[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to stop fire alarm chirping from hell?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_3961.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3961.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>Fire alarm chirps every minute or so
>Change battery
>Still chirps
>wat
>Buy new fire alarm
>STILL CHIRPS
>Take fire alarm off of wall, remove battery
>still fucking chirps.
>realize
>The chirping is coming from the fucking wall.
Like the socket where the fire alarm screws in (pic related).
It's literally coming from inside there.
>Shut off power to house (twice)
>STILL FUCKING CHIRPS

help me
>>
Did you change all the batteries of all the fire alarms in the place? My living room one is the only one that beeps when a battery is dead in a different room.
>>
File: Ding_Dong.jpg (28 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Ding_Dong.jpg
28 KB, 512x384
>>962024
Call Senor Ding Dong
>>
>>962028
Its gotta be this
Inside the wall is just a wiring harness for the fire alarm

Chirping comes from the piezo buzzer inside of the alarm.
>>
>>962030
It's definitely coming from in the wall.
Either that or I've actually gone crazy. Other people have heard it though.

>>962028
I changed all the batteries when I got new detectors.
>>
>>962036
Whats on that harness?
Pull it all the way out, is there a chirp sensor on it?

Its going to be something you overlooked and feel dumb when you figure it out.
>>
>>962036
Well fuck, I'd check the fuse box next. There should be one dedicated to fire alarms if you're in burgerland.
>>
>>962044
Already tried that, not there, am in burgerland though.
>>
File: kip_peace_out.jpg (16 KB, 420x357) Image search: [Google]
kip_peace_out.jpg
16 KB, 420x357
>>962024

a lot of smoke detectors will still chirp after the power has been disconnected/battery removed. Give it another minute or so to completely drain leftover juice. Chirping definitely comes from smoke detector, not wiring inside ceiling. Check all smokes and stare at it for at least a minute. LED of problem unit should flash red even if solid green. If replacing battery doesn't resolve it, replace smoke detector.
>>
>>962057
It's been going for 14 hours. And is definitely not the smoke alarm, because I've taken the smoke alarm outside, gone back in the room, and still heard the chirps coming from the same area.
>>
Maybe some asshole previous owner put drywall over an older smoke alarm. But you might have to rip out your ceiling to find it then.
>>
I don't know where you are, but I more than once installed a hardwired Smokey in the attic, directly on the other side of lid from another Smokey. If your on the top floor go up in the attic and check.

Gonna need a flashlight and a dust pan to move the blown insulation out of the way.

Wear cowboy boots if you have them, they make moving around the attic easier.
>>
In my old house, the Alarm box had a Battery Backup unit and the battery was bad. When I unplugged the panel from the wall AND disconnected the battery, no more chirp.
>>
>>962065
>>962060
It's on the ceiling of first floor, so if there is one up there please god kill me.
>>
File: QqH2zYs.gif (16 KB, 600x196) Image search: [Google]
QqH2zYs.gif
16 KB, 600x196
>>962024
do you share a wall with a neighbor? could it be the neighbor's smoke detector?
>>
File: IMG_3965.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3965.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>962072
Nope. In our ceiling.

Also, unrelated, could any of these be the power for the alarm system?
>>
>>962058
Some one must really hate you. They bought a noise maker prank and stuck it inside the hole.
>>
>>962029
Unhelpful and not funny at all, if you are not going to contribute, please refrain from posting at all.
>>
>>962319
Why do birds suddenly appear ... ?
>>
File: waaambulance_131849927469.jpg (29 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
waaambulance_131849927469.jpg
29 KB, 490x490
>>962319

relax man... its 4chan you have to expect the unexpected even on DIY
>>
>>962347
op here, not me
>>
>>962391
Op here jk it was me
>>
>>962394
OP here both wrong, I am >>962029
>>
>>962319
>you must be 18 years of age to use this website
>>
>>962024
I'm willing to bet someone is fucking with you. I once took an old cellphone and set the alarm to go off every 30 seconds and ducktaped it inside of my roomate's headboard.

He wound up taking his whole bed apart before he found it. If someone isn't screwing with you, then you're losing your mind.
>>
>>962319
But I helped after my joke post, you didnt like my sick reference bro?
>>
Actual OP here, update:

It was the goddamn mother fucking carbon monoxide detector.
>>
>>962401
>>you must be 18 years of age to use this website
Which is exactly why you can't, if you aren't going to contribute, get the fuck off my board
>>962466
Prove it faget.
>>
Sounds like someone put an annoyotron in your ceiling.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ihvg/
>>
Sucks to be you man, but sucks worse to be me.

>live in a row of units
>neighbours on one side go missing one day
>they were old and disabled so probably died or living in a hospital or something now
>Their unit always smells of piss
>a week after they disappear their radio alarm goes off
>loud as fuck classical music 24/7
>cops can't do shit because not loud enough to cause a disturbance but I can hear it when I'm trying to sleep, through my bedroom wall
>The units are all mirror images of eachother so it's bedrom to bedroom
>eventually power to their unit gets shut off
>no more radio
>can sleep peacefully again
>a couple months later (about a week ago)
>smoke detector starts chirping
>fuck my life
>>
>>962542
Oh, I thought you were going to detail about how you got fed up, went over there, and found their dead bodies.
>>
>>962058
OP, maybe it is a mole repelling chirping device!
I'm not joking, my neighbour boug this shit last summer.
I thought i went batship, i thought the sound came from nowhere (it was near ultrasounds). After couple weeks i went to his proprty and disposed of this shit placebo mole repeler.
>>
>>962518
kek
>>
>>962571
Nah, if I ever started to smell something other than piss I would have the cops bust that place open and turn all their shit off (and get rid of their bodies I guess)

Though I did have a neighbour that died once...didn't find him for a few weeks, let's just say that he owned a dog that got hungry and I don't envy the police that found him...
>>
>>962024
teh red wire netowkrs together all the alarms and they all go off if theres a bad abttery
>>
>>962074
You need to disconnect the UPS/battery back up from the alarm system. That's where it's getting power from.
>>
>>962520
>my board
Watch out, the boss of 4chan is here. Do exactly what he says or... Well, nothing will happen, really.
>>
>>962029
i thot it was funny
>>
>>962520
Seniõr Ding-Dong here, joke was funny.
>>
Start a real fire, your alarm won't be chirping for no reason then
>>
>>962754
Get off my board, stupid kid.
>>
>>963526
Goddamn dude there's like hardly any people on diy, and these threads last forever, why would you even care
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.