[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys I have minor scratches on my PS2 disc and /v/'s being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: CD_radial_scratch.jpg (97 KB, 590x600) Image search: [Google]
CD_radial_scratch.jpg
97 KB, 590x600
Guys I have minor scratches on my PS2 disc and /v/'s being really fucking useless, it didn't bothered me at first but I can't seem to finish the game, would brasso work? Pic unrelated my scratches are mostly like tiny dots
>>
no idea about brasso, but I've heard toothpaste works though I've never tried it myself.

I would probably have tried it at some point if I didn't still have my crank cd doctor, works with water and friction, so I'd suggest before rubbing brasso or toothpaste all over your disks to just try buffing it out with water and a clean cloth
>>
>>963016
you need to polish the disk, look for "Aleratec - DVD/CD Disc Repair Plus System" or something like that, also that will make the disk weak, also google how to launch backup games from usb stick, so you can use a backup instead of the actual disk
>>
>>963127
>how to launch backup games from usb stick, so you can use a backup instead of the actual disk

Isn't that for modded PS2?
>>
>>963016
mod your console. it's not hard. now download roms. it's totally legal because you already own the game. the faggots just chose to distribute them on shit tier media.

your loading times will no longer be shit tier and the game will no longer bug out three hours from the last checkpoint.
>>
>>963027
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
Toothpaste actually works. Had a ps3 disk that was scratched so bad it couldn't read it anymore. After some toothpaste all was fine.
>>
>>963208
the assumption here is that the readable surface is scratched. this is rarely the case.
>>
>>963213
It's still worth a try, if it doesn't work just mod the console
>>
>>963016
>Pic unrelated my scratches are mostly like tiny dots
So when you hold it up to light you can see dots of light shining through like pic related? That's disk rot anon, caused by the metal layer of the data substrate corroding away over time. Shit is fucked I'm afraid, it literally has cancer.

>>963027
Speaking of cancer, I see you're back tripfag. What a fucking shame. Gunna help some anons strap some live animals to explosives again or have you found other ways to be a useless faggot?
>>
File: woof.jpg (16 KB, 369x305) Image search: [Google]
woof.jpg
16 KB, 369x305
>>963229
both
>>
>>963016
>brasso work
Not likely.
Get a Skip Dr. or other polishing product
>>
Video rental places might resurface it for you.
I've tried to find /diy/ repair stuff and it costs like $1 per disk. Family video will do it for $2. Not worth /diy/ing.

There's also Scratchout from walmart for about $5.
Works OK for small scratches, not so good for resurfacing the whole disk.

Instructables says vaseline works.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Remove-Scratches-from-a-CDDVD-with-Vaseline-Petr/
>>
>>963016
Go to your local movie store, they should have a disc cleaning service
>>
>>963208
OP here since my scratch were minor the toothpaste trick actually worked, I've tried toothpaste before years ago it didn't work for other disk maybe because the scratch were a bit bigger and how did your PS3 disk got scratched? I thought Blu Rays were almost impossible to get damaged
>>
>>963152
I was about to throw away my PS2 slim cause the laser got fucked, how do I mod my console and play games from a usb?
>>
Get a "disk Dr." Available at fye and amazon
>>
2000 grit sand paper, you can find this in automotive stores
>>
File: fix it you lazy arse.png (180 KB, 754x426) Image search: [Google]
fix it you lazy arse.png
180 KB, 754x426
>>963999
Just fix it you lazy arse.

If you want to softmod a PS2, get a fat one and put a big-ass hard disk in it.
>>
File: F3CV9RRHAFHKT6Y.LARGE_.jpg (62 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
F3CV9RRHAFHKT6Y.LARGE_.jpg
62 KB, 1024x768
>>963016
I just rub that shit with a banana.

It has to be unripe, when its still pretty green and the fruit is waxy.

get a good layer of banana mush on it and rub it in with the peel then wipe off the excess.

its a weird method but its worked for me time and time again
>>
>>964659
shouldnt you use saltwater as well?
>>
>>964659
Second. Worked wonders on Gran Turismo 3
>>
>>963016
OP, a CD or DVD's information is burned onto the underside of the label. The plastic disc itself is there just to add strength and give the label something to adhere to.

You can't "fill in" the scratches on a CD because the plastic is already ruined. Anything that fills in the cracks will create something of a black out that the laser won't read through. You have to have the surface of the disc refinished or resurfaced which typically means that the plastic is heated in a machine and then buffed until the surface is smooth again.

You're better off loading from a USB stick like >>963127 suggested or having it resurfaced.
>>
>>964821
>OP, a CD or DVD's information is burned onto the underside of the label. The plastic disc itself is there just to add strength and give the label something to adhere to.

This is not true for mass-produced disks, like you'd buy in a shop:
- A CD's information is on the top-side of the plastic: the foil paint is just there to make it reflective. In principle you could replace missing foil on a pressed CD and make it readable again
- A DVD or BluRay's information is inside the disk itself: the paint on top is just for decoration. During manufacture, foil layer(s) inside the disk conform to patterns etched in the polycarbonate.

>You have to have the surface of the disc refinished or resurfaced which typically means that the plastic is heated in a machine and then buffed until the surface is smooth again.
No you don't: you can just polish it with some toothpaste until the scratches are smaller than the pits the laser is trying to read. Go radially: if you go round and round your scratches will line up with the tracks.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.