[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fixing a radio/recordplayer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: 20160511_121846.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160511_121846.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
My sister gave me this old radio/recordplayer to both fill up my apartment and so I have something to work on if I'm bored and have some spare time. I had electronics as my main course in highschool, but it's 2 years ago since I graduated and began my apprenticeship which doesn't include working on smaller electronics so I've forgotten most of it except the easier stuff like switches, lights, sockets etc.

>How should I proceed with checking and testing components without killing myself?
>No experience with speakers, how do I test them to see if they work properly?
>Should I sand it down and put some oil on it?

Can provide more pictures if you want.
>>
>>991857
>How should I proceed with checking and testing components without killing myself?
If you have to ask...

On a scale from 0 to 10 how well does it work?
Not at all or does it at least turn on?
Also interior pictures might help.
Most old radios like this will have at least a basic schematic taped somewhere on inside, if it has not been removed.
>Should I sand it down and put some oil on it?
Unless you have experience refurbishing furniture or just want to do it for the experience i would not recommend it, most attempts i have seen turn out less than great.
Besides, it does not look to be in that bad condition.
>>
>>991857
please post more pics, try to find the model number it may be on a sticker it may be stamped in to the chassis and I will try to get a schematic for you.

The voltages in old tube equipment can easily kill you. but with proper precautions and equipment that console could be made fully functional in only a couple of days.
>>
>>991857
Dude, this is a Philips battlestation from th 50's.

Tho phono on the right area seems to be of a pick-up kind : BEWARE those heads are fragile like hell, and working ones are very hard to source nowadays.

Your phono looks like a AG1000 chassis (see AG1004, AG1006 and last but not least AG1100 whose colour seems close enough to yours), fitted with a AG3016 head.

First of all you can check if the pick-up still work by extracting the chassis from the wooden cabinet (4 screws at each angle of the turntable) they look for the two/three wires coming out the arm.

Your mileage may vary : either you will end with two bananas or two RCA, but at least you would be able to connect your phono to an actual amp insofar it as a RIAA compatible input.

Consider checking the phono part first, it's fucking easy, and some WD40 sprayed on the gears can't be that bad.

The radio part is another subject : those old bastards runs with kV voltages, like CRT tubes TV. And capacitors vanishes with time, so powering that beast without checking them may sound like instakill... tldr; Replace each capacitor with modern counterpart, if same voltage is not available, take upper one.

Checking filament status is easy : proceed lamp per lamp.
Remove each lamp using a towel so your finger doesn't mark the glass and/or remove markings, then look the interweb for matching datasheet so you figure out which pins are for filament, then beep them with your multimeter's continuity function.
No beep ? try applying the right voltage and check if lamp lights. No beep AND no light, then dead tube : keep it for reference and order a new one (if too pricy, check for soviet new old stock tubes, they usualy have cross reference for ridiculous prices)

Hope I've helped...

Source : I own a Philips AG1114, and messed with some tubes radio when young :)
>>
>>992202
>proceed lamp per lamp.
you mean tubes or valves.

fucking lamps? WTF!
>>
>>992210
>lamp
I mean tubes, you're right (britbong isn't my mother language)...
>>
File: 20160512_124553.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160512_124553.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
This is how the back looks. Either it's missing the powercable or it's inside of it, I havent bothered checking it yet.
>>
File: 20160512_124635.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160512_124635.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>992160
I found this metal plate with serialnumbers etc on the back of it, makes it easier finding schematics (if needed) online.
>>
File: 20160512_124706.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160512_124706.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>991909
I want to sand it down and refurbish it because of how it looks on the top. I have down it a few times, but that was during junior high. Sorry for flipped photo
>>
File: 20160512_124655.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160512_124655.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
This is how the door closes, but it's not running as smoothly as I want the entire way. Should I use some fine grit sandpaper and some oil to ensure no bumps and running smoothly?
>>
>>992349
good news is that tubes are not of a uncommon type : finding datasheet or spares won't be a real issue.

>>992351
>and refurbish it
Consider fixing it first, those battlestations are not so uncommon : due to their weight, people never move them and they usually stay at oldchaps' houses until it's time to sell the house...
>>
>>992349
what country are you in?
>>
>>992349
I was not able to find any schematics, and it looks like this was not sold here in the US. If it was it was under a different model number.

If it were mine I would go through it and replace all the capacitors and test all the resistors then replace those that are out of spec. I would not bother testing the tubes unless it did not work after that.

I would leave the finish alone unless you are very good at that type of thing.
>>
>>992368
Actually the priciest parts are the tubes : considering this unit only have 6 "mandatory" ones to check, it's worth the pain in the ass to check them before the capacitor/resistor job !
>>
>>992372
Tubes are the least likely thing to have problems in old radios.
>>
>>992361
I live in Norway.
>>
>>992376
That explain the moonlanguage on the backside
>>
>>992368
The back panel on >>992349 statess It's fabricated in Oslo, Norway. Philips Model Nr FN704A. I might have some more luck since Ilive in Norway
>>
File: Snapchat-6722067487938407165.jpg (528 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6722067487938407165.jpg
528 KB, 1080x1920
>>992377
Better picture of stickers in moon language. The stickers are only like some sort of receipt stating price, modelnumber and serialnumber(?) I think. The space used to fill up the date this got sold from store is unfortunately blank.

The grey part is just stating that I have to take out the plug from the socket before removing back panels.
>>
post some more picsof the inside and start reviving it

lt us know youre progress
>>
>>992564
I'll get to that as soon as I find the proper tools for it. The timing is really good right now, I'm in DIY mood and I got 5 days with no work ahead of me.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.