[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I convert a garage into a man cave? Is it something easy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 15
File: Garage Man Cave.jpg (63 KB, 623x415) Image search: [Google]
Garage Man Cave.jpg
63 KB, 623x415
How do I convert a garage into a man cave? Is it something easy I can do myself or need to hire people for?
>>
>>957000
Depends.
What do you wanna do?
Do you have any tools?
Did you have a father growing up?
>>
>>957000
All it takes to convert anything into a "man cave" is to buy tacky ass "masculine" versions of the hobby lobby decorations.

They are great to let everyone know how much you fall into pop cultures idea of masculinity!
>>
>>957000
The term you are looking for is a cuckshed.
>>
>>957000
>How do I convert a garage into a man cave?

Tell your wife to park her car outside.

So this is purely a thought problem with no chance of practical applicability.
>>
File: ok.jpg (24 KB, 539x300) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
24 KB, 539x300
>>957000
>red painted rafters
>light up bar sign that reads 'BAR'
>generic 'man' furniture strewn about
>unlabeled 6 packs under TV
>generic swimsuit model poster
What is this, cliché white married male design?
>>
>>957000
First step, accept your fragile ego/ false sense of masculinity. Now, you realize a "man cave" is an invention of western society's false ideals of what manhood is defined by, in that recognizing that owning materialistic "manly" bullshit is a waste of money.
>>
If you have to ask how to convert something into a man cave, you don't need a man cave.
>>
>>957171
I was with you until
>generic swimsuit model poster
>>
>>957000
I can’t stand people who say they have man caves. You don’t have a man cave. You have a sad living room for douchebags. It’s like a museum dedicated to shit that you’ve talked youself into believing is a replacement for the masculine traits you lost by growing the fuck up. Your big ass TV that has ESPN running 24/7 doesn’t negate the fact that you only have sex every three months. Your $1500 pool table won’t make your minivan turn into a Charger. Sweet leather sectional, brah. It totally makes up for the fact that you consider yourself lucky to get a natural erection. Nice bar. Enjoy the one night a week your wife will watch the kids alone long enough to let you drink something from it while trying to convince yourself that sipping scotch you’re pretty much pretending to like out of a glass that cost $45 means as much as you thought it would. Oh, and make sure to turn off that neon beer ad when you leave the room. Our power bill was a little high last month.
>>
>>957000
A garage with cars or tools is much more of a man cave than one decorated with Ikea and Pier 1 Imports decorations.
>>
>>957000
>How do I convert a garage into a man cave? Is it something easy I can do myself or need to hire people for?

What are your goals, be specific. What skills do you have? What tools do you have?

As for that picture...
>antlers
>uninsulated open walls
>poker table
>posh leather furniture
>cable spools

It's like the job is only half done, but they went and put in CEO class furnishings anyway. Fucking cliches.
>>
File: FF2008.jpg (21 KB, 365x280) Image search: [Google]
FF2008.jpg
21 KB, 365x280
>>957188
Farrah is so hawt
>>
>>957198
Sounds like someone is jealous that they don't have a man cave.
>>
>>957198
This.
>>
A stage for a band and some instruments
Computer terminals for gaming and hookups for your friends
A bench and bars
A couch and TV with a bong and a coffee table
Posters of good looking women
A mini fridge stocked with alcohol
A small bar that you could mix drinks at
A rug
A dartboard
A boxing bag
I dunno... check google
>>
>>957198
I hate the idea of man caves too, but holy shit are you annoying.
>>
>>957000

Make or buy some nice work benches, get a decent tool chest, buy some tools start wrenching.

Tada, man cave.
>>
>>957000

Be like James may.
>>
You don't, you use a garage for what its intended for.
>>
>>957323

He is right though. A man cave, as depicted, is a very American, white, borderline impotent, cuck, type extension that makes up for a lack of other things. Kind of like a bro-truck or power boat owned by someone who lives 50 miles inland.

They are generally found in the houses of men who are unhappy in their marriage and need somewhere to get away but their wife doesn't trust them going more than 50' from the house unless it is too work because she has jealousy issues that stem from her own infidelity. It is a sign that the marriage is already done.
>>
I like the idea of having a small study/office instead of a 'man cave'. Walls lined with large, full book shelves, a desk with a PC, and a leather chair with an ottoman. Also, maybe some sort of exhaust so I can smoke a cigar without hot boxing myself.

But I have a feeling that might be fedora tier.
>>
>>957000
If you have to ask such a general question, you don't need/deserve/have the ability to build a mancave.
>>
i find the discussion on the symptoms of the mancave.
do all men immediately surrender then choice of decor and furnishing to their spouses when married?

i'm guessing that if the couple could share, compromise and talk to each other the man wouldn't feel so alienated in his own livingroom.

could they possibly enjoy both rooms?
>>
>>957910
Women decorate.
I've never been in a relationship or seen a relationship where the woman doesn't decorate.

I imagine this is primarily because most men are inherently about utility rather than "pretty".

To the poster implying that the man cave is about being a cuck thing that makes up for lack of other things, I can't disagree more. I also find it interesting when people bitch about guys buying things (like big trucks and boats or whatever you're talking about) and how it means they're making up for something or have some weird issues. Men just value different things. Like the idea of a guy with a trashed garage full of tools and oil and sawdust and whatever else, but a pristine old car in it that's his "baby". Nobody bashes on women for having a lot of shoes or buying a glittery iPhone case or owning jewelry, saying she's a shallow money/possessions hungry bitch that's overcompensating for not being valuable to society. They just accept that's how some girls are.

TL;DR I used to have a card table and workshop in my garage, with a tv and old couch and it was the goddamned best thing ever. Had a good relationship with my lady. You're wrong.
>>
>>957546
So, make a cuckshed of of legos? Got it.
>>
>>957912
>Nobody bashes on women for having a lot of shoes or buying a glittery iPhone case or owning jewelry, saying she's a shallow money/possessions hungry bitch that's overcompensating for not being valuable to society.

Speak for yourself. An excessive amount of shoes are the singularly worst investment women make. You wanna talk about fake self image? Let's start there. Useful for one thing, generally too expensive to wear other than to "black tie" events, and even then half the night is spent barefoot because they chafe.
>>
Wtf is wrong with some of you people. Man caves are cool not because they're manly, it's because they're filled with cool shit like video games and pool tables.
>>
>>957000
if you were a man, you would already know.
>>
File: Behold1a.jpg (991 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
Behold1a.jpg
991 KB, 3008x2000
>>957000
real men don't ask.
>>
>>957912

>They just accept that's how some girls are.

For me is that I don't waste my time with those kinds of women or I give up fighting the good fight because you can't reason with someone who is unreasonable but really just not wasting my time with them.

I am the >>957747 poster and I stand by my opinion.

I agree that women are inherently better at decorating and men are better at being utilitarian. I am a bit over utilitarian so when my wife wants to decorate the house I leave her to it and she does a pretty good job and I like the vibe that she is able to create in the house. Pretty flowers and shit.

But here now we talk about men being utilitarian. Yes that is an inherent trait that we have and we can easily identify that a man cave like the one in the OP is not utilitarian. A lifted bro truck is the opposite of utilitarian. A pristine "my baby" car is also the opposite of utilitarian. Those are all fetishes.

A utilitarian truck would be the cheapest POS you can get that does the job and nothing more. Not some money pit of a truck that costs up to the tens of thousands that make them less useful.

My father in law has something that appears to be the man cave but if you spend more than 5 mins inside you would realize that his wife did all the decorating. The only thing he put up there was the pool table and the fire pit. After asking questions it turned out that the wife who wanted to hang out up there too had done all the tiling, hanging all the manly memorabilia, cross stitching and hanging of the "pool hall rules" and so on. When you look at the guys work shop there you can tell that a woman has never been there.

You see, a man cave, a lifted bro-truck are both decorations, a peacocks feathers. They serve no real purpose other than to "look cool".
>>
This seem a contentious issue.

Personally I'm split, much like opinion in this thread.

The way I see it, the question "what goes into a man cave" is really quite similar to other things that are deeply personal, in that there's a general feeling that doing as others have done before is less authentic, less valid.

There's a definite "mold" that you can easily fill with brown leather and brushed steel, slap on some industrial looking decorations and an oversized TV and declare your cave. There's probably a definite co-relation between mid life crises and the purchase of said furnishings.

On the other hand, I personally feel claustrophobic if there is no place I can tinker with projects that are noisy and messy.

I assume the "Man Cave (TM)" as opposed to the "shop" might be more targeted to men who don't frequent /diy/. Not that this is the end all be all of tinkerers and makers, but there's a huge class of technically inept males who feel they've wasted their lives, and need a place to feel masculine.

We all do.

I think we all need places to be ourselves, whether that means gender, sex or personal interest. That's not up for debate here, you feel happier and healthier once you have your own space where everything is "just right".

The "Man Cave (TM)" is just a way of allowing technical retards the sense that they built and made functional such a space. For the user, depending on their needs, it's not inherently less valuable than a shop. But I will agree that there's nothing that screams "WHITE SUBURB AMERICAN MALE" more than a doublewide garage filled with sports apparel and an overpriced TV.
>>
>cuck
>all women are unfaithful
>u r all le girly men
It's like I'm really on /pol/
>>
>>957985

If I were a woman and married a man who after a couple of years decided he had to go out of his way to find his "manliness" and was just an outright pathetic pleb who did it through his man cave or something equally ridiculous then yes I would probably cuck him.
>>
Is it the fact that they're called Mancaves, bringing to mind the hyper-masculine image like in OPs pic that you guys loathe?

Are workshops cuckworthy? Like a shed or something out back where a man can work on his projects and be as messy as he wants.

I'm a bit confused on the issue.
>>
File: Pan1.jpg (2 MB, 8176x928) Image search: [Google]
Pan1.jpg
2 MB, 8176x928
>>957007
no, decorations have to be acquired over time

>>957000
If you want it to look nice you better read up on carpentry and get a router
>>
File: 012m.jpg (39 KB, 465x372) Image search: [Google]
012m.jpg
39 KB, 465x372
The best way to convert anything in to a man cave is to put a industrial lathe in
>>
>>958014

Workshops can be cuckworthy if the point of the workshop is similar to the man cave.

Where the guy leans up on the pristine work station and brags to his neighbor about his $2,500 sliding miter. And does it so he can hide from the wife who is glad that his limp dick is out of her bed until the wee hours of the morning doing absolutely nothing worthwile.

Same thing with boats too. Those pleasure boats that sit in storage for years sucking down the families funding and the guy refuses to sell it because one day he'll use it.

Bro trucks too. Sinking money into nonsense that brings nothing other than some mental dick stroking can redeem it's value.

It all depends on the application. Your image is also a cuck lair.

What kind of man spends that amount of time making his house look like a shitty bar?
>>
>>958081
I get it but your so down on the whole thing, why do anything at all?

You make good points but it seems you are more jealous of others abilities to afford certain things and use your intelligence to frame their indulgences in a very negative light.

Why expend do much energy on hating if it in no way affects you?
>>
>>957968

There is a house down the block that turned their garage into a very nice game room. Recessed lighting, nice tile, pool table, leather chairs, etc.

but it seems like wasted effort. The garage is always opened with cars parked in the drive way. No one is playing pool or watching the tv.

boxes are crammed up against the garage door and stacked on the pool table, like they needed the space for storage but someone had to have their man cave.

To each their own but I will pass on the garage man cave.
>>
File: panorama_03a.jpg (1 MB, 4522x1130) Image search: [Google]
panorama_03a.jpg
1 MB, 4522x1130
my mantown is relegated to a bedroom at the moment. if i had a garage i would have more shelving and /diy/ acoustic treatment and prime listening seating but ah don't
>>
I love /diy/'s general reaction to this thread.

Garage as mancave is the most cuckworthy idea, because your space is not even allowed in your own house.

Garages are for cars, tools, and workbenches. They're where you put sharp objects and machines filled with volatile chemicals so the little ones can't reach them.

Basically, if your identity as a man isn't allowed inside your home, you're living like a slave. If you want a space where you can distance yourself from your wife/girlfriend/family because they don't let you act like yourself, you need to reevaluate your relationships.

Full disclosure: I do have a urinal installed in my garage, next to the slop sink, so I don't have to go inside the house to piss. I also have a small fridge out there, and a stereo, but I feel these things enhance my experience of working on shit.
>>
File: img-thing.png (54 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.png
54 KB, 300x300
>>958110
how does a urinal help you with shit tho anon
>>
>>958114
Man, if you can't contemplate the convenience of being able to stay dirty while relieving yourself, I don't think you know what it's like to have a dick.

The urinal is there instead of a toilet because I didn't have the foresight to add a toilet flange when I put the plumbing into the garage floor. I just did a stub out for the slop sink drain.

Ironically, the urinal got put in because the wife bitched at me for pissing in the slop sink, which I did for a year or two. Maybe I should tone down my rhetoric a bit...
>>
>>958093

The same way I hate on fashion designers with lisps and your standard "homo" dialect. It is just retarded.

It wouldn't be an issue if my wife's friends husbands didn't have this suburbanite "real man" attitude and all behave like they're in a frat.

I have my own group of friends and we are much more technical, mostly engineers, and when we are all at a party the frat group of accounts and lawyers segregate themselves from the crowd like a highschool movie.

Interestingly in the tech crowd you have one guy who runs a HVAC company band he has a boat that he staffs with guys who go fishing and runs a small side business from it where the guys in the frat have a couple of boats that haven't been used for years.

Generally they are the guys that their wives are screaming at but while they have lots of voice in the presence of others you can hear the giggling of the other wives about how the bro is in for a beating that night and how they will be in the dog house.

I understand this does not represent everyone but this is my first hand experience.

Its almost like I am watching some sort of movie.
>>
File: 1452247828533.jpg (834 KB, 1214x1239) Image search: [Google]
1452247828533.jpg
834 KB, 1214x1239
>this thread
>>
>>958078
yeh.
or electronics lab and studio gear.
>>
>>958081
> brags to his neighbor about his $2,500 sliding miter.
I have the face of the fucking guy in my head now hahahahah.

>>958110
>Basically, if your identity as a man isn't allowed inside your home, you're living like a slave.
Fucking this.

> I do have a urinal installed in my garage, next to the slop sink, so I don't have to go inside the house to piss.

I literally had that idea today too. Good on ya.
>>
I have a room with my pictures, tv, computers, recliner, and guns. I hang out there all the time and watch cartoons with my son. Don't really drink enough to have a bar, but I do have an assortment of snacks in the closet and a mini fridge with drinks.

Am I a cuck?
>>
>>958162
This whole thread is retarded. Why the fuck should anyone care what anyone else wants to do with their time, money or garage.

Once upon a time before mancave was even a thing I had a lounge in my garage. Couches, stereo, fridge, fuckton of license plates all over the ceiling - that kind of shit. I'd go out there to smoke cigs, weed, have a few beers because I didn't like to do those around the kids. We had lots of parties in that garage. Kids played video games and shit and didn't have to see their drunk parents acting like drunks and using bad language.

Fast forward to today and the kids are grown and on their own so now my garage is a workshop and I have a bar in my dining room.

Was I a cuck because I wanted a party area away from the kids where if a drink got spilled or some other party accident happened I wouldn't even give a fuck? No need to actually answer that because I don't care.

Do whatever makes you happy. Remember that whatever makes you happy today might not tomorrow. And there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
File: 1456678303931.gif (145 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
1456678303931.gif
145 KB, 300x375
>>957198
Lost
>>
>>958236

My parents dragged me around to parties.

I am glad for it. Though they aren't parties that happened in someone's garage while the kids sat inside playing video games or some other shit.

These were parties that involved speed boats and off roaders to get to the location. Then they'd set up a generator to play some soca, pull out the pot, start the fire and get to cooking.

Fucking bashment. Bacchanal. I was adept at to driving, piloting, cooking, reasonable understanding electricity and engine maintenance by the age of 13. Also if someone dropped a glass there was no worry about me hurting myself because I wasnt a sheltered soft skin child who had no idea how to pick up and clear glass shards.

I learnt how to socialize and understood how some one operated when they had too much too drink.

Leaving home for college left me no surprises and I can tell you that I am glad that I wasn't left to play video games like your kids. I had access to the latest and greatest as my father was running a telecoms company in its prime and he chose right for me.

Your kids missed out on vital social and real world skills.

I am going to try my best to damn well make sure my son is not some sheltered brat like yours when he grows up.
>>
File: 1430186149196.gif (769 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1430186149196.gif
769 KB, 300x168
>>958313
APPLY COLD WATER TO BURN
>>
>>957198
Were you raped by a pool table as a kid or something?
>>
>>958140
>pissing in the utility sink
I always do this. Turn the faucet on for a second, and nobody's the wiser.

If anyone asks, I just say I spilled some ammonia I was using to clean a part.
>>
File: 1376718371154.jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1376718371154.jpg
15 KB, 250x250
>>957198
Is this fresh pasta?

>https colon slash slash www dot facebook dot com slash jacob dot w dot mackey slash posts slash 10201787542509806
>https colon slash slash www dot reddit dot com slash r slash rant slash comments slash 1j9lod slash your_man_cave_is_stupid

No, no it's not. :/ I googled it on a whim just before posting
>>
>>958342
Jesus fuck this site wouldn't let me post links. Might just be easier to google the pasta and find those links yourself
>>
>>957000

If you want to see a "mac cave" start a workbench thread or search the archive
>>
>>958313
Shut the fuck up Tony Stark, literally nobody gives a shit about how cool you are.
>>
>>957000
>pic

Moar liek man-child consumer cave, amirite?
>>
Well this thread got surprisingly deep.
>>
>>958407
>two people making up stories
>deep
>>
>>958375

Never tried to imply I was cool. Just that I am sure I was better off being a part of everything rather than being left in a room staring at a screen developing nothing other than "how to pwn n00bs"
>>
>>958492
My kids weren't sheltered basement dwelling gamers and are just fine. They had plenty of social interaction during these parties with their cousins, friends and team mates. They all played sports from an early age up until college. Let me tell you what a PITA it is when 3 kids have 3 games at 3 different location at the same time.

We kept them busy so that they wouldn't have time to get into trouble. Seems to have worked. Like I said they're all grown and on their own and doing well. So don't presume you know anything about my family and try to talk down to me.
>>
>>957171
It honestly looks like a "mancave" designed by a girl
>>
>>958093
This desu
He's coming off as kind of a cucky loser imo
>>
>>958592

>So don't presume you know anything about my family

As an HOA cookie cutter dwelling sports fan I know that I have seen your kind on tv all the time
>>
>>958704
>>
Listen here, OP. I'm going to give you some actual advice. First, never say "man cave" again. That's some basic shit. What you're trying to make is a space you control where you can do shit you like with shit you actually use.

What you don't want is a bunch of stuff that you "like the idea of." Don't get a card table unless you actually play cards and are tired of using the dining room table. Don't get a minibar and stock it with scotch because you think that sounds manly as shit. Doing stuff like that is the fastest way to end up in a useless room that you sit in every so often while hoping to feel some sense of manly fulfillment.

DO move shit in there that you use. Got a hobby? Move in your tools and supplies. Like to game? Treat yourself, get a nice computer, and set up a command station. Musically inclined? Soundproof it and move in the instruments. Get decorations that are actually reflective of who you are and what your interest are. Strive to be authentic.

So that's my advice. Before you put a single leather chair or neon bar sign in your garage, ask yourself if you actually like it and/or will use it, or if you just like the idea of it because you've been sold some commercialized vision of manhood. Think about your interests. If you can think of anything where you go "damn, I wish I had a space where I could X" then the rest will come naturally.
>>
>>957198
you fuckers do not into wives? man caves are the last bastion of male identity before she moved in and took over decorating by force. its like having someone move in, tell you all the cool shit you've collected since your childhood is shit and stuffing all your stuff in boxes to wait in the attic until you both compromise on having a place for yourself. ie. a room, as opposed to the rest of the house that she gets.
>>
>>957198
Sure the typical, generic photo-op mancave is gay but Lmao you sound like a gigantic effeminate faggot.
>>
>>959453
same poster. also its a room you can lock to keep the kids out as opposed to childproofing everything.
>>
>>958081
I have a brotruck and I fuck every night. It's a hobby like any other and if I have left over money to waste on whatever the fuck I feel like then why the fuck not. I've got a lifted powerstroke and a 64 Chevy with a twin turbo. I have a fuckin blast with both. You just sound like a bitter faggot.
>>
>>957773
This. I have a comfy office that I do my electronics/tinkering, reading, computer stuff, and the odd animu watching/gaming in.

I'm more taken aback by the uninsulated walls than the tacky design. Who the fuck would /comfy/ in there? I'm Canadian, though. Would boil in the summer, freeze in the winter.

>don't hotbox myself
Maybe just install a big, quiet Panasonic bath fan in that smoking room, eh?
>>
As someone with a two year old I appreciate having a place where one can leave something sharp out without worrying the little guy will put an eye out. However my "man cave" is the open Basement/Garage of a split level with one 1/4 devoted to the laundry room. Two giant workbenches and a table saw and router table take up my workshop. However its not a man cave everyone gets to be there and the sharps can be put away so the two year old can explore if I need to keep an eye on him. No part of my house is "off limits" to the of age occupants. If you can't share your space totally then what the fuck are you married for.
>>
959442 < this shit exactly. Dont do it because it sounds like a what a manly person has. If you have the space to do what you want put shit in there you enjoy. Otherwise you just made a douchebag museum featuring a vision of manliness you think you need but will grow to hate.
>>
>>958114
Under-understood post.
>>
>>959583
How... How new are you?
>>
>>958110
Well men are the weaker sex. Just look at the suicide rates, men can't even cope with the everyday task of living.
>>
>>959620
>men suicide with things that will kill you (guns, bridges, cars etc.)
>women suicide with pills (plea for help suicides)

TL;DR men are just better at it.
>>
>>959645
This is probably another good argument why men shouldn't have a man cave in the garage, with one little unbalanced feel and all he has to is run the engine of his car and sit back in a leather recliner.
>>
>>959661
Jokes on him, the car has a catalytic converter and he did a shity job of sealing his garage.

Now he has to deal with his wife's nagging *and* he has a headache.
>>
>>957000
Insufficient data for a meaningful answer.
>>
>>959620
You mean men understand the pointlessness and futility of existing and are brave enough to overcome pretty much the greatest fear nature provides for us.
>>
>>959666

>tfw wife nagging you to death
>fire up with ef tree fiddy
>ahhh the sweet smell of the eternal sleep
>next morning
>JIMMY! JIMMY WHAT THE FUCKAREYOUDOINGDONTEVENTELLMEYOU WEREABOUTTOLEAVEMEWITHTHOSETWOBRATSNOWHURRYANDWAKEUPANDGETTHEMREADYANDTAKETHEMTOSCHOOLANDGETYOURASSTOWORKBECAUSEIGOTTAMEETSTACEYFORCOFFEEINLIKE FIIIIIIVE MINS
>why lord why
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.