[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay so I got these turning tools and I need to turn handles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_6242.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6242.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Okay so I got these turning tools and I need to turn handles to so I can turn with my turning tools.

What do you think of the following idea:
>>
File: 51Jbu2QsjFL._SY355_.jpg (24 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
51Jbu2QsjFL._SY355_.jpg
24 KB, 355x355
As you can see, turning tools with wood handles have ferrules to prevent the wood fibers at the end of the handle from splitting apart.

But I don't want to buy ferrules.
>>
File: Big Game.jpg (425 KB, 1640x1381) Image search: [Google]
Big Game.jpg
425 KB, 1640x1381
But what if I used fishing line or maybe even just twine coated in epoxy and wrapped it tight around the end in lieu of a metal ferrule? I am quite certain that fishing line is stronger than steel of equivalent thickness, and wrapped tight with epoxy would form a composite not unlike carbon fiber or some other ultra strong modern material.

And plus this would make it easy to turn the 'ferrule' portion of the handle, as it eliminates the task of precisely turning the tenon to the exact thickness of the interior diameter of a metal ferrule.

Thoughts?
>>
>>962973
If you don't turn your turning handles with the turning tools that they will go on then you've failed.
>>
It has occurred to me that fishing line won't work, because it won't absorb the adhesive and the thing that makes composites like carbon fiber or glass reinforced polymers so strong is that the epoxy is soaked into the 'thread matrix' or whatever.

And I don't know if twine or yarn would work well with the two part epoxy I had in mind, since epoxy is pretty viscous and won't saturate the threads. What would be the best epoxy or adhesive or whatever for this?
>>
I've got a few turning chisels with twine where a ferrule should be, it looks like it's been soaked in glue and wrapped, however the handle has not only been drilled to accept the shank of the chisel but sawn down about an eighth of an inch to allow the twine to cramp the shank.

The glue I think is old hide glue, chisels where my grandfathers and that was his main adhesive , it also looks brown like hide.
>>
>>963001
The individual fibres don't soak up epoxy, you just have to make sure there's no bubbles for it to be at maximum strength. Even that wouldn't be 100% critical, this isn't an aircraft you're building.
What I would do is mix some epoxy, and run the line through it to make sure it all gets epoxy on it. You can then manually wind it if you want, or you could try putting the handle in the chuck and using the lathe to wind it.
>>
>>963001
Fibreglass resin should work, why not experiment with a couple of kinds of string?
>>
>>963006
>but sawn down about an eighth of an inch to allow the twine to cramp the shank.

Great idea. Thanks for mentioning that.
>>
>>962975
Just buy some copper pipe caps and drill out the middle.
>>
>>963032
Or if you're like me, go out in the garage, spend ten minutes finding some half inch copper pipe, spend half an hour finding your pipe cutter, and cut yourself some 3/8" long pieces of pipe itself.
>>
File: common_whipping.jpg (50 KB, 464x563) Image search: [Google]
common_whipping.jpg
50 KB, 464x563
You're overthinking it. Whipping has been used for this purpose for centuries and it works marvelously. A bit of wood glue, varnish, or just about anything to keep the whipping in place is all you need to add to it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.