[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to restore the paint and male it glow again without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160320_182705.jpg (285 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160320_182705.jpg
285 KB, 1600x1200
Is there a way to restore the paint and male it glow again without taking off the cap and risking it?
>>
File: IMG_20160320_182712.jpg (267 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160320_182712.jpg
267 KB, 1600x1200
Clearer picture(maybe)
>>
>>965588
Is it supposed to glow by itself (not charged by light)? If so, it used a radioactive element of some sort (usually radium or tritium) and that has decayed. There is no way to "refresh" it, you'd have to apply new paint. And good luck getting that.
>>
>>965588
>>965591
clean off your camera lense you fuck
>>
>>965598
>There is no way to "refresh" it

You could always try putting it in a particle accelerator, as long as you don't mind the entire thing becoming radioactive.
>>
>>965588
the radioactive material is still very radioactive. however the paint used to make it glow has deteriorated. It is not possible to make it glow again without repainting it with radioactive paint. which no one makes anymore.
>>
>>965744
The phosphor used was zinc sulfide which is what pretty much every cheap glow in the dark paint is made of. So you could probably re paint it as long as you don't remove the old paint because I think it has the powdered radium mixed in.

Also the radium is known to turn into dust through normal decay and coat everything inside the watch.
>>
>>965598
I know how to make the solution , the problem is removing the cap and swallowing or breathing the dust.
>>
>>965756
The "dust" is radon-222
>>
>>965744
Actually , making a solution of the newer paint and covering the old radium paint would mostly restore it.
>>
>>965729
The entre thing is already radioactive , it puts out alpha and beta particles , and gamma rays. Sometimes the paint was stirred too hot and it gives off 100mR/hr , and most of the time 9.9 mR/hr.
>>
>>965775
radon-222 smoke, don't breathe this!
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.