[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I found the "mini metal foundry" on indestructables
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: The_Mini_Metal_Foundry-624x350.png (327 KB, 624x350) Image search: [Google]
The_Mini_Metal_Foundry-624x350.png
327 KB, 624x350
So I found the "mini metal foundry" on indestructables and elsewhere I see guides for similar foundrys. Now they all say to use a 10 quart steel pail. Now most of them say a galvanized steel pail is fine. I guess since it's insulated with the plaster and play sand the pail itself never gets hot enough? Because I know galvanized steel will fuck your shit right up if it gets hot enough with the fumes.

Anyone have any opinions on this?
>>
I made one with a galvanized steel bucket. The outside definitely gets too hot to hold bare handed, but it barely discolors. Definitely not enough to release enough fumes to fuck your shit up.
>>
>>962959
excellent, good to know. DO you know how stainless steel would do? I'm not sure at what temp it gets all fucky with chromium fumes. I have an old industrial coffee thermos I was thinking about using.
>>
File: coffee.jpg (779 KB, 376x668) Image search: [Google]
coffee.jpg
779 KB, 376x668
>>962961
Pic related
>>
>>962965
Holy shit. I just realised how many stainless cylindrical things I've scrapped.
Thanks for the idea.
>>
>>962970
So it should be fine then? Not gonna give myself chromium poisoning?
>>
I made this mini furnace just last year, with the exact same steps in the video. I knew that the zinc plating would lead to metal fume fever, so I put on a gas mask and sanded down the bucket. Sanding the zinc coating off would create zinc particulates that are obviously harmful if you breath it in, but you should be good with a good mask. I'd imagine that the particulates wouldn't get through, but the fumes would.
>>
>>962958
Zinc only burns at red heat or so. The outside of your bucket isn't going to get that hot. Besides, zinc oxide isn't all that terrible. It's not a cumulative poison and you only have trouble if you breathe a ton in. Basically if you see white smoke just hold your breath and move away from it, like you would for any other plume of smoke.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.