[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best,cheapest stud finders? The magnets sound good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 91lJ2advhpL._SL1500_.jpg (265 KB, 991x1500) Image search: [Google]
91lJ2advhpL._SL1500_.jpg
265 KB, 991x1500
What are the best,cheapest stud finders? The magnets sound good but do they tell you where the stub starts and ends?
>>
That one you posted, on both counts. The magnet sticks to drywall screws. Find 2-3 screws, draw a line, bam, stud found.

it doesn't tell you anything about the stud itself, just where the screws are, so you'll have to use your brain a bit. But it's only 5 bucks and works better then anything short of thermal imaging, so I'll take it.
>>
>>958613
Lefty and Righty are your cheapest stud finder when it comes to drywall.
>>
the best and not cheap and the cheap are not the best....don't waste more money on something you're never going to use
>>
I used both an electric studfinder and a stack of rare of magnets. The magnet is used to find the stud itself, then used the studfinder to know where the edges where.
>>
File: 1457449384049.jpg (63 KB, 350x443) Image search: [Google]
1457449384049.jpg
63 KB, 350x443
get one of these. you'll be able to see though the wall!
>>
>>958791
how fucking stupid are people for those things to be on the market for all these years
>>
You want to find studs? Try your local gay bar.
>>
>>958784
So you find the stud using magnets, then use a stud finder to find the stud again?

This is the second studfinder thread. Seriously, get a studfinder from your local home improvement store for $5. The cheap ones work. The magnets just find where screws are.
>>
>>959840
Oh shit nigga
>>
>>958613
That's the stud finder I use, 95% of the time it works
>>
>>958613
Use it all the time. It's the best I've seen.

Sometimes though I wonder if it would be better to have a *weaker* magnet. It's so strong it can stick to the wall even when it's an inch away from the screw, with friction keeping it there. So I end up "floating" the thing, keeping it 1/2" off the wall and waving it, trying to feel where the force is maximized.

Why not have a magnet as strong as this one, but on a needle that can rotate in the horizontal plane that's perpendicular to the wall? Wouldn't such a needle point more directly to the screw head?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.