[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
bike frame painting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 3
Sup diy selfers, any of you guys painted bike frames? I did some (4), painted with cans. Had some problems with masking tape and clear coat. So whats your experience? I will upload more pics later
>>
Anon here one more
>>
>>963964
3M masking tape the painters stuff is my favorite. the problem i think you had, was you let the color coat dry before you removed the tape and it caused peeling. when you removed the tape? gotta remove it when it's still wet, wait like 10ish minutes after your final color to remove it.

Also, never buy color in a can that already has gloss in it. or satin. always get matte colors if you can. Matte lays smoother, doesn't orange peel, and dries faster. Plus the clearcoat is suppose to make paint look shiny, not the color

Krylons crystal clear acrylic I think would work best on bicycle frames comes in gloss, satin, and matte.. if you want something that's chemically stable, Spar urethane, its pricey tho. dries slow AF too, but is dry in 24 hours, sand able in 48. and cure to max hardness in 1 week.

as opposed to enamel clear out of a can that takes like 14 months to fkin' harden where your finger nail doesn't make a dent no more.

also self etching primer is a must of aluminum. so much better at actually stinking to it then the automotive spray primer.
>>
File: bikes.jpg (2 MB, 725x3732) Image search: [Google]
bikes.jpg
2 MB, 725x3732
Op here, thx for comment. You have the point with the masking tape. I had some problems with orange peel but i am glad with finished result.
I will keep in mind your stuff, and try the matte collors next time.

Image have a little process of making the or the bike.

Any ideas of the powder coat diy stuff, still I neen big as hell oven...
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.