[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Washing machine bearing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 2016-03-21 12.23.26.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-21 12.23.26.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
I hope somebody here can help me. The belt in my washing machine fell off. It's 4 years old and I figured it was just stretched too much so I ordered a new one online and tried to put it on, flew off again.

Now I saw the real problem was the bearing wich contains the flywheel is sliding outward. I hammered it in and started a washing cycle but after a while it came out again.

I had grinded open the back to easily access the motor/flywheel connection but now I'm afraid that the back might have kept the bearing/flywheel in place.

Can I solve this by removing the bolt, pull out the bearing and inserting a new one or is this useless???

I really don't feel like dismantling the entire machine right now, too much stuff going on and I read online that if you dismantle and don't re-assemble properly your machine is fucked.

pic related.
>>
File: boat.jpg (250 KB, 1024x1816) Image search: [Google]
boat.jpg
250 KB, 1024x1816
>>965264
jesus fucking christ, a washing machine is not a can of beans - you don't cut the bottom out with tin snips to work on it.
>>
>>965264
also there's usually a repair manual in a plastic bag taped to the inside of the enclosure
>>
>>965268
Yes I know, it was meant as a quick fix.

>>965269
I checked all the papers I had, nothing like that included.
>>
File: EDP445.webm (368 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
EDP445.webm
368 KB, 720x404
>>965264
>I had grinded open the back
mfw

> now I'm afraid that the back might have kept the bearing/flywheel in place.

Doubt it, you would have to have it touching the rear panel.

Replacing the bearing isnt always the easiest thing to do.
Dont you have to usually pull the drum out to remove the bearings?
>>
>>965271
alright i'm done yelling at you
:)

the bottom of the tub is plastic? can you put a screw in the plastic just under where it slips out so that it stays in place?
>>
Gravity is a bitch just use the machine upside down anon.
>>
>>965271
>I checked all the papers I had, nothing like that included.

There's this new thing called Teh Interwebs where instructional videos and online manuals can be found. You should look into it.
>>
File: 2016-03-21 16.00.07.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-21 16.00.07.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>965275
> mfw
Yeah my gf wasn't really happy either.

> Replacing the bearing isnt always the easiest thing to do.
Dont you have to usually pull the drum out to remove the bearings?

This is how I saw it in some youtube vids but I was wondering if it's neccesary in this case.

>>965277
I just checked but any screw big enough to hold the bearing in place will hit the flywheel. See pic.
>>965281
No shit huh, I had no idea bro, not like I always fucking google anything before asking other people but sure thing.

Most people disassemble the whole thing, I'm just asking if it's possible to do it differently.
>>
>>965284
> I just checked but any screw big enough to hold the bearing in place will hit the flywheel. See pic.

was meant for >>965276
>>
>>965264
the bearings are generally considered non-replacable and sealed for life now. there is some austrian thing that is changing the way germans throw away their trash now. they were talking about how they repair such "non-repairable" items. machines built with bearings impossible to access with a set service life such that the machine will cease to work because the bearing is designed specifically to fail at 5 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7QitVCvW6s
>R.U.S.Z - REPAIR AND SERVICE CENTER IN AUSTRIA
I dont have anything helpful to say. sorry.
>>
>>965296
> the bearings are generally considered non-replacable and sealed for life now.

Then why are there so many videos about replacing bearings?
>>
>>965304
because it's absolutely fine to change a bearing in a 50 year old motor so it can run the next 50 yrs.
>>
>>965264
What's the model #?

If it's front load washer it might not even be worth fixing it. A lot of them you have to replace the whole rear part of the tub to replace the bearing, and even sometimes the inner tub.
>>
>>965330
Who said anything about 50yr old motors??

>>965337
Everglades EVWM1001

According to my gf it's actually more like 6 years old, how time flies...

I screwed off the flywheel but yeah, no way I can get it out properly so we're just gonna buy a new one.
>>
>>965264
>JB Weld back back on.
Profit?
>>
http://www.repairclinic.com/
enter your make, model and serial number and go from there.

I replaced the drum on my Maytag Neptune stacked POS and would have been easier just dragging it to the curb but it was the only machine that would fit the location. Easy enough repair just time
>>
appliance repair fag here.

1st... shine on you crazy diamond.. you had no clue what you were doing and you went and did it as hard as you could anyway... even if that meant using an angle grinder to go through parts that are clearly not gonna go back together when your done... your a special kind of stupid... you didn't do yourself any favors.. but fuck.. you did something, so I'll give you props for that..

2nd. you'd have to take the front half of the tub off, usually it clips together, or screws together around the middle... once it's off, you can take that pulley off the back and pull the basket out... then if your lucky you can pound the bearings out and put new ones that match in WITH A NEW TUB SEAL!!!! you can't change the bearings any other way... it's a lot of work.. it's not as hard as it might sound though... and if your capable of using an angle grinder in a halfassed manner... and can take pictures.. then I'd give you decent odds to be able to do the job.

3nd. however the back panel to this probably helps stiffen the whole thing so even if you put it back together fixed and perfect its still got a decent chance of rattling like a freight train.... not saying it will for sure.. just that it wouldn't surprise me if it did...

4rd. when taking apart appliances use a screwdriver.. and a putty knife... they'll all come apart somehow using just that... you will NEVER need an angle grinder...

jesus fuck thats probably the funniest thing I've read all day though so congrats for that.
>>
>>965296
>the bearings are generally considered non-replacable and sealed for life now.

This is /diy/. We try to fix even the unfixable. Anyway, that 'sealed for life' BS is what the mfg says when they don't want to stock old parts.

I had a bearing go out in a 40 year old vacuum cleaner. I dug into it knowing that the mfg probably doesn't support this model anymore. Pushed bearing out, read part number and Googled it. Turns out to be the same bearing used in nearly all skateboards, roller skates, etc. Cheap. Available everywhere. $3.00 later, working vacuum cleaner.
>>
Next time buy a speedqueen

Anything else is disposable trash
>>
>>965541
so much this
+1 internets to you sir
>>
>>965469
Doesn't have that model

>>965516
> your a special kind of stupid
*you're
Also, lazy would be a better way of putting it. And because initially just the drive belt had gone off this was the easier/quicker fix because there was no panel to unscrew at the back.

New one is already ordered.
>>
>>965284
isn't that a bolt? or it's a rivet? (plated thing in the center of the spindle)
Try removing that (may be a lefthanded thread) and pull the flywheel.
If that works, hammer the spindle to push the entire drum assembly.
Replace the bearings and reassemble hoping that no parts whre left and the repairing god bless you.
>>
>>965531
308-zz?
I always have some of those bearing because are used in a lot of things.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.