[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coin/Medal Holder-What Tool Do I Need?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 9705015_3.jpg (81 KB, 1024x661) Image search: [Google]
9705015_3.jpg
81 KB, 1024x661
Don't know if this is thread worth, but I'm planning on building a medal/coin holder in wood. Its going to be a stand, I have everything worked out, my only problem is, I want to make circular sockets to fit the coins in snuggly. What tool do I need to do this? Every tool I currently have would just end up cutting a perfect hole through the wood, which is obviously not what I want. It would be like pic related, you know those coin books that hold quarters? With sockets cut just to their proportion? I was then going to line the wood and sockets with velvet or some nice fabric to make it look nice. Any tips for the right tool would be much appreciated.
>>
File: forstner-6.jpg (46 KB, 450x222) Image search: [Google]
forstner-6.jpg
46 KB, 450x222
>>959537
>get a benchtop drill press
>get forstner bit
>set drill press depth stop for how deep you want hole
>make marks on wood

>hole size and depth will be uniform throughout the piece.

Easy
>>
File: challenge failed.png (23 KB, 300x286) Image search: [Google]
challenge failed.png
23 KB, 300x286
>>959541
>tfw I'm going to blow my whole paycheck on a benchtop drill press for one project.
>>
>>959541
Thanks though man appreciate it. I'm assuming there's probably no other way to do this on the cheap side is there?
>>
>>959541
Could this be done with a router?
>>
>>959546
But then you'll have a drill press! Excellent!
>>
>>959546
check craigslist and get a used one for 40$

>>959548
A plunge router may work if you can find the correct bits. Im not sure they will fit in a routers collect.
>>
>>959546
How about this
http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-JIG-IT-Drill-Guide/dp/B001GT8EY8
>>
>>959551
>http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-JIG-IT-Drill-Guide/dp/B001GT8EY8

Genius! Marvelous! This is exactly what I was looking for! Maybe some other day I will invest in a drill press. Thanks so much guys. Much obliged.
>>
File: giphy (12).gif (974 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
giphy (12).gif
974 KB, 500x313
>>959551
Obligatory thank you gif.
>>
While this thread is still alive, I've been doing wood working projects here and there, and REALLY really really really enjoy it. I've mainly just looked up how to do things as needed at the time online and watched a bunch of youtube/online videos. I figure its about time I invest in a good wood working book however, and learn some of the foundational knowledge and principles and get a better overall of the wood working discipline. I'm really into electronics and wood working and I wan't to be able to incorporate the two together in all my projects so the more I know the better. DO any of you suggest a good wood working book/manual? Something I can read and reference and sit on my bookshelf with pride and dignity?
>>
use multiple layers drill through or saw top layer and glue together like plywood
>>
>>959556
Usually there is a woodworking general, not sure why there isnt one right now im sure a new one will pop up.

Not sure about a single reference woodworking book, I learned basic stuff from my grandfather.

The internet archive has a lot of vintage books you can read. Here is a random woodworking book from 1903
https://archive.org/details/cu31924031717121
>>
>>959562
Thanks man, I'll keep on the lookout for the woodworking general.
>>
>>959551
Fuck that thing, it will do nothing but piss you the fuck off. Trust me.

Get this,

>8 in. 5 Speed Bench Drill Press
>$69.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html

I've been using that one for about 5 years now. I've never had a problem with it.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.