[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys ! I'm looking for a huge usefull project with my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: raspberry-pi-logo.png (50 KB, 511x642) Image search: [Google]
raspberry-pi-logo.png
50 KB, 511x642
Hey guys ! I'm looking for a huge usefull project with my rasp, but i don't know what.

Do you have some suggestions?
>>
It's supposed to go
>find project
>buy pi
Not
>buy pi
>find project
>>
i've already done some projects, but not really usefull.
>>
>>960123
Have you tried shoving it up your ass?
>>
Throw it in your garbage can. Then you can take the garbage out.
>>
Owncloud
>>
Don't think I've ever posted to an OP that seemed so hated. I'm just starting with raspi. Bought a 2b while I was out repairing my desktop. I have an X-arcade Tankstick that I've been meaning to turn into a plug and play portable arcade. One instructables guy says that the raspi mounts below the trackball with no need for new holes. I could pull some of the wires into the stick, use the holes for my hdmi cable, and power supply. Not sure if I'd want to have sound from within or a sound out on it.
>>
>>960302
HDMI has sound output ya goofball.

People hate these threads because it's always a variant of
>I have this useless thing, wat do?
>>
>>960309
My Pi has a stereo minijack right on the board. Also it might be cool for the sounds not to come from the screen.
>>
>>960116
Put it back in the box, send it for a refund, buy something you understand and can use, not something you think is trendy and *shiny* and makes you one of the cool kids.
>>
Do home automation.
>>
>>960829
or home security
>>
Why does 4chan hate the Raspberry Pi so much?
>>
>>961797
For one, it's a meme device that has spawned hundreds of shitty "tell me what I should make" posts by unimaginative retards, as pointed out by >>960549.

Not sure what it is about the pi that causes this. You don't see people posting "Hay guys I just got this new handsaw pls tell me what I should cut!"
>>
>>960116
DIY CPAP that measures blood oxy and heart rate, increases air pressure when threshold reached. Also, add a little aquarium as a feed to the air pump, monitor temp and humidity and control heater plus humidifier to provide warm humid air to the nostrils. Lots of things to measure and control.
>>
>>961821
I forgot to add, sell it on craigslist for a buck fifty when you're done.
>>
>>960116

DHCP/DNS server for your network.
>>
>>961802
>Not sure what it is about the pi that causes this.
It's because, like the Arduino, it's marketed/talked about as "Endless possibilities with little effort!" which is actually true, but you still need a project/idea to work on and some experience
So people that have NOR feel helpless
>>
>>962274

It's hard for those who actually can use it to encourage or help those looking for help when every thread ends up filled with spite and memes....
>>
>>961797
I swear there must be schools out there that assign students with projects meant to foster an interest in computers/programming.

>Teacher: Get a Pi and do something useful with it
>Unimaginative Student: Off to 4chan to ask what I should do
>>
>>962281
Kids are becoming less creative. Instead of playing pretend and drawing and making crafts and shit, they press their faces against screens and become mindless.
>>
Try broadcasting fm radio waves
>>
>>960116
Do a magic mirror.
Take a mirror, put a 500$ LCD screen behind it (make sure to take it apart without destroying it to remove the bezel) and then write software to tell you the current weather, calendar events and shit.
Use it in the bathroom, if you are sure that you can waterproof it against mist.
>>
>>962274
>little effort
I got an Arduino and nRF24 and tried to build something that should be simple according to all the accolades that the nRF modules get.
Fuck the shitgiggles who claim that this shit is easy.
Yes, I soldered the fucking cap on and spent a week understanding the autismal RF24 library's examples - Thank fuck for pre-existing programming knowledge. The best I ever got was a connection between two modules with as many false positives as actual reactions to sent commands. I never managed to actually transfer any data packets to prevent the false positives with a simple if-check (the data is never read properly by the receiver) and now I can't even manage to go back to the half-assed success that I had despite restoring the old code.
To simplify the project in order to get rid of error sources, I'll need to research suitable voltage regulators (which is much harder than it should be) and find out how to get both 5V and 3V inputs from the same voltage source. I'll probably make a voltage divider and then put a regulator for the nRF voltage and use a voltage around 9V to feed the Arduino into its internal regulator.
(Up until now I've used a 9V battery on my 5V Arduino and two AA batteries in row to get the roughly 3V for the nRF module, which is obviously highly unstable in hindsight)
I even printed out and read the fucking 70 pages of datasheet for the nRF module and gave it my own annotations.
That's a fuckload of buying random crap.

To put this into perspective, I originally did not know that interconnected components need a common ground. And none of the fucking tutorials on anything ever mentioned this. Took me two weeks to find that issue.

It's the same thing as PC building and "hurr durr you can't do anything wrong!". Nigger, you can easily destroy your expensive hardware just by slipping your hand. Building a PC is not hard and the stuff is surprisingly resilient, but it's still really fucking easy to destroy something if you aren't careful.
>>
>>960116
>web dev
>built own web server with company internet
>host own website and staging site for company
took me months to figure out but at lesat got the ball rolling
>>
>>960144
syncthing
>>
File: 0982343.gif (69 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
0982343.gif
69 KB, 320x240
>>960116
>>
Have you tried a hammer?
>>
>>960116
buy some sensors and few servos + step mottors
after that get motor driver
so far so good, you could of done it with arduino or any micro controller but here comes the fun part
use OpenCV and face recognition software with python add a camera so it recognize your face

put everything togheter so far, go and buy huge dildo
attach it and finally put the power on

next tiem the rpi sees you it will fuck your ass and you will remember not to buy it before you actually have idea what to do with it
>>
>>963787
>library
Have you tried it manually? Half the time it's easier to write your own driver than figure out what whoever wrote the library was smoking.

>5V and 3V inputs from the same voltage source
Huh? Do you need 5V and 3.3V power source or reference? Don't use a divider if it's for powering and just get a regulator. For the sake of simplicity and avoiding more headache, get a linear one. Just check what's the minimal difference between input and output.

>did not know that interconnected components need a common ground
I think this is where your problems stem from. This is as basic knowledge as it gets, right next to ohm's law.
You should read up a bit on the basics before going into stuff like this.
>>
>>964274
>You should read up a bit on the basics before going into stuff like this.
The funny thing was that I was actually studying electrical engineering at the time.
Which meant I knew Ohm's law and all of that shit, but not that reference voltages are a thing.
Anyway, I had been assuming that a beginner's guide would actually do a proper introduction. I guess I put too much trust into free guides on the internet and everyone shouting that Arduinos were perfect for beginners.

>Huh? Do you need 5V and 3.3V power source or reference? Don't use a divider if it's for powering and just get a regulator. For the sake of simplicity and avoiding more headache, get a linear one. Just check what's the minimal difference between input and output.
I have Arduino Minis at 5V (The 3.3V variant is impossible to get outside of Ebay) and the nRF24 modules that I'm using require a voltage between 2.7 and 3.3 Volts as power source if the input pins are controlled by a device that uses 5V. (It's more lenient on the voltage if the device controlling it is below a certain threshold)
The Arduino has an internal regulator that works between 7 and 12V, while the nRF will need an external one. I want to use the same set of batteries for both, to reduce the amount of hardware in the project.

>Have you tried it manually? Half the time it's easier to write your own driver than figure out what whoever wrote the library was smoking.
Good point. I do have the data sheet, so I guess it should be viable for me.
Up until now I felt that that kind of stuff was beyond my level. But then again, programming is programming. Once you get the idea, it's mostly all the same.
>>
>>964328
I don't even know if I've ever seen the common ground thing being mentioned actually. It just always seemed common sense to me considering the definition of voltage.

Just get a 3.3V linear regulator for your power source. Use it off the battery or the regulated 5V from arduino, won't be much of a difference (mind the dropout voltage though).
Is the module supposed to send any sort of signal to your arduino (most likely it does)? If so, did you confirm that your arduino can recognize 3.3V signals? Might be why you're getting random data.
Would need a logic level shifter (converter) for that (very straight forward to use).

Check your hardware setup as I've mentioned above. If there's anything you need to change, then go back to a simple test code with the library. Sounds to me like your issue is most likely related to your hardware setup.
And forgot to mention, writing your own driver can be tedious.
>>
>>960116
https://www.siliconrepublic.com/enterprise/2015/09/07/ucc-researcher-hacking-cars-self-driving-cars
>>
>>962281
As a former victim, I can attest that it's not that. It's more like
>Poking around innernet, stumble across some hackaday article
>"Raspberry Pi?" What's that?
>A computer? For $40? Well why the hell not?
>OK awesome, it came!
>...Now what
I fiddled with my Pi for a bit, played with the web browser and tried the stupid little minecraft version that comes with Raspbian, familiarized myself with the command line, then pretty much just aimlessly poked around with the command line learning a bit about how network interfaces work. Then I tried for a few weeks to come up with a project for it, gave up, put it in a box and forgot about it.

It was an impulse buy, and it was sorta pushed as an educational tool so I did use it a bit to learn the very basics about computers (I mean beyond normie knowledge level) - stuff which I ultimately could have learned just as well using my old Macbook. But still, it was good that I did; later on I used that knowledge to root my Parrot Bebop and tweak some settings that aren't normally accessible. But I never did really follow through with a real project for the RPi.

And what's worse, I didn't even learn my lesson from that whole ordeal. A few months after I shelved the RPi, I came across the NTC Chip.
>Neato, it's like an RPi but smaller and only $9!
>AND it has built-in wifi and bluetooth! COOL!
Now I have two of those fuckers waiting on a project. At least I kinda have something worthwhile in mind this time - I want to try and build a DIY EFIS for an aircraft.
>>
>>964638
>NTC Chip
Talk about bang for your buck.
I can see myself doing some pretty cool projects with this.
>>
>>964638
I have ideas for projects, but they are all too fucking complicated to invest the necessary amount of time in.
Anything actually viable for learning doesn't make for a good project.
>>
>>964755
Tosh.

Make a USB-programmable fan-controller out of a teensy. That will teach you:
- PWM
- Feedback loops
- USB
- Device drivers

And you'll end up with a device that's actually useful.
>>
>>964757
Actually, I'd rather do a multimedia button/dial system to control volume and shit on my PC.
That would vastly increase the amount of keyboards that I could choose from, because I wouldn't need to pay attention to multimedia features.
However, apparently the associated programming is harder than it should be (most swearing on using custom Windows hotkeys with a special software, then having the Arduino send those hotkeys instead of just volume up/down commands), even though I would have thought that there's a special command reserved for keyboards to change volume.
Also, apparently the devices that are useful for this mostly use flimsy mini-USB ports that break too easily and I'd also need to learn how to make a case, which would require an entirely unrelated set of tools.
And I already paid way too fucking much for soldering equipment, Arduinos, jumper wires and other shit.

No, I didn't buy original Arduinos. All Chinese knockoffs.
>>
>>960116
make a email server or torrent box or something
>>
>>964759
>I would have thought that there's a special command reserved for keyboards to change volume.
You would have thought right:
http://stefanjones.ca/blog/arduino-leonardo-remote-multimedia-keys/
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.