[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Veneer fitting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: wtfhow.png (114 KB, 2307x660) Image search: [Google]
wtfhow.png
114 KB, 2307x660
pic related. I've got 5.7mm thick veneer and i don't want any edges to be visible when I glue myself a small box.

Is it possible with common tools or am I shooting myself in the foot? My intuition says that I could just file the edges so they fit 45° and 45° but I want to be sure if there's a better way or that if this method will cause me problems.
>>
>>957934
Define 'common tools'.
In either case, your best bet will be to make a jig and try out your method on a test piece.

Everything else depends on your skills, tools and how much time you're willing to invest.
>>
>>957937
Everything non-electric.
I've got files and sandpaper, clamps, hand planes etc
>>
That sort of cut is awfully hard to get right without a table saw.
>>
File: a.jpg (89 KB, 435x297) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
89 KB, 435x297
>>957949
Would it be more reasonable to get a pic related and sand down the edge until there's a full 45° corner?
>>
File: w.png (207 KB, 522x606) Image search: [Google]
w.png
207 KB, 522x606
>>957954
in fact, forget this –how about THIS? Seems like it would be perfect for the job
>>
>>957934
Uhm... mark it up, then use a stanley knife and snap it? That's what I do...
>>
>>957955
>>957954
Sure, anything works more or less:
>make a jig and try out your method on a test piece.
Then do it with your veneer.

Just use whatever is the most convenient for you personally with your tools and skill set.
>>
>>957934
Make a miter box and use it and a hand saw to cut the wood.
>>
>>957986
a mark with a stanley knife results in a 45 degree cut?
>>
You can do it with hand tools, but you'd be much better off with a circular saw or a table saw. Even a circular saw with a straight edge for a guide, otherwise there's a good chance the edges will look like complete ass.
>>
>>957954
>>957955
Going to be tough as shit, those small sanders are fucking garbage.

A power saw like a circular saw/table saw/compound miter saw will do it square and in seconds.
>>
File: pACE-989573dt.jpg (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pACE-989573dt.jpg
44 KB, 500x500
>>957934
Buy a miter box, you can get them for like 10$
>>
OP here. Thanks men.
A miter box seems like a good solution but because the box is small, around the size of a smartphone in terms of height and width and an inch tall, I'm afraid a hugeass saw would fuck things up because the cuts need to be super delicate to achieve the seamless look shown in the pic.

>>957955
looks perfect though, but will cost probably a bunch of money.

Probably going with a miter box but instead of a saw, I'll use a Stanley Knife and slice off tiny strips one by one and do fine tuning with a file or something.
>>
>>957954
>>957955

I'd sooner by a good compound mitre saw or table saw than sand a 45 mitre into a work piece.

It won't be as accurate either because Sanders are never perfectly flat and rely on your ability to hold the work piece square to the belt or disk all of the time.
>>
>>959077
>I'd sooner by a good compound mitre saw or table saw than sand a 45 mitre into a work piece.

Doesn't even have to be a compound miter saw. I've been rocking a 20 year old makita miter that still cuts true to this day. I haven't really run into many occasions where I'd need a compound. A slider, sure but even those tend to be less accurate due to the sliding arms.
>>
File: Kapex.jpg (99 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Kapex.jpg
99 KB, 800x600
>>959194
Apparently pic related is really very accurate according to every festool cuck on any woodworking forum or topic on the internet.

Personally I've never been let down with my old knackered makita compound mitre saw. Although I'd really like a Bosch GCM 12 GDL.
>>
>>959213
Looks cool as fuck but I'm a poorfag
>>
>>959284
Don't worry I wouldn't but the kapex either.
>>
>>959032
Size of the saw means jack shit
A miter saw with a high TPI finishing blade, they are meant for crown molding.

A brand new hand saw with a miter box will be sharp enough to get a decent cut will little sanding.

Using a utility knife and a file is going to fuck it up royally.
>>
>>959290
Oh okay thanks
Would a hacksaw blade be good?
>>
File: hacksaw_teeth.gif (5 KB, 276x287) Image search: [Google]
hacksaw_teeth.gif
5 KB, 276x287
>>959294
Miter boxes come with large flat "backsaw" handsaws with them.
They have a flush cut type kerf to them, because if it had kerf like a regular hacksaw it would destroy the miter box. The teeth arent angled to where they would touch the plastic like regular hacksaw blades.

You would need to find another flush cut backsaw.

But like I said, most miter boxes literally come with the saw to use with it. It will work perfectly fine.
>>
File: 4895865.jpg (75 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
4895865.jpg
75 KB, 400x400
>>959300
Big thanks for the info. Getting a miter box today.
I'll keep you updated if this thread is still alive when I'm done.
>>
>>959213
>Bosch GCM 12 GDL
Bought the bosch 2 weeks ago. It's worth it to me. I have a tiny workshop, it's footprint is very small. Save up for it.
>>
One more question - what's the best glue to use?
>>
>>957945
>>959564

you can get a much more accurate miter with a shooting board jig and a hand plane than with sandpaper or even a miter box and saw. especially with something thin like that.

Anyway, real woodworkers answer question
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/49773

tldr is tha generally, the easiest way is to notch the corners of the box and glue in a solid wood block for the edges of the veneer to butt against, then trim the block flush.

>>960645
also, traditionally veneering uses a pressure activated glue and a roller. you've got to be careful with what you pick (test it definitely) because many glues will soak through the thin veneer and mess up your finishing.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.