[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First MIG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Hobart-Handler-140.jpg (37 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Hobart-Handler-140.jpg
37 KB, 400x400
I need to replace a few body panels on my project car, I want to do this legitimately and not fiberglass and epoxy halfassing.

All the panels are fairly thin steel, body panels are slightly thicker than 18 gauge steel.

I've been looking at 115v units as I don't have a bunch of money to spend on it, there is nothing on the car a 120v unit couldn't do, and I have no access to a 240v outlet.

So far looking at the Millermatic 141, around $800. I've heard hobart and lincoln are also good, but most of them in this price range have a voltage selection switch that has 4 or 5 setting instead of an adjustable output like the Millers do.

Any other suggestions or should I start saving for the Miller 141?

I won't be using flux core, I'll probably buy a small-ish gas bottle. I need to replace both front quarter panels and fix a few rusty spots.
>>
Yes a smal 120v with argon gas.

You want to use as little heat as possible to keep the metal from warping. Spot welding

Youtube how to put on quarter panels.
>>
>>962566
The Hobart is identical to the mm 141, other than ththat fact the Miller has infinite variable dials and the Hobart has taps. Do not use straight argon. Use 75 25 other wise known as c25. Buy the Hobart 140 and don't look back.
>>
>>962570

Thanks, I've been watching and reading a lot. Sounds like lots of tack welds and stitching to reduce warping.

The front panels are held on with a buttload of spot welds from the factory, I'm going to start drilling them out this weekend.

There are a few areas that I would have to go slowly and stitch a little at a time.
>>
>>962575

c25 seems to be what everyone recommends, the reason I wanted to stay away from the hobart 140 was the selector switch instead of variable dials.

Is it not as big of a deal as some people make it sound?
>>
Bumping for daytime.

Sure are a lot of cheap POS looking no-name brands, along with people trying to sell their used name brand machine for $100-200 above the price for a new one.

So, how big of a deal is the 4 or 5 setting voltage selector vs infinitely variable?
>>
>>962577
Not a big deal at all, if your doing lots of the same material over and over again, infinite variable dials are nice, but for one off jobs it's not worth the extra price. I'm a professional welder and I use a mm200 5 heat tapped and I love it since I'm always changing heats and speeds,, just mark your dials for different heat ranges and you will be fine.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.