[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 4Kv enough for an air ionizer ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: 1457767981056-1252145150.jpg (923 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
1457767981056-1252145150.jpg
923 KB, 1944x2592
Hey /diy checkout my shitty homemade air ioniser, I know there's high voltage on the hairs, but is the 4Kv that it's generating enough to ionize air molecules ?
I know it produces high voltage because it bends a flame when I put it near the hairs.
>>
>>960577
As much as I admire hack jobs, I have to ask what the fuck?
What is going on there?
Why did you make the final product so uneven?
Why is there a resistor that goes to nothing? (at letter F)
>>
File: IMG_20151217_215713.jpg (2 MB, 3328x1872) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151217_215713.jpg
2 MB, 3328x1872
Use small carbon hairs as breakout points. 4Kv is enough
>>
>>960580
It took me less than an hour to build.
Its uneven because I'm shitty and not an OCD maniac.
Resistor J was too high so I replaced with Q iirc.
>>960583
Thanks, where do I get the carbon hairs from ? Are the wires still OK ?
This thing costs me less than 2$ to build literally.
Nice Tesla coil BTW..
>>
File: Capture.png (179 KB, 401x184) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
179 KB, 401x184
>>960611
>J was too high so I re
I meant its still physically there
Im not knocking your project, its the kind of thing Id do. Though I am on ocd maniac and its a special type of hell.
>>
>>960612
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!
>>
the only place i know where to find carbon brushes is from chinese made ionizers (aka activate oxygen generators, lung function improvers, enzyme activators, metabolism quickeners, sleep improvers, air cleaners, air sterilizers -- a lot of nice sounding names for what is essentially a poison-gas generator).

anyway, i used two sewing needles for mine. very sharp ones, coz the sharper they are the more ions are ejected. there should be a fan as well to push the encourage the ions (and poisonous ozone) to leave.
>>
>>960623
>for what is essentially a poison-gas generator
Wait a minute, what would be the difference between chinese ionizator, which is poison gas generator and a diy ionizer which is made from the stuff taken from chinese poison gas generator?
>>
>>960625

none. the higher the output voltage, the more ozone it creates. presumably a commercial product will have been better tested than a DIY project, so the DIY one is even more suspicious.
>>
>>960619
>implying its resisting
>>
>>960625
>poison-gas generator
care to explain why this is poison?
>>
>>960635
http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/indoor/ozone_gen_fact_sheet-a.pdf

Ionization of air leads to the production of ozone iirc which is good for the upper atmosphere and all not down here.
>>
>>960577
OP what does that big black wire go to? You aren't plugging this thing into the wall are you...

>>is 4KV
Do you smell ozone? Then you are ionizing air. I got a crapload of ionizer modules that generate around 4 KV and they most certainly ionize air

>>960611
Carbon hairs can be obtained as raw carbon fiber or just use some needles
>>
File: Ernsthafte_Kaskade.jpg (60 KB, 1110x272) Image search: [Google]
Ernsthafte_Kaskade.jpg
60 KB, 1110x272
>>960577
TopKek, the distances between the caps are by far too short.

Here is a good link; If you don't speak german, enjoy the pics - it's pretty clear to see.

http://www.serious-technology.de/Ernsthafte%20Kaskade.htm
>>
>>960655
>complains about distance
>is still using a board

kek
>>
>>960655
I understand, but I'm just pumping up to 4Kv,
Interesting link thanks much.
>>
>>960685
no copper on the board, only bare holes
>>
Can get carbon hairs from the business end of a dyson vacuum, those brushes would be ideal
>>
>>960792
each kv = 1mm spark gap in air.
4mm spark gap. are you confident that your final capacitor has a 4mm+ gap?
>>
>>960859
Most people rage about boardless circuits. Except, radio people of course. With that many caps, I'd defiantly deadbug them.
>>
>>960888
>1mm spark gap

That's and already open gap right? Not something that has touched then opens, bringing the spark with it, right?
>>
>>960634

it is

but it isn't drawing any current
>>
>>960893
It's a rule of thumb for an arc to form yes
An existing arc makes hot plasma and ionises the air which reduces the resistance of air allowing the arc to grow.
You can see this happening in Jacobs ladders and a few youtube videos of hv substation contactors opening and the arc going out of control.
For small arcs in switches the zero crossing of the ac helps but in big switchgear they blow compressed air at it to quickly remove the ionized air and kill the spark
>>
>>960904
Thanks
>>
>>960903
then it is resisting nothing, so its not resisting.
You're worse than those online protesters
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.