[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a new piece of tech in my home- an AT&T home cell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: home cell.jpg (108 KB, 535x433) Image search: [Google]
home cell.jpg
108 KB, 535x433
I have a new piece of tech in my home- an AT&T home cell phone. I plug in a handset and it operates as a cell. Saves me 40/month. I want to boost the reception. I assume I could replace the antenna with something bigger and it would give me more bars. It says it uses 850/1900mhz, and the cell boosters on amazon are 200 bucks. As long as I had the right attachment/connection, couldn't I use some sort of wifi modem antenna that costs 20 bucks?
>>
>>965377
Wifi antennas are 2.4/5ghz, so that would probably be worse.

You could get an antenna of the right frequency for not much more money and use that. You don't need a cellpoh e booster, you have half of one already,you just need a Bette ranetnna and google Fu

If you have two or three bars already that's fine too. Or walk around with your house looking for a better spot.

You can plug it into any pho e jack I. Your house and wire the whole house just go out to your demarc and remove your wires from the nid so your not picking up the battery or epress dial tone signal
>>
Follow the same rules as positioning a wifi router. Place it as high up as you can. Put it in an open area as far away from large metal objects as you can. Run a cable into the attic if you need to. I find it hard to believe that you'll have range issues at those low frequencies.
>>
>>965571
These things aren't rated for the attic. They oveheat in a couple weeks.
>>
>>965577
I forget most people don't have vents in theirs. Mine is never over 90f.
>>
Thanks, guys.

I was wondering about what type of antenna to get (what frequency) as well as what style (areal vs parabolic, etc). I'm in the middle of nowhere, so don;t get many bars.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.