[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm looking for a drill bit that can put a #8 hole and coutnersink
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6
File: sku_410687_1.jpg (46 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
sku_410687_1.jpg
46 KB, 700x700
i'm looking for a drill bit that can put a #8 hole and coutnersink in a single piece, specifically NOT the type with an adjustable countersink near the end.

ideally something like the picture but i have no need for the threaded part, need to drill through ~2" thick wood.

problem with adjustable is after drilling a large quantity of pieces the countersink segment comes a bit lose and moves on me, requiring readjusting.
>>
File: 41lS6qUwdQL.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41lS6qUwdQL.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
this is what i use now, works fine most of the time. does not have to be quick-change type as this work is done in a drill press.
>>
if a single piece bit doesn't exist, any recommendation on best drill bit with countersink and/or countersink on its own?
>>
>>958188
>this is what i use now, works fine most of the time. does not have to be quick-change type as this work is done in a drill press.
My advice would be to just keep on using what you are using, but use a Dremel to grind little divots in the drill bit for the countersink set screws. Then locktite the set screws in place with the unbreakable locktite, so they stay there forever.

Another way would be to braze the countersinks in place on the drill bits.

This will ruin the drill bit, but who gives a shit. It is the cheapest solution that will do what you want.

~~~~~~~

There are places that will make a single-piece tool bit like what you want, but they would charge you $100+ each. And that would be for ordering dozens of the same bit, in one size.
>>
File: snapcsset_500_38.jpg (75 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
snapcsset_500_38.jpg
75 KB, 700x700
>>958214
I swear by these trend countersinks. They work brilliant in wood and well in metal with a bit of lube.

The counter sink and hex arbor is one piece and the drill is removable so the issue of becoming loose is eliminated.
>>
File: Fuller.jpg (243 KB, 832x1500) Image search: [Google]
Fuller.jpg
243 KB, 832x1500
my level
>>
File: image.jpg (829 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
829 KB, 1200x1200
>>958233
2nd. I've never had the bit shift in a Snappy countersink.
>>
alright i'll look into these and probably also go with the locktite on one of the bits, thanks everyone.
>>
>>958293

These...about $9.00 at Lee Valley, easy to resharpen...
>>
>>958262
I don't use cut thread wood screws tho :-(
>>
>>958262
My workmate swears by the C6. In fact he has a dedicated drill just for that size to live in.
>>
C6 is your friend. It fits 90% of the crews you will need to sink. You can also sharpen them easilly and replace the bit if it breaks with an allen wrench. However avoid the countersink sets by Irwin, those bitches always wobble and come loose.
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 411x79) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 411x79
>>959585
As long as it's a taper bit. A straight 9/64" bit drills too loose for my liking for #6 and 8s. I prefer a C5 for #8 production screws.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.