[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Live with parents for 20 years >They never did any house
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: cryingfeelman.jpg (67 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
cryingfeelman.jpg
67 KB, 535x577
>Live with parents for 20 years
>They never did any house maintenance
>Grandparents die
>They move into their old bungalow
>I'm living alone now
>House is getting worse
>leaks everywhere
>floorboard breaking
>mold starting to spread
>min wage poorfag
>Can barely afford bills and food, I'll never be able to afford a builder
>even material and tools for diy is beyond my budget

I just can't live in these conditions any more. I've learned a lot and fixed a lot, but there is so much mroe that still needs doing
>>
>>962746
>step one: find good paying job
>step two: start small, work your way up (maintance wise)
>step three: get your pay, work on your hose

within two-3 years you will be fine
>>
>pics.

and start with fucking mold, like srsly. Start now.
Its not a costly action, and you'll feel greatly improved afterwards, trust me.
>>
>>962746

Leaks first. They are the likely source of most of the problems.

If it is your parents house still tell them that shit needs to happen but you can't afford to help with material.

Offer your services if they provide the material. Don't sink your wages into the house because they can still sell it out from underneath you making more money from your hard work and funds
>>
>>962750

I got rid of most, but I keep finding new little spots where it's hidden. Opened some cupboard that I haven't opened in about 3 years, and now I feel dizzy and nauseous.

>>962753
>Leaks first. They are the likely source of most of the problems.

I fixed several already, but the shower leak is the most awkward, because the leak is under the shower itself. Do I cut out the ceiling panel from the stairway below, or up the floorboard and try and find a way of getting under?
>>
>>962753
>Don't sink your wages into the house because they can still sell it out from underneath you making more money from your hard work and funds

this fucking worrys me a lot, when my father comes around on the odd occasion, he complains about how bad the house is getting, not that he ever ever put any effort into it.
>>
>>962758
sounds like you need to fix plumbing or simply add silicon around your shower, go from the floorboard because if that shit got wet it needs replacing anyway

i am not a robot
>>
>>962758

I have no idea how your house looks or your layout.

For all I know it would be easier to ask the guys in the attached police station next door if you can pull some dry wall as it is right behind your shower.

>>962759

Well you and he need to come to an agreement that both parties are comfortable with.

Next time he comes around and complains just offer to do what you can with what he supplies. Don't go too far beyond your means either, get a little uncomfortable, sure, but don't go rewiring the house if you have no idea.

I know nothing of your current arrangement but I'd you are living there for free and bills paid then I'd say you can put some hours in. If you are paying the bills then not so many hours. If you are renting from them then find a new landlord. I would say never material but hell if a light bulb blows I wouldn't go running to them for $3

When they kick you out will you be able to carry the new floor with you?
>>
>>962746
Do you have siblings? Otherwise why should you have to foot the whole bill just to have the house go to ALL of you? Assuming the house is not in your name, you could get screwed over in the future.
>>
find sources of the leaks and mold first
mold is awful but it'll slowly come back if you clean it if you don't at least nigger rig a fix while saving up for a proper fix.
check foundation for cracks, both inside and outside, they're expensive as hell to fix properly, and get worse every year if you're in an area that freezes, so you'll need to inform your parents of it, because you'll never afford that.
if it's just lines leaking you're a bit better off, though it could just as likely be the siding, or your roof, you just need to do a good inspection and track the problems down.
water is one of the most destructive forces to homes.

don't put any of your money into it unless its small stuff that can prevent a lot of damage, like if your shower isn't caulked or needs to be re-caulked, caulk your shower.
>>
>>962758
>and now I feel dizzy and nauseous
This is terrible!
>>
>>962746
Yard sales, kiddo.

Hone that skill and the gracious gods will always provide.

Tools, supplies, surplus you can flip for cash ...
>>
>>962749
>find good paying job
It's like everyone with a poor paying job or no job just don't want money. No other reasons whatsoever.
>>
File: carpet-bathroom.jpg (28 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
carpet-bathroom.jpg
28 KB, 360x480
>>962750
>>962759
>free board
>no money
something is wrong with this picture. just moved back in with my dad and I'm using my NEETbux to repair appliances and the house, buy garden tools ect. it's only aud400$/week but it pays for everything I need.

first step is to clean out the gutters and valleys. then silicone any holes in the roof.
next make air particle filters. you have a leaky moldy house. so fuck off the carpet. carpet in a house full of mold is kill. polish floorboards or lay down something reasonable not some bullshit boomer rug shit. pic related: carpet doesnt belong in a house. if you must have a rug, it should be able to be removed and drycleaned or thrown away once its had its fill of dog shit walked into it.
>>
Lots of good advice, especially about mold and ownership and maintenance costs.
1. Work out the details with your parents.
2. find a decent housemate and spend their rental money on materials.
>>
>>962746
Look at the big picture, you own a house
Keep that in mind
>>
>>964232
>$400 AUD a week on Centrelink while living with a parent

What the fuck, you an abo or something? I get $500 Studybux a fortnight from centrelink.
>>
File: xOasShD.jpg (353 KB, 2048x1447) Image search: [Google]
xOasShD.jpg
353 KB, 2048x1447
>>964269
DSP, friend.
I just tick the homeless box.
I justify it by applying the homelessness definition from the UNHRC.

at the moment I am building mushroom cultivating equipment but also tossing up whether to throw it all in and just buy a shit motorbike, fix it up and go travelling around the country jumping from one backpackers to the next.
>>
>>964269
also I am going on an all expenses paid vacation to japan for two weeks in about two months. thanks wagecucks.
>>
>>964276
Holy shit Centrelink is retarded

Homless get $500 a week, can afford rent
Rent home, drop down to $600 a fortnight
Study to try and find skilled employment, drop down to $500 a fortnight

It's like they don't want people to work.
>>
File: Ecstasy-ad.jpg (58 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
Ecstasy-ad.jpg
58 KB, 300x400
>>964282
yah. I met people who abused the shit out of it while being a NEET on holiday. you can just say that you are "couch surfing" which means that you have a roof over your head, get fed ect. literally nothing at all to do with being homeless. essentially they wont treat my ADD with CNS stimulants(the only thing that is proven to work) because le ICE epidemic. so I told the normie psychiatrist that my parents pimped my out as a child and broke down in tears. got a thousand good boy points. I dont even try to fit in anymore.

>the condensor waste water drains into the sewer
>this means MDMA is made in a toilet
>>
>>962746
OP I feel. I moved out of my parents house because every house they live in they kill and I'm dreading when they're old.
>>
>>964282
They don't. They want you to be dependent on the state so you keep electing them while they enjoy their abuses of power. Power over others is the best drug.

Are you two niggers or abos? Or just white degenerates?
>>
>>964298
just disabled. there's medication that can fix it that costs 6$. but they wont let me have it because meth hysteria. so i just spend my days on /diy/ doing as best as I can to build things.

look up rapoport and eisenberg. it's a real thing that's been studied for years. also i get some medication on the side from other people with scripts. but Its infrequent and not enough.
>>
>>964304
I've never seen a case of add so bad that it ruined someone's life. There has to be something else.
>>
>>964309
you've probably never seen a genuine case of ADD. it's a common diagnosis because there's an increasing trend to treat with non-stimulant medication. meaning children and adults are being diagnosed with an attention deficit and being treated with medication to make them derp. there's actually a fair bit of study that indicates that parents self-medicate their own headaches by drugging their children. the first randomized control trial of stratera for example showed that in the 6 and 7 year olds it made them derp and herp but didnt help the child with their learning disability. the parents and teachers however raved about its efficacy. there's also a medication that causes low blood pressure that they use. essentially it's aversion therapy. get excited, active, stand up too quickly and you get nauseous because there's not enough blood to the brain so you're forced to herp.

a diagnosis of ADHD is more likely to get a kid mainstreamed as opposed to put in a special school if they're diagnosed with schizophrenia or a psychiatric disorder. so it's sort of an under the table way of treating mental illness while avoiding the diagnosis and enhancing medication compliance. this however has led to the present state of affairs wherein ADD/ADHD is rightly considered a bullshit diagnosis for being such a catch-all.
>>
>>964298
I'm a student.
>>
>>964309
perhaps I should explain the phenomenology of the problem.
if you have a learning disability, the coloquial understanding is that the human soul is seperate from the body and so by using the secret, all problems can be overcome through shear force of will. this leads to people reinforcing the story of the tortoise and the hare as the explainatory narrative. that people are just not trying hard enough. so while living with a learning disability, you get constantly penalized for not trying hard enough. and constantly hammered into you to just try harder. failing this, people assume that you just dislike them or have some kind of antisocial problem because you dont want to succeed and fuck up on purpose. this constant sense of failure leads to epic sour grapes wherein the ego-protective mechanism kicks in and you develop endogenous depression and withdraw from society.

cant escape from personal hell because no matter how hard I push myself to force myself to work harder and concentrate,
>go to measure timber
>measure twice
>didnt notice measuring tape slipped
>cut
>it's 2cm too short
>keep messing up on the job and wasting materials
>lose job

>try to read text book for school
>cant remember paragraph just read
>read again
>gone
>get told I just need to go to bed earlier and eat fruits and vegetables
>>
>>964323
>>964332
Thanks for the info. I was genuinely curious and one both of you posted well thought out posts.
>>
>>964332
It's even more fun when all your relatives are religious nutjobs and deny the very concept of mental disorders.
>you need to be praying more

That's on top of the usual
>you're just lazy
>you just like being sad

Would be nice if there was a DIY solution to this.
>>
>>964412
ohhh I get that as well. even when they arn't specifically saying prayer is the solution, they really are saying that prayer is the solution.

>dad has had some kind of mental break
>house is full of dog shit and stings to walk barefoot due to soaked in dog piss salts
>gutters rusting off the house
>garden overgrown
>have been working hard to slash back shit and throw away piles of rotten vegetables sitting around house in baggies
>ripped up carpet in room I am living in
>he keeps telling me that I need to visit japan
>also that I need to find my spirit animal
>>
>>962746
If you are located in the US, you can get grants/loans specifically for renovating your home.

Especially if you are living in a moldy cardboard box house.
>>
>>964287

Im sorry. I have ADHD as well snd i know how it is. Find a different psych. I visit mine and get 90 dextro tabs each month.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.