[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have these three cases that measure 20.5" x 16.375"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: case2.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
case2.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
I have these three cases that measure 20.5" x 16.375" x 7.0"

I want to use them as tool boxes. Does anyone have suggestions on lightweight trays I could make?

Foam is an option, but cutting all those slots will take a long ass time.
>>
>>966378
>rip out foam
>insert tools
>close lid
>???
>profit
>>
File: case1.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
case1.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>966404
It needs some organization. I might as well throw all my tools in a trash bag at that point.
>>
Tuppaware or similar tubs, keep an eye out for sweet tubs etc that'll fit
Check yard sales and 2nd shops, nearly all the ones I frequent have parts from other tool boxes
>>
/diy/ a shop vac vacuum former box with the same dimensions as the case itself. Assort tools on the box the way you'd like them to lay in the case (keeping in mind the tools will lay in the tool box almost as a mirror image flipped vertically in relation to the way they lay on the box). Vacuum form a plastic mold for the tools to sit in. Fix the mold in place in the case. Toolbox
>>
>>966378
I know its not /diy/ but professional foam inserts are super fucking cheap, you bring they what you want held, they trace it, cut it and you're golden
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (284 KB, 1143x857) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
284 KB, 1143x857
Just buy a sheet of multi layer foam and cut around your tools.
>>
File: spin_prod_20159201.jpg (6 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
spin_prod_20159201.jpg
6 KB, 245x245
>>966378
buy plastic trays

otherwise get some foam core board and hot glue it in there
>>
Nice Halliburtons, makes me want to get some foam in mine.

>>966491
Tools will fall out and rattle around. Hardly better than just tossing everything in loose.

I suggest getting the foam and cutting it yourself. Usually you get a few layers to create one or two levels of depth, and then glue em all together. Fuck that pluckable foam shit that falls apart in a month.

Like so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPVlw5TTe_E

That guy's site is not the worst place to get the foam--you can probably find it cheaper but I've found other sites to be a little annoying to use (you have to research all the types of foam and shit to know what you're buying).

They are a bit awkward for a general tool box, IMO. I intend to use mine for test equipment and precision tools particular to certain tasks in my business.

If you're into guns, they'd also make sweet range cases.
>>
File: p226.jpg (931 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
p226.jpg
931 KB, 2592x1944
>>966469
This is a pretty cool idea!

>>966500
>particular to certain tasks in my business.
This is how I like to set up tool boxes. I have one smaller box for each "activity".

>electrical
>electronics (lots of small parts)
>around the house
>track day

One big tool box is not practical since I live in an apartment.

>If you're into guns, they'd also make sweet range cases.
I have three, so one of them might end up being a pistol box eventually. I don't have enough pistol shit to dedicate a box to it. A single Sig Sauer 226 with ammo and accessories is a bit underwhelming for these boxes.

Once I get my AR pistol done, it'd probably fit nicely in one of these cases.
>>
>>966378
>Foam is an option, but cutting
its like that case was designed for a large bismuth.
what the fuck was suppose to go in it?
>>
>>966413
No idea why, or why you'd compare it to a trash bag. You're just being an OCD faggot who'd rather look at tools than use them.
>>
>>966883
Some sort of test instrument. I got them for free on a local forum, so I have no idea.

>>966890
I have some tool bags and hate them. There is no organization, so everything is basically in a pile. It's inefficient and annoying.
>>
>>966928
Definitely more inefficient packing and unpacking 'organised' tools than dumping them out and throwing them back in.
>>
>>966964
>Definitely more inefficient packing and unpacking 'organised' tools than dumping them out and throwing them back in.
Maybe I am OCD. This sounds fucking horrible. I hate having to completely unload my toolbags to get to a single tool at the bottom. Most jobs don't require using every tool, so moving ALL of the tools twice to get to 3 tools is inefficient.

Why do toolboxes have drawers and compartments if what you are saying is true? We should all just dump our shit in cardboard boxes and be done with it.
>>
don't they make foam that's like perforated so you can cleanly rip it out to custom fit yo tools like tetris
>>
>>967017
Because everyone doesn't have the luxury of roll around tool boxes in the work place.

I can be at a site one day, a different one a hundred miles away the next. I have several tool bags, equipped with tools specific to the task I'll be doing.

Far more efficient than lots of organised boxes.

No idea what job you do either way.
>>
>>966964
>dumping them out

I've done this too, but it gets old.
Also...

Snow.
Tools also work inside.
Client's new hardwood.
etc
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.