[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm looking to make my own backpack. Tired of the available
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
So I'm looking to make my own backpack. Tired of the available products out there, nothing quite fits my needs and I think I can do better just making my own. I think I have all of the tools and materials I would need.

I'm thinking of something sort of like pic related. Large gussets and compression straps so that it can expand or contract as needed, because my gear varies quite a bit depending on season and what I'm doing for the trip.

My questions is in regards to a frame. I have the materials and tools to make an aluminum frame, but I really don't want a large bulky frame, and I'd prefer it to be internal. I already have a really nice external frame pack for big hikes. This pack will be for carrying gear on shorter excursions, 1-3 days we'll say.

Thus we come to my question. Anyone have experience making an internal frame? As I said, I could do aluminum, but I feel like I'd have to pad it heavily to get it to be comfortable, and that's just added weight/bulk that I don't really need. I considered thin plywood, laminating plastic lids from big Rubbermaids and cutting to shape....nothing quite sounds like what I'd need. So I'm looking for some brainstorming/ideas.
>>
File: 71Bb8Uud5EL._SL1001_.jpg (137 KB, 1001x1001) Image search: [Google]
71Bb8Uud5EL._SL1001_.jpg
137 KB, 1001x1001
For reference, this is what I've been using lately. the removable pouches are quite nice, but the picture is misleading as the pack doesn't hold its shape at all unless it is packed full of clothes or something else soft. Anything hard or just empty space will make it collapse or deform and I'm tired of it. Hence why I'm interested in making something with a light frame.
>>
>laminating plastic lids

I dont know how rigid you want it, but maybe some plastic folders are firm enough to keep your pack "in shape."

But honestly, I'd just make it without the frame, and add one later if you're really still needing one. If you pack it right, you won't even miss the frame
>>
>>963024
why can't you find an el-cheapo goodwill type store, that will have a hiking backpack with a frame already, and just build around that? you can chop it up if its too big too, just need a hacksaw.

besides that, I'd say fiberglass rods, and epoxy them together for your frame shape, keeps the weight down and bulkyness.

idk what you mean by an internal frame tho. if you where talking about something like two pieces of flat aluminum stock, running up an down, boy are you in luck.

Cut two pieces of the total length of your pack. and you can just take two pieces of fabric and put em on each side, and sew the aluminum flat stock into the backpack. TAD-DA! or if you want it removable. sew some straps on the inside to slide the frame rails into.

don't over complicate things too much, while I understand your excited to start this project, too much to learn too quickly will quickly make you just give up on it.
>>
Have you tried the Flextrek whipsnake?
>>
>>963066
A classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY
>>
>>9063052
Well this is what an internal frame looks like if you pull it out. It's essentially just a peice of stiff moulded plastic. I lack the tools and know-how to make something quite that fancy, but I'm looking for ideas for an alternative. I suppose sheet aluminum could work...any other ideas?
>>
>>963302
Two flat aluminum rods fixed in sewed pockets is what I would use. Possibly a plastic inlet spanning the whole back to stabilize the whole backpack a bit more.
>>
What about one of those car seat back supporters?
>>
>>964123
Hmm...I like it. I'll look into that one. Thanks.
>>
why not carbon fiber rods?
>>
>>964465
Try to update the thread if you get something done.
You're not alone in wishing for a proper backpack.
>>
What about old school Alice packs?
I was planning on getting one of those until I saw this thread
>>
u shud try a burlap sack , a length of rope and 3 good sticks from a bush, let me know how it goes
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.