[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gimmick Tools
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9
File: 2016-03-16 13.41.04.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-16 13.41.04.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Lets have a thread where we discuss gimmicky tools, for good or best.

>What tool are you ashamed of buying that looked cool at the time?
>Ever bought a tool you thought would be great only to be worthless and/or stupid?
>Ever bought a tool you thought would be worthless and/or stupid and turn out to be great?
The more "features" the better

Thought of this when I saw this screwdriver and had to have it, it's powered, lights on the tip, a small wire stripper on the side, a slot below the bit where you can coil wire, and when you hold down a button it beeps when you bring it near live wires.
Got it thinking it'd be great when I was doing some CNC milling as I could quickly remove/tighten alignment screws without having to take my workpiece out of the clamps, turns out the wire detection is also pretty handy for checking cat5's (A bit less than it could be though as my hand sets it off)

Also of note, an autoloading screwdriver from ThinkGeek years ago, it's actually crazy useful since I got the electronics size and it means instead of keeping up with a using 6 tiny screwdrivers, I've just got 1 of a proper size
>>
File: 91y6aW0tOKL._SL1500_.jpg (266 KB, 1500x1435) Image search: [Google]
91y6aW0tOKL._SL1500_.jpg
266 KB, 1500x1435
The only use I've had for this is engraving my name and address on tools that are worth buying/stealing.
>>
File: 2016-03-12 18.53.16.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-12 18.53.16.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>962823
The use of a Dremel tool is only limited by your imagination, you can seriously do pretty much anything with them
>Firing pin plunger in my dad's old pistol broke
>Go buy a drill bit with a shank the right size
>Cut out notch with my trusty old B&D Versa Pak
>Cut off the shank at the length I need
>Shit works
>Go out and buy a Dremel 4000 the next day because fuck the age of the Versa Pak really showed against that tough drill bit

But anyways, you can basically do anything with a rotary tool (Disclaimer: Does not mean you should)
Stupid shit I've done, mostly in HS when our robotics team only power tool was a dremel like the one you posted
>Cutting and perforating sheet metal for bending
>Cutting Lexan as well as knocking out holes for bolts
>Cutting fiberboard and plywood
>Cutting a piece of 3" hex bar stock (Would not recommend)
>Breaking cutoff wheels and embedding them in our safety glasses/the walls
>Cutting hose for air lines
>Drilling pilot holes in wood
I'm sure I can think of more stupid bullshit, we were planning to bronze the thing when it finally broke but it just never gave up
>>
>>962862
I get what you're saying but without wanting to sound like a pretentious prick, I have tools better suited to task.
>>
>>962823
>>962870

You're not a real diy'er then. A rotary tool is useful for so much hobby work. Right now I'm sharpening my lathe cutting tools with mine. A bench grinder would be great but I don't got room and money for that shit.
>>
>>962870
I completely understand that a dremel is by no means the best tool for very many individual task, but if you've got enough proper tools to not need it then I envy the size and scope of your workshop

Man, now I feel like I'm sounding like a pretentious prick
>>
>>962876
wait... you have spaceand money for a lathe, but not for a bench grinder? 'splain...
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 400x400
I've got two, first was from watching too much aVe on Youtube, and I got a hammerhead adjustable wrench. I use it every day without fail at work.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 450x450
The second is called a rotator ratchet. It's my favorite ratchet, it is the best ratchet, all bow down to the ratchet!

The gimmick is: it works like a regular ratchet, plus you can advance the head fast by cranking on the handle like it was a screwdriver. It's particularly dandy for work in tight spaces, (despite being a bulky thing) since you can use the handle to catch a lock in a tighter space than a regular ratchet.
>>
File: 41s-XgSjppL.jpg (18 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
41s-XgSjppL.jpg
18 KB, 500x328
>>962811
It doesnt lock hard like a vise grip does, if you try and hit it with a deadblow it pops off.

The only reason regular adjustable wrenches round off is because when you pull it off and go fast each turn, it slightly loosens up.
If you slow down and retighten it every time, you wont round off

Retightening every turn is much faster than clamping and unclamping the vise grip version.

To real world use for it.
>>
File: 3inAutomaxxFaceClamp.jpg (16 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
3inAutomaxxFaceClamp.jpg
16 KB, 400x400
The Kreg Automaxx vise grip.

Now you may wonder "why the fuck would I spend $30 on this?" That is until you see how the only thing you adjust is the clamping pressure with a small screw, then watch with amazement as you never need to adjust for the thickness of the things you clamp. probably the only real disruptive technology made in hand tools since the invention of the original vise grip and I highly recommend it.
>>
>>962913
If their bench clamps and inserts/track were cheaper, I would probably buy them and put them on my work table.

But man the inserts are 15$ and the clamps are like 40$. Thats insane
>>
File: 6000c.jpg (47 KB, 800x545) Image search: [Google]
6000c.jpg
47 KB, 800x545
>>962892
Micro mill and lathe I got off kijiji. Scored both for $400 plus almost all the tooling pictured, the package normally goes for $4000 new once you include taxes.
>>
>>962917
>>962913

>not buying the kreg pocket hole jig with clamp $40 "special" during Christmas or fathers day.

If you can sell the jig set by itself on Craigslist for $20 (normally $30-40) you can half the price. I did that to have 4 of those clamps
>>
>>962876
>not a diyer

You're right. I'm a tradesman who happens to come on /DIY.
>>
>>962926
Is it the Automaxx clamp or the standard face clamp?

AFAIK they only package the automaxx with the $160 K5 jig.
>>
>>962862
>Breaking cutoff wheels and embedding them in our safety glasses/the walls

My roommate/landlord was trying to widen a vent hole in his ductwork with a rotary tool

>dude I got tin snips
No I think ill be fine.
Continues to throw sparks on his real hardwood floor
>dude you might wanna put down a drop cloth.
Nah it'll be fine
>okay.... Later

As I walk off his cut off wheel explodes and cuts up his lip pretty good.

A week later
>hey anon do you know why is the finish on the floor all speckled ?
>>
>>962895
Looks pretty rad to be honest
>>
>>962894
If this comes in sizes big enough for a rigger to use I just cracked a fatty
>>
File: turn_yor_head_and_coghlans.gif (2 MB, 536x465) Image search: [Google]
turn_yor_head_and_coghlans.gif
2 MB, 536x465
I got the Coghlan's 12-in-1 scissors. It's kind of 1/2-in-1 one but I still love them. They were a xmas gift from anon :3
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.