[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/ Excuse the very poor drawing, but I hope it makes sense.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: poordrawing.png (31 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
poordrawing.png
31 KB, 800x600
Hi /diy/

Excuse the very poor drawing, but I hope it makes sense.

I am building a cockpit for simulations. The design I have is going to be roughly like the picture. The black box will be the main structure that someone sits in. The light blue piece is a canopy that goes over the user, just like in a real plane.

The darker blue is a support structure for the front of the cockpit canopy.

My question concerns the red thing. Basically, the canopy overhangs the main structure and to make it look nice, I would like a curved wood piece on the outside, to match the overhang and make it not a giant box.

The front structure is narrower at the front, as the canopy narrows at the front too.

So how do I get some wood to bend in the two directions. In the direction you can see from the back view, but also to curve in at the front as you can see on the top down view.

Several sections? How would I then match them together to make it seem a smooth line on the outside.

What materials to use?
>>
Most simpit builders work out their panel and seat placement first and then go from there.
Checkout places like forums.eagle.ru and viperpits.org
If you want a predesigned pit that you can either modify or build around, look for the AkersBarnes pit.
>>
You're probably gonna be stuck using 1/8" or 1/4" plywood or masonite. Ideally you'd have to build an internal structure to attach it to, so it can retain its shape. Hell you might even have to score it depending on how sharp your curves are

Way I would do it is build a internal structure nail and pl that son ova bitch down and then scribe the outside profile to meet the the profile of the "fuselage"

Get a jigsaw and start practicing curves. Also when cutting a curve dont put any weight on the jigsaw, let the saw pull itself through cut, use your hand to adjust the direction only.

Also to start large on the ply and whittle your way to your finish dimensions.
>>
>>962426
I have it all built, it's just the red outer curves that I am trying to fit on.

>>962427
See, I started with doing that internal structure stuff and it works at the back. It's just where I start to curve in at the front as well that a problem occurs, because it starts throwing the back out and feels like there is a lot of tension in it.

Not sure what cuts you are suggesting with the jigsaw?
>>
>>962427
Oh wait, the jigsaw cuts for the internal structure for the shape, yeah got you.

I started making those and it works to curve the wood in one direction, but not the two.

Maybe my material is too thick and I need something thinner.
>>
The best option I can I think of is a living hinge. But on a scale that big and without a laser cutter it would be incredibly time consuming process. Not worth it unless you are ok with cutting thousands of small lines.
>>
>>962434
Would a CNC router be too much? Not accurate enough compared to a laser cutter?
>>
>>962431
Jigsaw guy here I reread and misunderstood you

Have you tried making like a paper minature ? I feel like you might be running into trouble cause you're trying to "fold" material Inna way that isn't possible. Would be it be more feasible to do it in smaller sections (i.e. Like a normal aircraft is full of access panels) instead of using one long piece for each half use like 5 pieces for each half.

Instead of trying to throw the curve hamburger style go hot dog style instead?
>>
>>962410
How are you going to have it CNC'd if you can't even draw it?
>>
>>962450
I don't have any exprience with CNC but it would probably be fine.
>>
>>962453
Initially we were hoping to just whack it on in one go. But probably we do need to do it in at least two sections for where the canopy starts to pinch in.

>>962454
>>962459
I have a friend who is not a retard when it comes to drawing
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.