[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old battery drill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: drillrandomimage.jpg (56 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
drillrandomimage.jpg
56 KB, 640x640
so I have an old dewalt DW926 drill. Getting straight to the point. both battery's are shit. whats the best - and cheapest. course of action to get it to run off the wall instead of a battery? I want to use the drill as a rod spinner for wrapping and restoring fishing poles.

I did google, but not really getting useful information

if it helps, the outside of the drill says 9.6 V DC.
inside the switch itself says 12v-24v DC
and when I looked up the motor itself, most were also 12v-24v DC. so I'm really unsure what to follow.
>>
The battery will only supply 9.6v because of the cells in the battery pack. Open it up and you'll see a few cells about the size of C cell batteries. Each will do about 1.2v, so theres probably 8 in there. You may want to google some guides on how to do it. The battery size and maH rating is what you'll need to verify for replacement.

The switch will handle 12v-24v as its engineered. Same with the motor. The motor and switch will work fine on AC or DC current. The problem is getting it down from 120v. Its a little dangerous and I wouldn't recommend this because burning down your house isn't fun and will cost more in parts than just buying a cheap corded drill.
>>
>>965615
>the best - and cheapest

Are you new here? The best thing would be a regulated power supply, the cheapest would be alkaline batteries, you're never going to reconcile the difference in price between the two options.
>>
>>965620
well from a corded drill I already have, [hence why I don't wanna just up an buy something, if I can just make something work.] with a motor thats pretty much close to the same size as the one that's inside this drill. is 5.2 amps at 115v that's 598 watts.

now I'm confused by your statement of why I need to find the milliampere hour in order to figure out my problem, milliampere hour is for how long the battery's will last? how's that going to help me at all, when I'd be running something corded?

Now that being said, going on to the last thing you said about the switch/motor running on AC Or DC. lets say the motor runs on a maximum 600 watt before it starts wanting to explode itself into sparks. Wouldn't it not be dropping the voltage that I should do, but resisting the amperage?
>>
>>965622
why even post if you're not going to post something helpful towards the thread?

I said I wanted it corded, not to buy fucking battery's you dolt.
>>
>>965615
Get a 12v, 2a power supply from any supplier and wire it up to the drill. Should be pretty straigthforward. There's even guides on Instructables of all things, so you should be able to figure it out from here without trouble.

For bonus points, wire it into the old battery pack instead, so the drill can be converted back to battery operation in the future.
>>
>>965637
I was going to use one of the old battery pack cases for this.. not solder to the thermals. just encase I wanted to dope out 40 some odd bucks for a set of battery's. or if I sold it to someone they could do so.

what I'm trying to figure out tho. is how can a hairdrier motor, a lot smaller, run off of 120v with nothing but 5 diodes. and why couldn't this be applied here.
>>
>>965639
Basic electrical knowledge. Find a nice Youtube science vid and learn what the difference between AC and DC is. The drill is 12v, DC, because that's what batteries produce. The wall is 120v AC. You need to convert the wall power to 12v DC before it gets to your drill or it will melt the drill in spectacular fashion. This requires a fair bit of electronics knowledge and hardware, and the easiest way is to buy a power supply, they are not expensive. Hair dryers are already designed for 120v AC and don't need to be converted.
>>
>>965637
A drill is gonna pull a fuckload more than 2 amps when it torques out, so good luck with that.
>>
>>965826

here's $12 for 12V @ 56A, rig it up like those RC websites say

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tested-good-30-day-warranty-HP-DPS-700GB-Power-Supply-For-DL360-G5-HSTNS-PD06-41-/321998253479
>>
>>965615
Buying a new drill. Honestly. The cost of a laptop battery to harvest its cells to refurb your batteries is higher than the cost of a basic drill
>>
I wired my old drill to an old 12v car battery, works great
>>
Im not op, but can I use a PC power supply to power up a drill like the one in op?
>>
1. Find 12V SLA battery from an old UPS or something
2. Rig battery terminals to contacts in drill
3. Tape the fucking battery to the bottom of the drill, leave battery tabs partly exposed for charging from cheapo 12V charger
4. Wield SuperDrill with your soon-to-be-massive wrist muscles

I've only done it with a 14.4V drill, but you probably won't burn out a 9.6 with it.
>>
>>966097
If it can supply the amps and you know how to hack it, yes.

>>966107
DC motors like these can handle a wire voltage range. I have a 7.2v Makita drill that I ran at 11 volts from a 'slightly' adjustable desktop power supply and it worked fine. That said, fully changed the original batteries put out close to 9.5 volts, so its not much of a stretch. The torque improvement was quite noticeable though.
>>
>>965615
you can repack the battery packs. usually battery packs have only one or two cells fail, so since you have two, charge the batteries, open them up, check each cell one by one with a multimiter to see which ones are not putting out enough voltage (which is why you have to charge first, and check while it's still holding a charge), cut out the bad cells from battery A and replace them with good cells from battery B.
If there's a hardware store, you can loot dead batteries to continue the cycle.
>>
File: barreno.jpg (482 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
barreno.jpg
482 KB, 1280x1280
not op here, but i did some progress today with an old drill with missing charger and dead battery, just wired a old laptop adapter (19v 6.3a) to the internal battery conector and now is working again
>>
>>965615
You could go to a pawnshop, find some shitty drill that runs off the main and has a similar input/output and gut it.

Just need the step-down and the bridge rectifier and probably a capacitor and resistor run in parallel. That'd all be in the handle of whatever shit you find.

Or the cheapest course of action would be to just use that cord drill you got for $4 from the pawnshop instead of gutting it.
>>
>>967133
Drive a dozen 3 inch long screws into a piece of 4x4 as fast as you can. How does the changer hold up?
>>
>>967154
>using a piece of shit drill like that to drive 3 inch screws
even with a battery that fucker wouldnt be able to do that
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.