[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I polish up an axe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1436615144289.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1920) Image search: [Google]
1436615144289.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1920
Hey /diy/, first time posting, but I have this tomohawk thats in need of renovation.

So it's a pipe hawk that my uncle gave me when i was 12 to smoke weed out of, and its served me well so far, but got gunked up. So i took it upon myself to boil it in hopes of getting all the resin out of it, and make it useful again.

This resulted in a wooden stem that's dried up so much that it has new air holes, and a metal bowl/blade that looks like its been left outside for the last 200 years.

how do I go about making it look good again? pic related is what it used to look like. pic after will be what it looks like now
>>
File: 1443717727000.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
1443717727000.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
>>966512
Here, ik its a shit picture, all I have for a camera is a $60 nokia phone.
>>
>>966512
citric acid in warm water

leave in for 2 days
>>
>>966518
this will... do what exactly? will it help the wood, the metal, or both? also how long will it stay fixed? I already tried scrubbing the metal, but as soon as it dries it just goes back to looking like this, Except with fingerprints and watermarks

and how do I keep the water warm for two days straight?
>>
>>966512
Carve kurwa kurwa into it.
>>
>>966528
what even?
>>
>>966512
Fuck it, ill help you junkie ass...
You need to polish and buff it it you want it to be as shiny as the one in the picture.
Get some 0000 steel wool and a bit of elbow grease. The more you polish the shinier it will be.
And for the wood you get a decent cotton cloth and some wood rated was. Now the wood in your pic isn't the same as the one you have. So the color will be off. Get some wood polish, preferably bees wax since your dumb ass will be inhaling it. And polish it with said wax to a shine. You could also was the metal to protect it from moisture but than it will be easy to stain with fingerprints.
>>
>>966539
sadly enough, they're the exact same axes lol. I took the pictures in >>966512 personally about 5yrs ago. That's just how much boiling the tomahawk for 5 minutes damaged it.

Thanks for the tips, will the steel wool leave any obvious scratches or polish marks?

Also you keep using this word "was" and I'm not sure what you mean.

>get a decent cotton wood cloth and some wood rated was
>You could also was the metal to protect it from moisture

Is was some sort of product? are you referring to wax? or something different altogether?
>>
Here's sharpening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I55QyJXHk2E

Polishing, it's basically like any other piece of metal. Strip rust with a wire wheel, clean with rubbing alcohol, done. If you want to make it shine, you're gonna have to get out the abrasives. Start at about 200 grit sandpaper and go until at least 600. Finish the polish with a cloth wheel and buffing compound. Keep it oiled with mineral oil to protect it for the future.

Don't do the abrasive step with a power sander, it's too easy to slip and leave divots etc.

>>966521
Low strength acids (even soda/carbonated water works) dissolve the rust, turn it into a soft sludge that's easy to scrub off. Takes about a week. If you're going to polish it anyway, skip this step, it's only really needed if abrasives aren't an option for some reason.
>>
>>966559
cool thanks man! any idea on what >>966540
was trying to say with the "was?" really want to get my stem looking back to normal.

would wood varnish, stain, or polish be best? all I have is protective enamel.
>>
>>966528
>>>966512 (OP)
>Carve kurwa kurwa into it.
Co to kurwa jest?
>>
>>966518
Vinegar will also work. Then polish with toothpaste.
>>
that tomahawk isn't the only thing that's obviously gunked up ~ autism incarnate.
>>
While we're on the subject, what's a good wood to replace a rotten axe handle? Mine is wrecked
>>
>>966539
>Anonymous
Word
>>
>>966668
was = wax
Look at your keyboard, S and X are next to eachother.
Anon typing "was" was a typo.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.