[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Multi-tools
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 18
File: multi-tool-general-1.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
multi-tool-general-1.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
I know I'm likely asking the impossible but can we have a multi-tool general thread w/o the bickering?

I'll start off by saying I know very little about tools but do want to learn more about them. One thing I do know is that multi-tools are NOT a replacement for dedicated tools but are meant to be used for less intensive jobs that may not require the dedicated tool.

On the lower-priced side I've seen multi-tools from Jeep, CRKT and other companies while Victorinox and Leatherman seem to make the tools most people regard as premium in both price and quality. Are there any multi-tools that break the rules and offer good quality at a low price?

I'd love to know what multi-tools you have/why you use them/what you specifically use them for.
>>
File: 54289-1311875.jpg (527 KB, 1971x2000) Image search: [Google]
54289-1311875.jpg
527 KB, 1971x2000
>>963312
I personally have a leatherman new wave, although i am not a particular multitool guy. Bought this one because it was recommended as, and probably is, the best value for money quality general purpose multitool on the market.
I am however an advocate of quality tools, you pay maybe 4 times the price of a cheap tool, but it'll last you 4 times as long whilst giving you the extra advantages of quality tools such as a nice sharp blade that holds its edge etc.
I've had it now for maybe 5 years and use it for all kinds of tasks mostly around the house and on vacation. Just some examples are cutting tywraps, tightening bolts on the folding tent, opening boxes, cutting electrical wire (i am an electrical engineer).
Most used are knife and pliers, followed by the serated knife, file and saw. I hate scissors on multitools so i only use those when really in a pinch but most tasks for those scissors are better done with the blade.
But as you can see the positioning of the tools in the leatherman is pretty well thought out, most used tools are easily accessed.
>>
>>963312
never buy any tool a car company slapped their name onto....

Leatherman; even a basic model will last forever properly used and cared for

you get what you pay for...that doesn't mean you have to go spend $80-$100, but don't go for the cheapest one and expect wonders

(have an older model from before they started making them with the thinner style....it only has a few things in it, but I like it that way....it's very slim and light while still feels heftier that new models like the sidekick)
>>
File: CRKT-GUPPIE.png (125 KB, 385x354) Image search: [Google]
CRKT-GUPPIE.png
125 KB, 385x354
>>963323
>>963335
What you said seems like good advice. It also seems like you both really like your Leatherman products.Disregarding prices do you know if other companies ( excluding Gerber and VIctorinox given they do ) make products that can compete?

I know CRKT has a few multi-tools that range from $20-$50 ( pic related; I find the odd shape of the tool interesting ( I didn't forget you said you get what you pay for and I'm only bringing up CRKT because they have a decent reputation ) that are supposed to be decent and it seems SOG makes some multi-tools as well.
>>
File: senior_foldey.jpg (69 KB, 519x449) Image search: [Google]
senior_foldey.jpg
69 KB, 519x449
>>963382
Personally I think victorinox are generally overpriced for what you're getting, but plenty of people are quite devoted to them. (Same goes for their kitchen stuff.)

If I had money to burn and was going to get another multitool besides a leatherman (which would be my first choice), I'd definitely look at SOG. I've had mixed impressions from the SOG folder I have, but then again, their fixed blades are (can be) quite good.

I wouldn't immediately count out gerber. Some people consider their stuff to be pretty low tier but I like the folders I have from them. Just as long as it doesn't have mr. drinks-his-own-pee's name on it.
>>
File: 20160317_171020.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160317_171020.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>963387
Came here to post same one, things lasted me almost a decade of almost daily use and I almost never go out without it in my pocket, the price of a true brand, as same with victorinox, the price of one is worth every penny, even for older or baseline models.
>>
Any recommendations for a cheap-ish light multitool to carry around?
Had one of those tiny keychain ones and it's seen plenty of use but the pliers are useless on it.

Something with decent pliers and screwdrivers. Not going to get any use out of saws.
>>
>>963432
lol nice

I don't know what they used to be priced at, but it's gotten more use than any else I've owned....simple construction but man they sure do last
>>
GERBER IS SHIT THEY HAVE SHIT PLIERS, SHIT LOCKING MECHANISMS, SHITTY SERRATIONS ON SHITTY KNIVES AND THEY ARE NAMED AFTER BABY FOOD, WHICH IS THE ONLY TYPE WHO WOULD BUY THEM, BABIES.

SOG? MORE LIKE ZOG. IT LOOKS LIKE THE SHOT YOU WOULD FIND FOR SALE AT A TRUCK STOP. GET THAT SHIT OUT OF HERE.

VICTORINOX DOESN'T EVEN HAVE PLIERS.

LEATHERMAN IS THE ONLY DECENT MULTITOOL ON THE MARKET, THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER BRAND, YOU ARE AN IDIOT WHO WILL INEVITABLY DIE FROM INJURIES CAUSED BY DEEP CUTS FROM SHITTY RUSTED SERRATIONS AFTER YOUR CHEAP MULTI TOOL INEVITABLY BREAKS
>>
if it's in all caps, it must be true...
>>
>>963447
Gerber shill
>>
File: HK-UTILITY-MULTITOOL.png (244 KB, 851x449) Image search: [Google]
HK-UTILITY-MULTITOOL.png
244 KB, 851x449
Do we know anything about the Heckler and Koch multi-tool? Pic related.
>>
The Victorinox Swisstools most certainly have pliers, and their tools are supposedly the best quality in the business. The price is high though.

I only have the Gerber Suspension (only from Gerber that is) and I can't say I'm fond of it, it feels clumsy and heavy.

I have both the Surge and PST from Leatherman but the surge is much heavier duty that I have ever needed in a tool. The PST is out of production but common enough second hand. Damn nice tool. It shows its age that's true (missing lots of modern features) but there's very little on it that's not pure utility.

I tried the SOG pocket PowerPlier as a replacement for the PST but while the pliers are nice all the inside tools feel cheap.

The Leatherman budget line (Vingman & Sidekick) seem to give you quite a lot for the money but I wouldn't start messing with off-brand tools and the like. They usually make the SOG implements look superb
>>
>>963439
What are you talking about regarding SOG? Their new tools aren't very nice but their powerlock and powerassist has just the right "chunk of steel, means business" look.
As for Victorinox you obviously missed their pliers line.
>>
I was going to get a Leatherman, and considered it for some time. Then I realized that I had a better portable screwdriver set, and all I really wanted it for was the pliers, hammer, and knife.
>>
>>963382
I've started seeing a lot of the multi-tools based around adjustable wrenches (as I assume that one is) recently; they're an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I'd trade that for the pliers, seeing as that's the tool I use most.
What's everyone's "basic" requirements out of a multitool? Personally, I usually need:
-Pliers
-Knife
-Bottle opener
-Bit driver
And it's that last one that makes them such a pain. Bulks out the tool pouch, and massively increases the cost of the tool to get one on it.
>>
File: Lol_what_is_this_I_don't_even.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
Lol_what_is_this_I_don't_even.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
Not shitposting here but how do anons use these things?i see some big fans of multi tools here and on other threads and it always makes me wonder about the different settings people use these in.seems like it would be less than optimal in any situation where full size tools could be made available.
>>
>>963574
You cant reason with anyone about them.
I carry a Victorinox Super Tinker with me everywhere, it has pretty much anything that you would need on it.

Sure, it lacks pliers like a multi tool, but if I truly needed a pair of pliers I could go to my car.

If I were in a situation where my car was that far away, or that hard to get to, it will probably be a case where I would not be able to actually carry any knife and I would not be fixing anything.

I have had a few different multitools, and they just sit on the shelf never being used.
>>
File: juice.jpg (64 KB, 727x593) Image search: [Google]
juice.jpg
64 KB, 727x593
>>963312
Leatherman Juice S2 for actually usable EDC tools
>>
>>963574
I've been carrying one for about ten years. First a bad quality Gerber that didn't have locking blades, and right now a Leatherman Wave. The most common things I've used them for have been opening mail and packages, tightening screws that were a bit loose, or mucking about with bolts when putting things together for my family when they forgot to ask me to bring other tools. The diamond file on the Wave is also perfect for getting really nice rounded edges on my fingernails.
>>
>>963585
>>963598
Seems like a pretty good "dad" accessory i guess.
>>
>>963574
The two main ones are convenience (ie, I don't wanna walk back to the toolbox to get a screwdriver for one fucking screw) and limited space (ie, I don't wanna carry my fucking toolbox through the attic just to install one fixture). In both cases, they are quite handy. Lots of people also use them for outdoors stuff, but IMO they are inferior for that cause you don't need 90% of the tools on them while camping and would be better off with a swiss army knife.
>>
File: leatherman_crunch.jpg (11 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
leatherman_crunch.jpg
11 KB, 300x200
>>963312
>>
File: an-image-for-ants.jpg (54 KB, 586x293) Image search: [Google]
an-image-for-ants.jpg
54 KB, 586x293
>>963651
>>
>>963387
To be fair, Victorinox's kitchen stuff is beastly tier. The fibrox is ugly, but in terms of actual performance you're not going to get anything better until you start spending 10x more money.
>>
>>963721
they're flimsy stamped knives and a pain to sharpen properly

if you want a blade you can easily bend, get a komachi....at least they aren't going to gouge you on the price

I've had a $20 kitchen knife for years now and it far outperforms every other one I've owned
>>
File: 3353659.jpg (32 KB, 371x507) Image search: [Google]
3353659.jpg
32 KB, 371x507
>>963740
>they're flimsy stamped knives and a pain to sharpen properly
>>
Charge TTI is the "enthusiast" tier Leatherman.

I have about a dozen leathermans and the only improvement that can be made to the Charge TTI is putting replaceable wire cutters ala the Wave or Surge.

It's worth it for the knife blade alone. The fact that they crammed CPM-s30v into it is pretty extraordinary. The diamond file and serrated blade with gut hook are also nice.
>>
>>963592
Yeah thats what I use too. My only complaints are that it is a screw driver rather than bit driver, and that the can opener folds over the scissors so you have to move that out the way every time you want to use the scissors.

Basically my problem with multitools are they're heavy. All I want are pliers, scissors, and a bit driver, that's it! Where are all the minimalist multitools at!
>>
>>963847
>tfw skeletool has no scissors.
>>
File: index.jpg (29 KB, 427x569) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
29 KB, 427x569
>>963312
multi-key
multipass
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
>>963914
>multipass
>>
I got one of these based on /diy/'s recommendation recently, it's great. The center shaft pulls out of the handle, so you can carry just the shaft+bits and squeeze it into an oversized leatherman style holster next to your other tool. I've used a Swisstool for years, best multitool I've ever used, but now that I've got this thing I want to sidegrade to something smaller, since about 50% of it is obsolete now.
>>
File: klein13in1.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
klein13in1.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
>>964135
oops
>>
>>963528

it's probably a cheap POS that is manufactured by another company as a "give-away". If their knife is any indication, it is probably made of inferior alloys/parts.
>>
File: 41JrKEeyGvL._SY300_.jpg (4 KB, 259x300) Image search: [Google]
41JrKEeyGvL._SY300_.jpg
4 KB, 259x300
>>964136
Looks cool man. I should have bought that one instead of my 6-in-1 Stanley 68-012. Def buying that next time. No such thing as too much screwdrivers I guess :)
>>
>>964168
I have one of these.
The bit quality is poor, I rounded out the phillips #2 after the first use.
>>
>>963847

Fucking A!

I've had two versions of the Charge and I use mine everyday at work. I would love wire strippers on them. Side note: the scissors on Charges are strong enough for 18/20 gauge. I do low voltage work and have cut and stripped hundreds of 18/20 (stranded and solid) with the scissors.
>>
>>963528
I have an identical tool with a different logo from China.

It's not terrible for $12, knife holds an edge well, but chips easily. None of the tools lock though.

I keep it in my boat since I don't care too much about it rusting.
>>
My biggest problem is always shitty locking mechanisms. Tools snapping on my fingers and making jobs last longer. Which ones have better locking mechanics?
>>
>>965778
Leatherman locks pretty good, i have no experience with but i heard that the gerber tools lock pretty well. I guess that any more expensive brand multitool will lock quite well
>>
>>963439
retard
>>
File: best MT.jpg (257 KB, 976x650) Image search: [Google]
best MT.jpg
257 KB, 976x650
why so many muricans?
get a pic related
>>
File: US06695667-20040224-D00003.png (133 KB, 2826x3413) Image search: [Google]
US06695667-20040224-D00003.png
133 KB, 2826x3413
Clearly the best multi tool
>>
>>967837
Most likely because there's nothing close to it in quality. Leatherman has got nothing on them when it comes to quality control.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.