[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I recently acquired 35 acres of land in southern Colorado
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: 4.jpg (70 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
70 KB, 1000x500
So I recently acquired 35 acres of land in southern Colorado butted up against national park land, amidst wilderness.
End game I would like to have all my land enclosed, trying to decide on fencing. I don't know too much about fencing. Deer and elk are prevalent there as well as black bears. I tried looking up methods to keep bears away online, but I guess these tips were all for people who's answer to these problems aren't just putting up a big fucking fence. I'll have a garden, fish, honey, and all sorts of shit bears want in there because bears know what's up and we like the same shit.
Fencing advice and general bear tips are greatly appreciated.
>>
File: beararooni.jpg (157 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
beararooni.jpg
157 KB, 900x720
Picture of honey-snouted nigger bear for reference
>>
>>955364

I would fuck that bear

after I tranquilized it of course
>>
File: 2.jpg (25 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
25 KB, 500x333
>>955366
>>
File: thedream.jpg (448 KB, 700x399) Image search: [Google]
thedream.jpg
448 KB, 700x399
>inb4 jurassic park fence
I can still dream though.
>>
I'll help you farm and build for free lodge. I'm also a great cook.
>>
>>955426
I feel like there's an implied "wink wink" in that post.
>>
File: electricfence.jpg (133 KB, 610x344) Image search: [Google]
electricfence.jpg
133 KB, 610x344
This but higher.
>>
>>955363
Work for a fence company. Most important question is, how much are you willing to spend?
>>
>>955439
What you dont want that hot ass ?
>>
>>955445
I've had my hopes dashed a time or two from expecting one thing, getting another. I'd hate for that to happen to OP.

Seriously, you're going to spend a shit ton to build a fence big and strong enough to keep out the critters you're dealing with. Invest in 30-06 might be sound advice here, or bigger.
>>
>>955363
thorny hedgerow?
>>
File: 5db.jpg (34 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
5db.jpg
34 KB, 600x480
defecate everywhere so they know who's land it is

I would not be surprised the lengths they'd go through to get in
>>
M8..

How much did it cost you? I want to buy some land by there. Maybe set up a Cabin that I can vacation at.

I live in Florida currently.
>>
File: 7.gif (759 KB, 365x205) Image search: [Google]
7.gif
759 KB, 365x205
>>955440
Yeah electric would be nice, but there aren't city electric hookups out there, all electricity will come from generator and solar means. Perhaps if there are some designs where the wire only becomes live when disturbed to save on power consumption, other than that it wouldn't be viable for me.
>>955441
ballpark me fence man. Lowest quality vs highest quality while still being functional at being a fence.
>>
>>955528
around 80, good deal I'd say. yeah I would like to eventually put a cabin in the back to use and rent out. but one of the very few hoa laws is that the land is a "single family residence" so shits gonna be on the hushers
>>
>>955366
>after I tranquilized it of course

.... but that's bear rape, senpai.
>>
>>955781
bears can't say no
>>
>>955786
They can't consent, either.
And that is why beastiality is rape.
Unless they're the ones doing the raping.
Then you know they definitely want it.
Don't let the bears rape you.
It hurts.
>>
>>955778
Damn, so only one family can live there?

80k is a lot btw.
>>
>>955363

Fencing in that much land to keep the animals out would be too damn expensive.

four wire barbed wire fence is nothing to elk, they just run through it. You'd need the kind of fences you see at a rodeo around your entire property to keep elk and deer out. Bear, well, they'll find a way just to spite you. Your best bet is to fence out smaller areas around your items of interest if you don't want to end up in the poor house on materials alone.
>>
>>955887
well its also got two wells
>>
>>955363
>fencing. I don't know too much about fencing. Deer and elk are prevalent there as well as black bears. I tried looking up methods to keep bears away online, but I guess these tips were all for people who's answer to these problems aren't just putting up a big fucking fence.

You clearly don't know how to google.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bear+proof+fence&client=safari&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=672&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitgpzuxKXLAhVBkRQKHfhTB88Q_AUIBCgA
>>
>>955893
true, will probably try to just fence in maybe a third of it wherever the livestock and garden is going to be. nothing really big is going to be inside, foul and goats mostly. Just trying to keep the big stuff out but yeah, black bears don't care. That's what makes them different from care bears
>>
>>955895
that google result list is very similar to just googling electric fence, which isn't really on my table of options. unless I can find a good solar option, which I know some exist I just don't know how effective they are.
>>
maybe sheet metal? :/
>>
>>955904
Do you even know what a 12 volt deep-cycle battery is?
As that is all you need.
>>
>>955908
do now, thanks
>>
Fencing the whole thing sounds like a lot of money. Would it not be an easier/cheaper/faster option to fence a large portion around your living/garden area?
>>
>>955771
As I don't know costs in Colorado I can't be exact. Never buy fencing materials at Home Depot. They are exorbitantly over priced. >>955440
This will be cheapest but it only serves as a property line, it won't hold a raccon back.

Find a large fencing company. Ask if they have any available used 9 gauge chain link for sale, 8 foot preferable. Tell them how many acres you own. (They'll want to sell because it's a fucking lot)
Ask for low gauge thick 12 foot posts.
Ask for rolls and rolls of tension wire.
Ask for a lot of 10 foot top rail.
Ask for a lot of Aluminum ties.
Ask for a lot of Hog Rings.
Buy your quick setting concrete at Home Depot, a lot.
Hire some cheap fencing company to build it with your materials. They'll charge an arm and a leg for theirs. (Make sure they assemble it level otherwise it will be fragile and look like shit)
Don't fall for their bullshit salesmen tactics.

This will be your cheapest, sturdiest option. It will be a 8 foot tall fence and keep almost any animal out. If a bear really wants to come in, if it smells blood, it will come in. Repairs won't cost that much though.

No matter what your fence is made of, it will cost a small fortune for that many acres.
Any questions keep asking.
>>
>>955970
Build >>955440 on your property line. Build>>956047 around an acre or two around your home. It will be much significantly cheaper to build around two acres instead of 36.
We use to do fence jobs 100s of acres for enormous companies. Let's just say it's not worth it unless you're wealthy.
>>
>>955894
What else?
>>
>>956047
sounds like a good option, will most certainly keep in mind moving forward, probably my best option.>>956048 Yeah that sounds reasonable
>>956086 That and hundreds of ponderosa pines and douglas firs

Thanks for the considerate advice pals
>>
>>955363
How old are you OP? Sorry just cause I dream of owning property one day, somewhere isolated just like you, but I know i'll never be able to accumulate enough cash for my dream and I will die with remorse and regret. So i'm curious to know at what age you were able to accomplish my dream.
>>
You should sell half or more of that land IMO. Lots of cash and itll be preserved. Then you could have a bunch of hunting land if youre into that, maybe build a house with a nice open view. Or just a cabin.
>>
Enclosing it all would be insanely expensive, and silly. Enclose ONLY what you need to enclose for function, which would be a modest compound.

Other people in similar situations don't put up a big fucking fence because it is stupid for the many reasons you would know if you thought it through.

Intrusive animals can be shot and eaten. Make friends with firearms when you live in rural areas, and PRACTICE so you hit your target. Guns in rural areas are tools.

There is an enormous amount of information on rural and farm life. Use it and have fun. All necessary processes are refined over centuries.

You will need a house, a barn and a workshop. House and shop can be combined of course, and /diy/ is highly necessary to farm life. If you can get reefer trailers (insulation is nice) or shipping containers that gives you instant locking storage and shop space. Unlike the fantasy containerfags, I have three with two joined as a shop. I will add a few more since I want motorcycle and equipment storage.
>>
>>955363
Do what normal people do on their homesteads. Clear everything within 50m of your house. No brush, trees to catch fire and kill you. Firebreaks are important. Then just build a fence around your house in whatever size you actually need for your yard. No point in fencing all 35 acres unless you have livestock.
>>
>>956183
Sell them.
>>
>>955801
>/diy/ - Bestiality
>>
Also OP, if you would be willing to rent it I could go one day for vacay.
>>
>>955801
>Don't let the bears rape you.

It's like you don't even want an Oscar.
>>
>>955363
Back in south central PA alot of produce farms had to make their fences taller then 8 foot because the deer were starting to jump the fence.
>>
>>955363
How much did this land cost and how can I get some?
>>
>>957091
Yeah, been worried about that a bit too, 10 ft seems the be the minimum to keep out deer
>>
>>956641
21, my mom and step dad are moving out there as well so it's pretty much a family move. The money for it was inherited from my grandmother 50/50 to me and my mom. We're not super rich or anything. We got the land, taxes should be cheap on it, even cheaper with a residence on it. Seriously it was like a couple hundred bucks annually on taxes. We're just all sick of the usual lifestyle of working for someone else, and saving up so you can enjoy your body when it's ready to rot. Seize the day and what all.
>inb4 op lives in his moms basement :^)
>>
>>957091
>>957356
Theres this cemetery in town with a 6 foot spiked steel fence around the entire perimeter.

Deer too lazy to walk around. Most jump the fence.
Every once and a while one fails gets impaled and slides down the spike 2 feet.
I think the police spend more rounds on deer than anything else since nothing happens in this small Midwest town
>>
OP-----> Why high fence it? Why not make sure that animals can travel through giving you the easy ability to harvest game on your own property? Bear hams are fucking delicious and a black bear will not cause you much problem.
>>
Truck in dirt, build 8 foot high rammed earth walls, coat with stucco.
>>
Build a chicken wire fence, and cover it in a delicious mixture of sugar, salt, and cyanide.
Free meat fence.
>>
>>955801
if you let them they would rape you doesn't that mean that they consent?
>>
>>955893
>>955970
>>956048
>>956690
/thread
>>
>>957425
Oh god, I live in the Midwest near a military base. Near the front gates they have decorative iron spiked gates. One time when I was driving past I saw a bunch of grunts out there trying to lift a deer off the fence. None looked too pleased.
>>
>>955801

> fucking an animal is rape!!!
> killing an animal is fine :^)
>>
>>961500
rape = rape
killing = killing
both = fine by me :^)
>>
>>960237
Offutt?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.