[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>buy 8 pack >2 of them always dig into the drywall and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10
File: contentonly.aspx.jpg (12 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
contentonly.aspx.jpg
12 KB, 200x200
>buy 8 pack
>2 of them always dig into the drywall and never hold grip they just drill a hole

EVERY FUCKING TIME
>>
>>963619
You're over doing it. Either screw it in by hand, or use a drill with a clutch on a low setting.
>>
>>963635
I am always doing these by hand. They get just about flush with the wall and BAM they wall holes it around it and it come right out.
>>
File: lauUWMv.png (714 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
lauUWMv.png
714 KB, 600x800
>>963641
youre running into something behind the drywall which prevents them from threading in farther.

use snips to cut the tip off. drive the screw part into the drywall.
>>
>>963619
Is there any reason you're using metal anchors?
Get the plastic version, use a 1/4" bit and SLIGHTLY wallow the hole. Use a #3 phillips.

Or what >>963653 said.
>>
It could be when the face hits the wall, I usually apply a little more pressure when it gets to that point to go the last mil, but you could flip it and scribe around it and just peel off the paper before you start
>>
File: TZTwLiq.jpg (567 KB, 2203x2937) Image search: [Google]
TZTwLiq.jpg
567 KB, 2203x2937
>>963658
>Get the plastic version
you're fired
>>
>>963635
>>963658

>making any argument for using these anchors

They're shit. There's nothing good or useful about them and have no strength or considerable load baring and just make a mess of anything they're used in.
>>
>>963658
>plastic anything anchors

Why would you ever do this? Metal cost the same as plastic and they are much stronger.
>>
Molly's, butterfly or zips are the best and only options.

Also, I've never used those WingIts as they are something like $15 bucks but I've heard good things.
>>
File: mitch.png (79 KB, 250x189) Image search: [Google]
mitch.png
79 KB, 250x189
>>963653
>sorry for the convenience
>>
>>963755
>>963669
>>963756
Are you kidding me?
They're BOTH limited by the fucking drywall. If you're going to make that argument why are you using anchors instead of toggles? Toggles are much better compared to anchors. I hang a LOT of shit on drywall with and without blocking at work. Plastic zips work really well.
>>
>>963809
This. The plastic is probably stronger than the drywall, so buying metal ones is moot.
>>
File: 2mlYZ[1].jpg (10 KB, 614x300) Image search: [Google]
2mlYZ[1].jpg
10 KB, 614x300
>>963619
I've become a big fan of these lately.
>>
these work fine if you want you can always do a small pilot hole and use some pvc or something an glue it in. They can hold quite a bit of weight
>>
I sometimes have dreams about being allowed to build a house with lath and plaster walls instead of drywall and OSB.
>>
Use a molly bolt!
>>
File: 1380430222-500x500.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1380430222-500x500.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
These shits will hold almost anything. Just use enough of them. For normal shit, two is more than enough though.
But you have to use a bore to make the hole, if you punch a hole with a hammer and a pointy thing, it will crack the dry wall, and often leave a big crater on the back side.
>>
File: 5845_APC_830x515.jpg (29 KB, 402x515) Image search: [Google]
5845_APC_830x515.jpg
29 KB, 402x515
>>
>>965903
it's shit
spins in hole while you're trying to turn bolt and it's easy to snap that part with thread
>>
>>965920
you are doing something majorly wrong
>>
>>965649
>I sometimes have dreams about being allowed to build a house with lath and plaster walls instead of drywall and OSB.

Do you wake up breathless and sweating? Sounds like a nightmare to me.

When I visit my friends in SF all their shit looks retarded.

> Can only hang shit from the picture rail. Repairing plaster is a bitch to get right.
>>
File: ae235.jpg (7 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
ae235.jpg
7 KB, 290x290
>>965920
You're shit mate.
>>
>>965930
It also doesn't break when you look at it funny, doesn't rot, is easily applied to curved surfaces and it increases energy efficiency.
>>
>>966162
>It doesn't break when you look at it funny
Have you ever lived with lath and plaster?
Brittle and falling to shit is the name of the game.
>>
>>966187
Grew up in a house built in the 1890s, fampai. Never had any problems because there were no earthquakes, the climate wasn't arid and the house was settled before my great-grandfather was playing football for Yale.
>>
>>963619
use a toggle bolt m8
>>
>>966200
Only good for a single use. This is the issue I find is that you only have to slightly over tighten them and it's game over.
>>
>>963619
>drywall
have you ever considered moving out of a cardboard box?
>>
>>963756

I've never had the plastic ones fail. So why would I ever use metal?

Professional art installer here. Museums, galleries, rich dude homes, I always use plastic anchors or sometimes metal toggles.
>>
File: 1434900016122.gif (4 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1434900016122.gif
4 MB, 400x225
>>966461
>Professional art installer
>>
I'm so fucking glad the majority of houses here in Scandinavia are mostly wood.
>>
File: 1452291093479.jpg (27 KB, 353x353) Image search: [Google]
1452291093479.jpg
27 KB, 353x353
>>966461
>Professional art installer
>>
>>963619
>>963755
Holy fuck you fail at life if you fuck these up. These are the fucking simplest, fastest and probably second strongest way to mount something to drywall after toggles. I mean I've mounted some serious fucking shit with a few of these.

>>965903
If you're going to use these nigger-rigged things, why not just use a real toggle bolt?

>>963658
>>963809
>>966461
>Professional art installer.
Lol.
Anyway, I've tried to use the plastic ones at work one time during an emergency and the screws pulled out as soon as I moved my support blocks, destroying the plastic threads inside. Used 6 instead of my usual 4 metal ones of the same size.
>>
>>966461
>>966468
>>966471
>>966484

Guy is right-- I am a dispatcher for an art install/transit company. Installers make good money (at least driver/handlers) AND tips from old rich pricks.

I don't know shit about anchors. I think sometimes we special order them based on the weight, etc.

Godspeed art anon. Perhaps we work at the same place.
>>
>>966484
I install bathroom partitions. While I'd never hang a grab bar on ANY type of anchor (there MUST be wood blocking or we won't install it for liability reasons), I have hung partitions entirely on plastic zips with 1/4 screws instead of the ones provided and it worked like a charm. They're limited entirely by the drywall though. We also hang mirrors on zips when there isn't blocking.

Hung (2) 72"x36" mirrors on white zips. Worked like a charm.
>>
>>966471
there's actually quite a lot to this. retards dont trust themselves to hang a painting incase it falls off the wall, damaging a million dollar work.

sculptures would be another one. big, heavy, fragile.
>>
>>965649
Hope you're not a big WiFi user...
>>
Why are American houses built from such shit materials?
>>
>>968736
because construction is a by the hours deal, not a salary per unit deal. Those who build it faster and JUUUST to local specs win contracts and of course happy for a time homeowners. It's also why foundations aren't built, left to rest for a year or so, THEN built upon anymore. Doing JUST THIS, would help eliminate large amounts of house settling crack issues.
>>
>>968621
I hate using WiFi and on top of that I'm a shortwave enthusiast with an outdoor antenna so I'll welcome with opening arms anything that kills RFI.
>>
>>968768
proper grading will do this as well. unfortunately 30CM FROM EDGE OF FOUNDATION GOOD ENOUGH. DONT WORRY ABOUT THAT GIANT TREE THAT WILL OVERHANG THE HOUSE AND GROW ROOTS UNDER THE FOUNDATION I WANT MY PRETTY SHADE TREE DROPPING SHIT INTO MY GUTTERS.
>>
>>963619
Are these just home projects or do you need to be time efficient here? (Eg. Work)

Takes a little longer:
Those self-drilling plastic or metal things always are a pain in the ass in my opinion. I've had good success with using plastic (non-self driving ones) - drill a hole the size you need, put the plastic piece in, tap into place with a hammer and then screw the screw.

Anyone else?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.