[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
getting into welding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: kacheltje.jpg (96 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
kacheltje.jpg
96 KB, 800x600
how do i start welding? i have access to a big welding machine, a welding mask and some scrap metal. what would you guys advise if i wanted to make something like pic related? it seems like a pretty simple design to me, using an old gas cylinder with a square hole in the front and a metal pipe as exhaust, what would be a good first step learning to weld?
>>
Take a welding class at your local CC. It's hard to beat direct access to experienced welders for learning the tricks.
>>
>>961295
This is probably your best bet, you could either spend your time looking up tutorials and practising a lot on scrap or you could just spend a little money on going and doing a short course. It's not a hard skill yo learn so it shouldn't be a long course.

On a side note, if you do plan to learn by yourself, your first step would be to learn what kind of 'welding machine' you have (MIG, TIG etc)
>>
>>961290
Professional welder here. I work in the automotive industry and mostly do small parts and aluminum. I learned in highschool then a two year cc program. Honestly the best way to learn if you have the time, and aren't considering it as a profession is lots of YouTube videos and scrap metal. Stay away from tig welding it's way to complicated to start with. A good MIG welder is best thing to use for this project. Just remember, 90% of welding is fitment and metal preparation, and 10% knowledge and experiance.
>>
>>961290

Really, with CC, it honestly depends on you college will get you the hands on skill, but other than that a lot of places don't care. They think college students are know-it-alls and treat us poorly, or have prethoughts on us before hand. I've been in college for about a year now and i've been turned down for every job, and its always been because they don't consider it experience, so its not going to help you in the experience field, but it will give you the knowledge and confidence for welding. What I was saying earlier is its all up to you to make the best of your college. find a good instructor, make sure he likes you, because if his good, he'll be a lot of help.
>>
>>961290
if you want welding as a hobby, just go out and start welding. you can pick up bits and pieces of the theory from youtube as you go along, it don't pay to get too deep into the technical shit when you can barely keep a stick lit.

if welding's just a skill you need to pursue your real hobby, college would be more intense learning and you'd be making good joints a lot sooner.
>>
>>961290
Watch some youtube videos by ChuckE2009
He's good and talks like a awsome surfer dude

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChuckE2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgGG-ifphkA&index=1&list=PL_P7k0CDx5cWywuZRYRd3HDZuvy7mTH0k
>>
>>962113
oh thanks this looks cool, though i wonder how long it will take for me to get irritated
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.