[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What have you made out of pallets? I came across some pallets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 27
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 288x175) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 288x175
What have you made out of pallets?

I came across some pallets and will probably make a couple stools and a table. But I'm looking for inspiration for other projects as well.
>>
2 shitty end tables, and many huge bonfires
>>
>>958283
>making things out of very low quality wood which by law has been treated with a highly toxic pesticide
>>
>>958283
I made two compost bins.
>>
>>958283
it's completely pointless to make stuff out of pallets. As >>958301 said, it's extremely low quality wood, and wood isn't expensive, so even if you get pallets for free it's a bad idea. Unless you decide to sell the stuff you make, then you can sell it to hippies and shit with the whole "recycled wood" tag.
>>
There's a lot of pallet DIY on pinterest. Try it.
>>
>>958414
>pinterest

Says a lot.

I often wonder about this junk. People post bits and pieces of junk they've made out of pallet scrap and put it on eBay for, in some cases hundreds.

Baring in mind you can pick up food sold pine furniture for less than some of these people post their pallet coffee tables for.

That said, I'm not sure if they sell.

As for having it in your own home, I'm forever hearing of people making it to sell for some money, never about buying it to use as furniture.

It's fucking ugly.
>>
>>958301
>>958412
/diy/ - don't make things, just buy them
>>
>>958425
Oh hey. It's you again.
Well thanks for that. I guess you missed the other 10~ threads floating through DIY this past week about pallet wood.
You might not find them now though, they all end up the same place.

Gahbage.

What would be really nice is rather than seeing this same thread day in day out, is someone put their shitty pallets to use, and post 'hey diy, look what make'.

Instead it's always 'hey diy, pile shitty pallets, what do'
>>
>>958283
Make shipping containers
>>
>>958283
When I first started woodworking my dad found a bunch of pallets and let me fuck around with them to get used to all the machines. Like several have said before, they aren't going to make for any functional or aesthetically pleasing projects.
>>
>>958283

I had made an outside lounge chair out of some and they got hit by termites real hard.

Sometimes I grab some for boxing and using as stakes for profiling but I can't leave them around too often because, again, termites.

What ever "treatement" they get is probably just to kill whatever is in them initally because after 2 days in the rain you can see wood lice and millions of other wood boring creatures crawling all over the thing.
>>
My local hardware stores charge you $40-60 if they don't get their pallets back.

It's not worth it.
>>
>>958301
Why do people keep posting this crap? Not all pallets are treated with anything. I used to get mine from a beer distributer. Why the fuck would budweiser treat one time use pallets that hold kegs or cases on a 150 mile journey and then be discarded?

I've also had solid oak pallets used to haul something really heavy.

Most pallet wood is shit though. I used to use it for crappy outdoor furniture and the odd temporary project. Now I just pick up some $2 cedar fence boards when I want to fuck around and see if I should continue with better wood. I'm tired of breaking down pallets and I'm not broke.

If you're broke and bored I guess it's fine. Otherwise you can save a ton of headaches by just buying better wood.
>>
Make a pallet and shipping container arduino tiny house.
>>
>>958616
/thread
>>
>>958283
oh god fucking triggered like a damn tumblrina

I hate those things with a passion. Part of the community service I had to do a few years back consisted mostly of hauling wooden pallets around without gloves. My hands were almost constantly bleeding somewhere and were full of splinters.
>>
>>958602
>Why the fuck would budweiser treat one time use pallets that hold kegs or cases on a 150 mile journey and then be discarded?

Why the fuck would budweiser be making their own pallets?
Gassing the pallets is by far the cheapest and most effective way of stopping the spread of insects from one region to the other.

Its done because its the law, its not some sort of joke.
There are heat treated pallets made of hardwoods and such, but they are not very common. Used in very heavy situations, but a regular gassed pallet is very strong itself and not needed.

Why is Budweiser going to buy pallets that are twice as expensive and twice as strong as they need?

Oh right, they dont. And neither does any other company.
The ones that do buy plastic and hardwood pallets reuse them.
>>
>>958425
Making quality things, and making trash out of the dumpster are two different things.
>>
>>958602
Why do people keep posting this crap?

By law, wood being transported needs to be either chemically treated or heat treated to kill invasive species of insects.

B-but anon, these were heat treated. Unlikely, pallets are only heat treated when they need to be because a chemical bath is much cheaper. Basically only food grade pallets are heat treated and they commonly use plastic pallets anyway.

IT'S STAMPED "HT" THOUGH! Good, so you know that that piece was originally heat treated. Are you buying the pallet brand new from a supplier? No? Well you have no way of knowing that the pallet wasn't subjected to a chemical bath, parts from another broken pallet were used to repair it, or that whatever it was being used to carry didn't leak on it.

In short, you have no idea where that pallet came from, treat like it was treated which poisonous chemicals.
>>
File: pallet-garden-designrulz-22.jpg (236 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
pallet-garden-designrulz-22.jpg
236 KB, 690x460
>>958668
Are you telling me that using a pallet as a planter in the garden is a bad idea?
But it was free!
>>
>>958671
It's either dangerously stupid or unintentionally genius, depending on exactly what stuff they're treated with. Free pesticide!
>>
>>958680

It doesn't stop pests in the tropics. Everyone looks at pallets like a pest attractor.

I fact even treated pine doesn't stop termites either once it even gets lightly moist.
>>
You can make cool things if youre creative enough.i made a base for a fountain with a vertical flower planter.its dark here now.ill post a pic tmrw.it looks great.flowers did great.its not leeching out dangerous chemicals despite what these other fags are saying.
>>
>>958668
Not to mention all the work to get a decent finish and the short lengths. Anyone working with paletts must not value their time or they would be buying lengths of planed pine. Around here it would be under 2$ per meter of similar dimensions as from a pallet. And that's planed!
>>
>>958752
Good lord.not everything has to a pro style attempt.im seriously suprised at all the pissing and moaning on this topic.
>>
>>958671
Omfg you didnt plane it or bullnose the edges or even putty,sand and stain the boards?what about the nail holes???totally unacceptable! (obvious sarcasm should be obvious)
>>
I generally use them to make fire. They're pretty shitty wood.

Just have to be careful and try to get ones that aren't treated.
>>
>>958758
Post something you've made from pallet wood that we will admire and take back all that's been said or shut the fuck up.
>>
>>958758

Its not just this topic.

The forum is /diy/ but every thread heavily saturated with either buyfags or "I have been doing this for 40 years and there is only one way to do it" kind of people.

The mods really need to clamp down on this shit.
>>
>>958781

>that we would admire

You would never admire anything unless they did biscuit joinery by hand.

You joinery fags are terrible. There is a time and a place for dovetails and mortise and tennons and it is not in rustic outdoor furniture.

I mean you have 4x4 green heart posts and you niggers want to countersink the bolts and nuts in 1" either side so they are hidden. Forgetting the fact that you have turned that 4x4 into something with the strength of a 2x2 and it is holding up the clients fuckinf house you cunt
>>
>>958787
>rustic outdoor furniture
>pallets

Why are you even trying to make an argument when you are willing to give these a side by side comparison?

You're basically talking about stacking pallets and sitting on them.
>>
>>958425
>/diy/ - don't make things, just buy them
>don't make things, just buy them
>don't make things
>don't make the wood, just buy the wood
we /lumberjacks/ now?
>>
>>958866

This is /diy/. You didn't make trees. >>>/out/
>>
>>958783
Clamp down on what?
Peoples opinions and criticisms?

It not like OP made something real nice and is showing it off. He is fishing for projects and ideas for pallet projects. The big problem with that is, anyone who is going to have the skills and takes the time to build something decent isnt going to use fucking pallets.

Using pallets for small projects is trendy and literally pinterest tier where your girlfriend or mom would build something, even though they are not /diy/ at all.

Are you mad that people dislike the pipe and butcher block table threads too?

Does this need to be your safe place from all criticism, and a place to talk about low quality trash projects?
>>
>pressure washed with chemicals to prevent transfer of "the beetle that eliminates entire eco systems"
>weathered with factory dust and rat piss+shit
>cannot be stained, chemicals come out
>cannot be sanded down, causes cancer with the 17 chemicals they put in there to kill very hard to kill bugs

yeah nah, these things cannot even be burned the fumes (yes fumes, not smoke) will harm you
>>
File: A13EDE006F.jpg (60 KB, 470x685) Image search: [Google]
A13EDE006F.jpg
60 KB, 470x685
>>958783
Spotted the faggot who posts unhelpful rubbish, then gets schooled by people who actually know what they talk about.

Plenty more websites out there anon, feel free to try them..
>>
File: FB_IMG_1457523666088.jpg (71 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1457523666088.jpg
71 KB, 720x960
My last deployment when we were slow at the jobsite I started making these. Mostly with screws I took out of the building, and started with a garbage dewalt jigsaw. Eventually customers was seeing what I was doing and hooked me up with new screws, clean pallets and a table saw. Doesn't look like it was professionally made in China, but with the supplies on hand, and considering it was Afghanistan, I think they turned out awesome.
>>
>>958283
I've only ever used them to make props for photo shoots, window dressing and plays etc.

It's not the ideal material but people these projects are for have zero budgets.
>>
>>959000

>kill hard to kill bugs

Then why is every pallet I ever see that gas sat still more than 2 weeks full of termites?
>>
thank fuck I'm from the EU where they outlawed all the nasty chemicals.
>>
>>959041

So you think.

The EU seems to outlaw the most ridiculous shit but you'd be surprised of the shit they let fly
>>
>>958792

>stacking pallets and sitting on them
>that'll be $200 Sir
>>
>>958283
I currently made a whole fucking kitchen out of EPAL's, took me 2 weeks, isn't completely finished but looks fucking great
>>
A friend of mine wants me to build him a shed out of pallets (external and internal stirling board, insulation between the pallets) large enough that he can have a warhammer table and workbench inside. Gonna have a insulated raft foundation, monopitch roof and a few power points to have a heater n desk lamp, some basic lighting.

It seems like a fun task, im a builder so its something a little different which is always fun.
>>
>>958599

I get them free all the time in the UK as a builder, since it makes no sense for a builders merchant driver to wait around for you to move 400 bricks to get their pallet back. Generally we chop em up for fire wood or give them back with the next delivery though.
>>
File: 20160201_121353.jpg (69 KB, 535x951) Image search: [Google]
20160201_121353.jpg
69 KB, 535x951
>>958283
So far I've made end tables, a coffee table, bookshelves, kid's treasure boxes, a coat rack, and a mail holder.

Some of them I like more than others, but I think I'm getting better. I love rustic stuff and I think I will do an entire set of kitchen cabinets with them. The actual cabinet boxes will be plywood but the doors and exteriors will be either pallet wood or barn siding, something with that look.
>>
File: 20160301_212027_LLS.jpg (35 KB, 366x206) Image search: [Google]
20160301_212027_LLS.jpg
35 KB, 366x206
>>959095
>>
File: 20150907_082233.jpg (140 KB, 1691x951) Image search: [Google]
20150907_082233.jpg
140 KB, 1691x951
>>959096

This was one of those things I spent about 15 minutes on since it was for my 5yro kid and he doesn't care about visible screws and stuff like that.
>>
File: 20150907_082249.jpg (153 KB, 1691x951) Image search: [Google]
20150907_082249.jpg
153 KB, 1691x951
>>959097
>>
File: 20160201_121233.jpg (57 KB, 535x951) Image search: [Google]
20160201_121233.jpg
57 KB, 535x951
>>959099
>>
File: 20150906_204342.jpg (56 KB, 535x951) Image search: [Google]
20150906_204342.jpg
56 KB, 535x951
>>959100

This we use for towels and other bathroom stuff.
>>
File: 20150601_235025.jpg (135 KB, 1691x951) Image search: [Google]
20150601_235025.jpg
135 KB, 1691x951
>>959102
>>
File: 20150601_235145.jpg (154 KB, 1691x951) Image search: [Google]
20150601_235145.jpg
154 KB, 1691x951
>>959103
The legs aren't pallet, and the tabletop has a sheet of plywood under the boards.
>>
File: 20150308_210224_LLS.jpg (145 KB, 1691x951) Image search: [Google]
20150308_210224_LLS.jpg
145 KB, 1691x951
>>959105
The same tabletop before I stained and poly. I kinda regret doing that, as A) I didn't do a fantastic job staining and polying, and B) I like the wood colors and you lose them with stain.
>>
File: 20150601_235221.jpg (63 KB, 535x951) Image search: [Google]
20150601_235221.jpg
63 KB, 535x951
>>959106

I made a matching set of these. Ignore the nasty basement backdrop. They are all pallet except for the sides, which are regular dimension 2x6 and the back, which was pine flooring and siding I got from somewhere. The dimension lumber sides I turned gray with vinegar, rust, and tea.
>>
>>958599
just go to the back of retail type stores where there's piles like in OPs picture for anyone to take, I know at least 5 places like this in my area and I'm sure I could find alot more.
>>
File: pallet-project-003.png (226 KB, 672x553) Image search: [Google]
pallet-project-003.png
226 KB, 672x553
Hey, idiots

Pallets are marked. Check if they are pesticide-treaded before using them inside your house or for growing food
>>
>>958414
>"""Build""" shitty wall over nice wall.

I did it myself!

XD so quirky and rustic
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>959124
So rugged and manly.
>>
Great for making range targets.
>>
>>958283
I made a doghouse with some, and I also filled in the gaps between planks, tossed plywood over them, and lined them up on the floor of my leaky basement.

It provides a nice little buffer between the occasional water that gets in, and all of my shit.
>>
>>959095
>>959096
>>959097
>>959099
>>959100
>>959103
>>959105
>>959106
>>959112

Not gonna lie. i like them. But for fucks sake make them out lumber you know was not sprayed with nasty shit.
>>
>>959122
>Hey, idiots
>Pallets are marked.
pallets are also reused and chemically treated between uses
>>
>get free pallets
>spend a week cranking out crap tier quick turn around projects
>coffee table, end tables, stools ect ect
>sell these to stupid hipsters with too much money
>use that money to buy yourself proper lumber
>make things for yourself with proper lumber

I can find a handfull of pallets through the week and break them down then spend my weekend cranking out sets of coffee tables and end tables with very little sanding, a quick coat of some form of finish and sell them for stupid prices to hipsters.

At least around my area hipsters have money. Money that i can have by slaping together something with pallet boards.

also i keep an eye out at garage sales for cheep shit i think hipsters will like.

>2 boards from a free pallet
>a bit of chain from a 5 gallon bucket of chains i got for $5 at a garage sale
>a $0.10 mason jar from garage sale

That amounted to a $25 "rustic" candle holder on craigslist which turned into a customer who wanted 5 more, a coffee table, 2 end tables and a full set of patio furniture.

Forget how much i banked off him but i know he bought me a new surface planer and a nice pile of oak and ceder boards for my own use.
>>
im going to spend all my time and effort to make some fucking fancy wood furniture, but because im trashy and lowbrow im going to use old pallets, instead of investing in materials worth my effort

i dont even give a shit about the chemicals,its like, almost always the shittiest wood ever, why would you want to make anything out of garbage garbage

low
brow
>>
>>958574
why use them to haul around all your imitation crab meat?
>>
>>959397
images?
>>
Or was nice to see some actual objects made from pallets for once! Good job. But are they different in the US or what, the pallets I'm used to would give you splinters by looking at them.
>>
File: kitchen.png (2 MB, 1051x783) Image search: [Google]
kitchen.png
2 MB, 1051x783
>>958283
>>959081 <--- this is my old post

still in progress
>>
>>961114
uhg, what is that disgusting pallet kitchen?
>>
>>959124
Hey it could be worse.
>>
>>961114
Slap some nice laminate covers on that and you're a true cowboy.
>>
>>958283
this one time when the spring flood came around i built a dry path to the shed (firewood) with two layers of pallets

and another time i used a couple to build a stand off to to some maintenance on the drainage of the house
>>
>>958283
I've made a lot of fires and use them for sort of a cooling rack for batches of beer, I wouldn't make anything out of them for inside the house I have pets and don't want to kill them
>>
>get some free pallets
>make some shitty tool cabinet for your garage or whatever
OK
>buy old pallets instead of just lumber
no, what the fuck are you doing?
>make le rustic meme furniture that will be warped to shit in 2 years
Killyourself hipsterfaggot.

Also fun fact: Pallets are holocausted in gas chambers from time to time whenever they go between continents
>>
>>958283
You do realize pallets are susceptible to be thrown in various, dirty floors right?
>>
>>959385
The only thing in this thread I like and would never look great made from shitty pallet wood. Would look great in clear pine or 'redwood' pine.

Fuck pallets and this meme bread shit.
>>
>>958283
Enjoy your $100,00 hospital bill after inhaling poisonous insecticide
>>
>>958599
Do the store owners have big noses?
>>
>>958616
Also it's going to need an underground school-bus bunker defended by a solenoid operated railgun
>>
Pallets are treated with all kinds of nasty stuff, even the pressure treated ones. Don't use that stuff where you live, or near food.
>>
>>961170
"dirty floors" is really the least of your problems....
>>
>>958283

Fires. Lots and lots of fires.
>>
>>961160
This. Even if they are properly heat treated before hand. If your stamps aren't 100% clear they will gas them and charge your company whatever their cousin wants.

I used to build crates for a company that shipped internationally. Maintaining those stamps was a bitch. If your wood counts were off they'd pull your stamps, if they saw bark on the wood they'd fine you. They saw bark on a pallet that was bought and fined the shit out of the company it was bought from. They take that shit seriously.
>>
>>959385
Not saying I'm all for making pallet furniture, but how bad can the chemicals be on them? They are used to ship food all the time. Wouldn't the FDA throw a fit if they we known to be especially dangerous?
>>
>>961437
>They are used to ship food all the time. Wouldn't the FDA throw a fit if they we known to be especially dangerous?

Absolutely
Thats why food grade pallets are plastic.
>>
>>961252
He's probably talking about the nicer pallets that have to be shipped back to the warehouse, which charges the store if they don't get their pallets.
>>
File: IMG_20160313_213516.jpg (716 KB, 1093x2104) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160313_213516.jpg
716 KB, 1093x2104
>>958283
Didn't see this thread when I posted, but I made this door:
>>961396
>>
>>958283
I have build a couple of bridges over some ditches at my summer cottage.
>>
>>958668
>>959000
>>959388
>>959419
Literally the only reason the fags can give not to do this is "muh chemicals," it seems like there are a lot of bignoses that want you to buy their wood or something, plus, why the fuck does it even matter? op is going to be SITTING ON THIS SHIT, NOT FUCKUNG EATING IT JESUS MOTHERFUCKING CHRIST.
>>
>>958283
I mostly agree with the standard /diy/ rhetoric that it's shit wood and is dangerous, but I suppose that if you encapsulate it with the proper sealer, you could use that.

If you like that kind of shit.
>>
>>961739
You're breathing it. It's a bigger problem that you think.
>>
>>958783
This is literally the reason I love /diy/. Trash-talking masters of their trades, autists who do things right, and a bunch of faggots to spice things up.
>>
>>959020
U serious?

Cause that's pretty nice.
>>
>>961776
>literally
Literally literally Xddd
>>
File: 1456678303931.gif (145 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
1456678303931.gif
145 KB, 300x375
>>961776
>spotted the apprentice electrician
>>
>>961123
That has got to cost a prohibitive amount to hear for no reason with those high ceilings; what kind of faggot would do something like that
>>
>>961777
Shit was awesome.

There's some fucking awesome pallet art on this board. Giving me ideas for next deployment! Can't wait
>>
File: noice.jpg (20 KB, 406x489) Image search: [Google]
noice.jpg
20 KB, 406x489
>>961114
>>
>>961772

And warehouse employees don't take breaks on stacks of these things and handle them all day long?
>>
>>958283
>Make a raft and sail away to another side of the pond.
>dismantle raft and build a tree fort.
>never to return to the shores of your homeland
>establish sniper nest in tree fort.
>shoot any invading nieghborkids with trusty red ryder.
>become sole owner and lord master of local fish pond.
life is good
>>
File: 20160317_151532.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160317_151532.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
Dog kennel from pallets , some paint and a sheet of galv
>>
I kinda wanna build a little 3-walled shelter by my camping spot innawoods. Just something to enable me to enjoy being in the woods during pouring rain and snow and such
>>
File: 1326524695025.jpg (115 KB, 394x473) Image search: [Google]
1326524695025.jpg
115 KB, 394x473
>>958283
>>
>>961114
Good, now put the paper away.
>>
>>958283
Pallets are full of pesticides, just buy some wood and use it as you wish.
>>
>>961276
If you had a school bus and a container, what makes you think it would be smart to bury the schoolbus and convert the container into a house?
>>
>>963169
Woudn't that schoolbus be a biohazard (you know, all the oil and shit inside it) and aside for that in fact, why would somebody bury a schoolbus, it's metal structure would rust after a while, becoming not suitable and even dangerous since it would collapse at any time under the pressure of the ground around it.
>>
>>963026
It would be a good idea, do it anon.
>>
>>963171
Yes the government forces children to be driven to school every day in mobile biohazards and shipping containers are expected to be lived in from the moment of manufacture so they aren't ever treated with caustic or carcinogenic chemicals, paints, and solvents.
>>
>>962901
I once borrowed someones selfmade wharf and sailed around a lake that was near our summer cottage. Parents went mad after they found out and I got spanked, it was epic.
>>
>>963210
should have just accepted your fate and never left the barge or huckleberry finn'd it.
>>
>>961448
when i worked as a grocery stocker, all food came off the truck in pallets. i even remember getting my fingers pricked by several of them
>>
>>961941
Visual interest?
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.