[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old, not obsolete.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 11032016572.jpg (257 KB, 1600x927) Image search: [Google]
11032016572.jpg
257 KB, 1600x927
5 cecond read:
Is there a way to make these core2duo's useful again?

Story of my life:
To overcome my being a burden on society I part-time as anykey-engineer in a particular educational institution in a land where east coast is actually closer to Japan.
Being state-operated this organization is bureaucratic as fuck. And the clerks aren't willing to go through the trouble of tracking parts of "those weird beeping techy things" separately, let alone bothering with executing purchases of an odd spare components for this and that. This results in eventual offing of semi-decent or partly-functional pieces of equipment if I can't salvage spares for them from their already discarded brethren.

Now to this day this has led to a situation when there's about a dozen of well-aged computers awaiting their last journey. Yet not everything in them is beyond being functional, these cuties from the picture for example. They're still better than the voyager for fucks sake! Now, I can't fix all of those and serve them back to users. Certain amount of mobo's, pu's and disks is done for good there, and going though all those combinations would take ridiculous amount of time, not to mention users want it nice and fast with all manners of microsoft shit which doesn't get better over time and strict bury-it-whole policy of the accountants. I also can't just take them to a new home where they can beep happily ever after, it is forbidden to move computer cases out of the building unless thirty pages of recycling documents were filled and signed by the director of the establishment. I also have no space enough to store that much of full-scale systems.

So here we're getting to the point:
What is the highest density those cpu's can be employed?
Are there any circuits where they can be mounted in batch? (I know there are server ones but for specialized models)
What are possibilities in vein of making together a tiny bare-bones individual motherboards for them?
>>
>>960663
All in ll I've got for this:
Approximately a dozen of cpu's, majority is Core2Duo 6x series with lga 755 socket.
About 10 gb of ram in 256 mb ddr2 sticks.
Five or six workable motherboards.
A bunch of power units for 500W, those are on a limit though, as they can still be plugged in users' computers.
A solder iron and ain't afraid to use it.
100 maybe 200 bucks to spend on toys.
>>
>>960667
I did find this but it costs money, per single item.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/G41-dual-Gigabit-Ethernet-ports-embedded-industrial-motherboard-6COM-775-interface-ITX-G41-Dual-NIC/1340824250.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.10.uY1DE6&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201602_1_505_506_503_504_10034_10020_502_10001_10002_10017_10010_10005_10006_10011_10003_10012_10021_10004_10022_10009_10008_10018_10019,searchweb201603_1&btsid=9135deee-14ea-4919-9d65-8ae67d2dec6e
>>
>>960663
>500W PSU
If they are efficient and good quality then they can be sold for profit.
>256MB DDR2
absolutely worthless and useless and you should just bin it.
>C2D 6x
Depends on frequency. Top of the shelf C2D overclocked to 3.5GHz would be great for web browsing and document editing. Should be able to decode 1080p Blu-ray rips as well.
Manufacturing your own mobo is impossible. So you should buy a nice used M-ITX board and build yourself a nice media PC.
>>
>>960680
Manufacturing a mobo isn't too hard, as long as he has access to one mobo factories. My brother is an engineer for MSI and he let me make my own mobo. But here make = take a template and make a few adjustments to it. Mobo died in few months after oc.
>>
>>960687
Yes and my dad work at Nintendo.
You can't manufacture your own mobo at home. Even if you were skilled enough to do this and had access to all of the required parts you would still need a BIOS made just for your hardware with proprietary Intel blobs without which CPU will not work at all.
>>
File: cda.jpg (79 KB, 853x960) Image search: [Google]
cda.jpg
79 KB, 853x960
>>960700
>>
>>960680
>sold for profit.
>just bin it.
>nice media PC
Nope. I didn't create thread how to make quick bucks.
I did it because dumping these elaborated and still-working things ticks me of. It's just so ineffective.

I've found a couple of shops that sell probably fake mobos of acceptable size at acceptable price and I guess I'll have to make use of what rats hadn't eaten in old mobos as well.
Writing me own bios is not what I fancy, I've been hoping there might be some chinese microschema prefabs that could be welded to socket and filled with firmware.
I still believe it is possible to use something like that for ram.
>>
>>960723
While these PSUs, CPUs and HDDs (SATA not IDE) can still be perfectly useful nowadays, 256MB RAM sticks cant be used for anything really. The only thing you can do with them is to throw them away or retrieve gold from them. 4x256 gives you 1GB of RAM and that's not enough to run more than bare bones Linux distro with 2 tabs in Firefox opened. And as I said you. can't make your own mobo and BIOS. To make BIOS you need advanced knowledge of assembler, complete understanding of every single chip on the bord and access to proprietary Intel binaries.
>>
>>960700
you can BUY the proprietary blobs. they do sell chipsets and people do reball their motherboards. that said, the cost of doing it would be stupid. if you had the skills to adjust the resonance on wires running jiggahertz frequencies, chances are your time would be worth more than just shelling out 500$ for the absolute best motherboard.
>>
File: raspberry_pi_3.jpg (29 KB, 520x292) Image search: [Google]
raspberry_pi_3.jpg
29 KB, 520x292
>>960667
this raspberry pi 3 has:
1.2 GHz 64-bit quad core ARM
1 GB ram (900 MHz)
ethernet and 802.11n wifi
microSD for storage
HDMI, 4xUSB2.0
etc. and uses ~3W of electricity.

for $35.

your frankencomputers will use a ton of electricity.

smuggling the parts out and selling them on ebay for $1-10 per part is probably your best option.
>>
>>960784
quickly realized this picture is not what i thought it was.. but the specs are still correct for a pi 3.
>>
>>960663
>ceconds
>collected old junk
>making your own socketed motherboard for commercial CPUs
>$200 budget
>not interested in making money off the endeavor
>knows a place to buy fake motherboards

700 what? I don't even understand what your end game is, here.

Are you interested in cobbling together a wad of useless parts to make some sort of cyberpunk mess in the corner of your home? One that probably couldn't even browse the net because it's now so bloated and resource-heavy compared to when these parts were made? The time and effort outweigh the benefit by immeasurable amounts, and we're not even touching on your $200 budget.

Take it from someone who hoards computer parts. You are hoarding useless computer parts.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.