[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Picked this up at a thrift shop and the record player needs fixed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: 5.jpg (2 MB, 1333x3000) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
2 MB, 1333x3000
Picked this up at a thrift shop and the record player needs fixed

it kind of spins but its rough, and the on off auto switch feels cemented in place

im working to get the platter off but its probably going to take a while

any advice?
>>
>>954933
>any advice?
i usually toss garbage in the bin...
>>
>>954933
>the on off auto switch feels cemented in place

Rip it apart and start there
>>
Barely moving turntable usally means it needs a belt.
>>
That's almost certainly an idler drive table. The idler wheel is likely dried out or destroyed and slipping. Don't put any decent records on it, it's a very crap table in the best of cases.
>>
>>955106
these record players are well known for seizing up in storage because the oil used practically turns into glue

Some heat and new oil usually fixes that so long as no one tried to force it to spin
>>
File: P1010257.jpg (670 KB, 1333x1000) Image search: [Google]
P1010257.jpg
670 KB, 1333x1000
Update, i got the on off switch to move but the turntable doesnt work, and now for some reason the thing wont turn off

now what?
>>
>>955257

It's haunted or possibly cursed, phone an exorcist.
>>
>>955259
Shit, i only noticed this after i put in a Michael Jackson 8 track in it

Is he haunting me now?
>>
Remove circlips and spindle, put hot soldering iron in hole, pull. Replace grease, check belts, hi 5, flip table, have a pint and wait for it all to blow over.
>>
>>955527
the spindle is not coming off any time soon, ive tried using both oil and a heat gun to get it of but its not budging
>>
https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130107171033AAWB2c9

Don't know if helpful
>>
>>955257
You broke the power switch when you got it to move.
>>
>>956149
I meant the on off auto switch for the turntable its self
>>
>>956244
Bertstare.gif
>>
If you really want it fixed take it to someone who knows what they're doing. A lot of the times these old turntables work as much on magic and unicorn semen as anything else.
>>
>>956294
theres an on off switch for the turntable and a main power switch for the whole system, the turntable switch was all mechanical and i got it to work after opening it up and oiling it but now the whole system wont power down
>>
>>956303
i have experience with normal turntables but these old all in one sound systems are completly different, i got it for $2 and was hoping to sell it for $60-$80, so taking it to someone to fix would probably cost more than that
>>
File: P1010266_6.webm (2 MB, 533x300) Image search: [Google]
P1010266_6.webm
2 MB, 533x300
>>954933
Update: after blood sweat and a lot of lube i finally got my self inside of it.

The motor works just fine but the platter doesnt seem to be getting enough push.

Im pretty sure its whatever this rubber wheel is, it can be stopped with just the slightest touch, it can get the platter up to speed after a few seconds but once the arm drops it slows down, and forget about it moving the auto gear.

anyone know what to do?
>>
Get some of this.
>>
File: 81MzfODvpVL._SL1500_.jpg (159 KB, 858x1500) Image search: [Google]
81MzfODvpVL._SL1500_.jpg
159 KB, 858x1500
This. Will take off any glaze on that old rubber and make it act like new.
>>
File: sys.png (920 KB, 1244x700) Image search: [Google]
sys.png
920 KB, 1244x700
>>954933
:Update: After some messing around the record player is fully functional.

The only problem it has now that im worried about is the left audio channel for the whole system doesn't work, i can get it to kind of work if i have the L/R slider almost entirely to the left but its quiet, i think theres something wrong with the connection on the slider but before i start poking around does anyone have any other suggestions?
>>
>>957113

slide pots have that big gash where dust and pollution can enter the pot. you can short the slider of the pot to the music input to see if the volume jumps to max. if so, then spraying some contact cleaner on the pot might revive it. if you buy a can, might as well spray all the switches and pots. you spray, then work the switches and pots repeatedly , then wait 30 minutes for the stuff to evaporate.
>>
>>957113
If it contains an amplifier, it might be an issue with one channel of it. Do you have any issues with the left channel when you use the radio? If you do, that would rule out the wiring of the tonearm. Definitely clean the switches/pots and see if that resolves it.
>>
This thing was not built to be taken apart easily, i think i have to rip off the metallic face plate to get to what i need and remove the whole switch, radio, and 8 track system to get to it
>>
>>957113
Does anyone know how to get the cover plates off of these things?
>>
I've tried cleaning the electronic parts and the audio is still messed up, my guess is theres something wrong with the switch its self.

im not exactly equipped to replace it so i'll probably sell it for $70 or so, but considering it got it for $2 its still a good profit.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.