[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need the advice of the green-thumbed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 11
So I live in U.S. Growing Zone 5, and have an old wrought iron "decorative" fence with spacing about a spread hands wide. My dogs are not fans of the neighbors and I'm trying to find a kind of ivy that will grow up and cover the fencing, thickly like the picture, at least for spring - fall (kids are not out in the winter as much). I've checked several gardening stores nearby but get the stereotypical 17 year old "Um......" every time. Had a problem when I bought the place a few years ago with ivy growing out into the yard, so if one is available, preferably only one that grows up and out and not really across the ground.
-I know next to nothing about ivy
>>
>>963345
Don't do it OP. Ivy is the devil. Plant anything but ivy.
>>
>>963345
>wrought iron fence
dont grow anything on it. plants get heavy. they will pull the fence over. fences arn't built to hold any kind of load.
>>
File: uhhuh.gif (5 KB, 300x413) Image search: [Google]
uhhuh.gif
5 KB, 300x413
>>963372
neither was yer mum but that doesn't seem to matter
>>
File: vaso con bambu.jpg (203 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
vaso con bambu.jpg
203 KB, 1000x1000
>>963345

pic related, but with bigger and heavier pots
>>
File: iDViHZ09ncu490113oHvMPEr_500.jpg (115 KB, 467x700) Image search: [Google]
iDViHZ09ncu490113oHvMPEr_500.jpg
115 KB, 467x700
>>963413
you want anon to get overrun with pandas? they look cute but they're quite viscious
>>
File: blink.gif (2 MB, 533x300) Image search: [Google]
blink.gif
2 MB, 533x300
>>963417

that's why i said to plant them in pots and not on the ground
>>
File: t_geeps.png (12 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
t_geeps.png
12 KB, 261x195
>>963424
they're still come anon. i know they will.
>>
>>963426
Its not like they'll rape you, they can't even figure out how to bang each other.
>>
File: Oct-14-12-009.jpg (2 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
Oct-14-12-009.jpg
2 MB, 3872x2592
>>963345
Boston ivy my knee grow. Yeah yeah, you have to trim ivy and it grows all over the place, but this one is a fairly manageable one considering you trim it once or twice a year, and it looks lovely in the fall as well.
>>
>>963467
Plus, it's deciduous so in the winter you can get in there and trim it/shape it. If you want green year round go for English or Baltic, but those are a little more unruly if you forget about them.
>>
Don't use ivy. It will grow massive and destroy the whole fence.
>>
>U.S Growing zone 5
Can anyone explain translate this for me? I don't understand burgerspeak.
>>
>>963558
Explain/translate.
>>
File: homepage_map.jpg (236 KB, 637x402) Image search: [Google]
homepage_map.jpg
236 KB, 637x402
>>963558
The USDA broke the states into climate/growing zones based on highest and lowest recorded temperatures in each area. The lower the number, the colder the area and the shorter the season
>>
>>963345
I was going to say if you need quick cover, go with kudzu, it grows faster and isn't as destructive as ivy is to structures.

However, I second >>963413. I would suggest sunken concrete planters rather than pots, really, but yeah. Bamboo pretty much spreads only through roots. they go to seed something like once every 50+ years.
>>
File: infinitely rekt.gif (436 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
infinitely rekt.gif
436 KB, 320x240
>>963381
boy i tell u what
you just went and got yourself rekt
>>
File: bambuses.jpg (77 KB, 620x497) Image search: [Google]
bambuses.jpg
77 KB, 620x497
>>963424
have you ever even seen a singular bambus before? They drop these seed things that can send a new stalk rocketing up from the ground. Soon it'll have a ring of bambuses around it, and then before you know it you have bamboo. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>963562
wait it gets to -40 around the great lakes? I had no idea. I thought those kinds of temperatures only happened at santas workshop.

does it completely freeze over?
ausfag here. it rarely gets below -5 in any habitable area here.
>>
>>963656
I believe those are lowest recorded temps, not an average. I'm in southern Ohio and I've seen -25. Once. In 1984 maybe?
>>
File: dumb.jpg (12 KB, 552x310) Image search: [Google]
dumb.jpg
12 KB, 552x310
>>963636

bamboo produces seeds every 100 years more or less.
Sorry, you are just retarded
>>
>>963636
Those are shoots anon....they grow from the roots as the plant spreads.
>>
My two cents.

Most dogs hear the neighbors before they see them. So the ivy won't stop much of the dogs barking...
>>
>963656
I live in Detroit and I experienced -45 wind chill a couple times, real temp never dropped below -15. You don't know what to expect, 2 winters ago we had gas(petrol) tanks freezing on cars, last month I was setting on my back porch in a t shirt. The great Lakes can freeze, but only partially. I saw the Detroit river freeze over from a city called ecorse to canada. During prohibition they actually slid crates of booze across the river at night. If you mean freeze as in freeze solid, then that doesn't happen.
>>
>>963354
Plant bindweed anon, it'll grow faster than ivy. JUST KIDDING! I would personally pick a rose that vines, clematis (if your zone allows), wisteria, or even hops. All of these will take much longer to grow and may not be around all year, but what can be said about bindweed is also true for ivy, "the only way to get rid of it is to move." Also I'm fairly certain there exists a bamboo which does not spread like herpes.
>>
>>964995
There does. My parent's neighbors have some planted in their yard. When we were young, my brother and I would find the thickest dead pieces and fight with them. That stuff was awesome.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.