[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sulphuric Ether
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: 180px-Kropka1.jpg (8 KB, 180x240) Image search: [Google]
180px-Kropka1.jpg
8 KB, 180x240
I have one bottle of Sulphuric Ether made in 11/1993, with expiry date in 11/1996. Should I keep it?
It keeps exhaling strange-smelling gases. What can I do with it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sulphuric_ether
>>
>>963170
No idea if it's good after that time, but for disposal contact your local council. Most municipalities have free for small volume chemical collection points, if they don't, check with a pharmacy and see if they have some protips.
>>
>>963181
Thanks!
>>
>>963170
It is normal that ether bottles smell slightly. The main hazards with ether are flammability (much more flammable than gasoline) and that it slowly forms explosive compounds when exposed to air (including air inside the bottle).
Nowadays its main use is as solvent. Too bad it evaporates very quickly. Apparently you can use it to start some old diesel engines in cold, too.

I don't really see why you would want to keep it.
>>
>>963170
Ether is nasty stuff. Old ether is even nastier. It has a sort of buffer in it that prevents it from forming explosive compounds from the air. If it's past date you need to get rid of it since the buffer is probably all but used up. And your sitting on a time bomb.

It really has little to no use unless your in an organic chemistry lab. It's a solvent. It's mostly used for extractions.

Be careful with the strange smelling gases it ether vapor. It was used as an anesthetic and it you breath enough of it in it could knock you the fuck out
It's vapor is heavier than air. so if you have it in a non ventilated room you wont be able to smell it but it will settle on the floor. This makes it susceptible to sparks from outlets and light switches.

Look at your local laws for proper disposal. Maybe talk to a place that sells lab equipment they should have a way to safely dispose of it
>>
add tom collins mix
>>
Pop a few rounds into it and post that shiz to yt id be interested in seeing what happens
>>
>>963199

I shot a pretty big gas refill bottle standing on burning paper with friends once. The resulting boom and fireball were bigger than I expected.
>>
>>963248
That sounds awesome and manly
>>
You have three real options OP.

Get high.
Blow it up.
Dispose of it properly.
>>
>>963170
Get to huffing OP.
>>
>>963170
Put it in your medicine cabinet. Who knows when you'll need a general anesthetic.
>>
>>963185
>Apparently you can use it to start some old diesel engines in cold, too.
Interesting! But only diesel?
>>
>>963196
>buffer
???

>extractions
???
>>
Set it on fire op.
>>
>>963197
My psychiatrist doesn't allow me to drink alcohol right now.
>>
>>963418
It works great if you want to destroy precombustion chambers.
>>
>>963199
>Pop a few rounds into it
I don't know what this means.
>>
>>963248
>I shot a pretty big gas refill bottle
Shot... With a gun?
>>
>>963292
Blowing it seems funny. How is the best way?
>>
>>963321
Not with old substances.
>>
>>963418
It's something I heard from my dad. He used it back in the day to start old diesel trucks. We are talking about trucks from the sixties and so. No idea about suitability for anything newer.

>>963423
More like stabilizer/antioxidant instead of buffer. Either way, it's an additive which retards the formation of explosive stuff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraction_(chemistry)

>>963599
It's just a bottle of flammable liquid. If that's your thing, throwing propane bottles into fire is probably more "funny".
>>
>>963370
But, there are better anesthetics out there, and this is pretty old!
>>
File: fearandloathing.jpg (166 KB, 612x802) Image search: [Google]
fearandloathing.jpg
166 KB, 612x802
Dump it on an American flag and start huffing.
>>
>>963170
Unless you work with cars or anything else with an engine, you don't need it. Dump it in you neighbor's dog's water dish. If you DO need it in the future for whatever reason, you can buy new stuff easy at any hardware store. It's more of a fire hazard now than anything else.
>>
>>963527
Inside my house?
>>
>>963557
>precombustion chambers
I don't know what this is.
>>
>>963170
If there's a university or high school nearby you can also contact their chemistry department for advice on disposal.
>>
>>963679
>American flag
I don't own one.

>start huffing
See:
>>963604
>>
>>963170
Drink it, post results....if you can.
>>
>>963685
>Dump it in you neighbor's dog's water dish.
No, I like my neighbour and his dog.

>you can buy new stuff easy
Are you sure my country's law allows this easily?

>at any hardware store
I don't know where I can find one of these.
>>
>>963170
if you need to get rid of it, just go outside at night and pour it on the concrete, it will just evaporate into the air without contaminating anything
>>
>>963901
Not sure about ether, but newer volatile anethetics like isoflurane, halothane, and sevoflurane do have fun with the ozone layer.
>>
>>963686
Yes, it makes your house indestructible.
>>
>>964021
Thanks!
>>
In all seriousness, ether is really harmful to the environment, so don't just evaporate it.

Take the bottle outside and light the top. There won't be any oxygen inside the bottle so only the gasses escaping will burn. This is how they actually dispose of the stuff because burning it only makes CO2
>>
>>964063
Why light the top? I'd like to put the liquid on a plate and throw a match inside.
>>
>>964065
The fire might be too big if you did the whole thing at once. If you have a big yard I wouldn't worry about it though.
>>
>>964067
Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-3U-TRkJx8
>>
>>964069
No that's different, yours should burn like a Bunsen burner at the most
>>
>>963248
Were your friends ok with standing on burning paper, or was it more of a spontaneous thing? And why were you shooting at a gas refill cartridge? Somebody could have been hurt.
>>
>>963185

Yeah, we usually have to prime our 1965 John Deere 4020 with ether if much below freezing.
>>
>>963588
Why not?

>>963565
It means to shoot it. Ether has a tendency to create shock sensitive explosive compounds when it has been left to lie around.

My best advice OP is to call your local FD...or shoot it if you live in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>965299
>shock sensitive explosive compounds
They aren't shock sensitive when they're dissolved in large amount of ether.
>>
>>965299
I can't shoot, in my country people can't have guns.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160321-201535.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160321-201535.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>965511
No no. Poor people can't have guns. Rich people can have guns everywhere.
>>
>>963733
It's basically just ether. You can literally find it anywhere and it's not illegal anywhere. This is just an older version of it, which is probably more hazardous than what you can get nowadays because of the chemicals used.
>>
Ether will decompose into organic peroxides over time. thats why they combine it with an oxidation inhibitor with a shelf life of about 2 yrs.

The explosive organic peroxides are usually in vapour form and are very shock and friction sensitive. One case there was a "empty" 350 mL bottle that had contained ether at one time and exploded when the ground glass stopper was removed. Be careful with that stuff it is indeed ether and this thread is legit.

If you want to make it explode, you want to vapourize the ether. I'd get a big container (lots of surface area) and gently heat it with a wire spark gap on the inside of the container to ignite the ether vapour. Connect to 12V battery and hold your breath!
>>
>>965611
Organic peroxides are usually solids. They pose their biggest threat if you evaporate the solvent away and that's when they are shock sensitive. That said, OPs bottle is so old and probably unopened that any peroxides and superoxides formed and decayed long long ago. Without a fresh source of oxygen the peroxides/superoxides stop forming.
>>
>>963170
Take it to a large empty field with no one around be a safe distance and possibly behind cover and shoot it until it explodes
>>
>>963170
unscrew it and watch your face explode.
nah seriously call the cop.
peroxide can form ether expecialy when its old
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.