[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doe anyone have an idea on how to moke an shield boss like this.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: bossa para escudo.jpg (63 KB, 600x464) Image search: [Google]
bossa para escudo.jpg
63 KB, 600x464
Doe anyone have an idea on how to moke an shield boss like this. I have the shield, but no boss.
>>
what are your resources?

ideally, you need a mushroom-shaped stake, a torch for heating, and to "raise" the dome- but there's no point even explaining how, if you dont have the equipment. its cheaper just to buy a shield boss from any reenactment website.
you can depress down, to dish with just a sandbag, but it thins the metal, so you need to work with 14 or even 12ga sheet for that. whereas with raising you can do it in 16ga.
>>
In the matter of power tools i have some drills, a bench grinder and a jigsaw. To hand tolls i have a variety of them, except a propper anvil, I just use a iron block.
>>
>>961410
look for a thick wall tube with the inside diameter of the dome diameter.
Fasten the sheetmetal with screws/clamps, whatever.
Start hammering your way dowm.
If you have explosives you could replace the hammer with water over the sheet and the explosion will push the metal to the right shape.
>>
>>961410
Cut a hole in a board with a big holesaw, then cut the board in half so you have half a hole. That's your form. Get a sheet of copper (not steel, you won't be able to do it), lay it over the form, and beat it with a hammer while rotating it, until it takes the shape of the form. If it gets too stiff to work anymore, anneal it with a blowtorch. If you want it black again when you're done, either heat it up (which will make it soft) or cover it in sulfur and let it sit for a day. If you don't have any copper sheet, find the biggest diameter copper pipe at the hardware store, cut a length of it, anneal it, cut it down one side and unroll it.
>>
I actually made something similar. Pic related.

I decided I wanted to go the old fashioned way and made a dish by carving (with a chisel) one into a tree stump and hammering (slowly) the boss into your metal. I just had a sheet of iron that I worked with.

You don't want your dish to be as deep as your boss, just deep enough that you can make the metal curve well. If its too deep, you'll end up thinning out your metal and possibly poking a hole through it. Just be patient and work in a circle.
>>
Close up:
>>
If you have a pressure washer and a welder and/or Shit ton of small bolts and nuts you can start with hydroforming and then finish it with a little hand work, it works for large stuff no reason it wouldn't scale down. pretty cool method lots of tutorials on youtube for it as well
>>
File: 7325_MixingBowl05qt.jpg (24 KB, 600x445) Image search: [Google]
7325_MixingBowl05qt.jpg
24 KB, 600x445
>>962674
Thick stainless mixing bowl ftw!
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.