 20160323_141830-1.jpg (496 KB, 2981x1677) Image search: [Google]
20160323_141830-1.jpg
496 KB, 2981x1677
>>968222
And i side. Sorry this one is a potato. Only had a little propane, it never actually heated up.
>>
File: WP_20140906_004.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140906_004.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
uses a disk brake as a fire pot. computer fan as blower. using coke as fuel.
>>
Anyone know where I can find some good clay to properly make molds for casting? I imagine wallmart wont have this shit and ill need to go to an art store or something.
>>
Where would I go about finding an anvil/anvil substitute?
>>
>>969380
Ebay or craigslist. Search railroad track anvil. You won't find any decent real anvils less for less than 500, and quality can range from great to I see a little steel in the rust. However you can find some bigass excavator pins from scrap yards that might be worth your time, they won't have a horn though so you gotta find something else cone shaped or round to smack on. Just don't get a cast iron anvil, they are shit.
>>
File: 20160220_110510_HDR-1.jpg (631 KB, 2116x1377) Image search: [Google]
20160220_110510_HDR-1.jpg
631 KB, 2116x1377
>>969380
>>969555

A buddy of mine grand father told my of a simple way to harden a railroad track.

You'll need track, 20g used diesel motor, shit load of hardwood, forge blower or shop vac that blows, 5-6 feet of exhaust pipe or 2in cast iron pipe, two 6 foot of cast pipes or 5/8 stock, steel 55g drum cut in half for the motor oil

>torch and grind out horn on foot long piece of track, very important to do before hardening. If you can surface the track do it now as well
>dig 3 foot deep by 3 foot across hole with a trench for the exhaust pipe to the center of the hole
>put the pipe in the trench, make sure the end out of the hole is access for the blower
>fill the hole with hard wood and light
>run blower as needed to keep fire burning hot
>keep adding wood untill you have a full 3 foot deep bed of coals burning, this should take a few hours if you have good wood
>drop track in coals track down
>turn blower on and continue adding wood
>when the foot is light orange, the track will be yellow
>use the pipes/stock with a buddy to pinch the track and lift it out
>CAREFULLY lift the track and walk it to the drum of ised diesel engine oil
>DROP the track in the oil, do not hesitate, if you set the track in the oil it'll boil and catch fire. You will get severely burned.
>Wait about an hour to an hour and a half and fish out your new anvil

I could barely grind mine after hardening it this way, i should have let it get hotter but I'll know for the next one.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.