[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CHEAP BLACK CABLE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_7955.jpg (707 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7955.jpg
707 KB, 1200x800
Hi /diy/, we need your help,

We are working on an art installation and we need 1 kilometer of black flexible cable.
The ideal diameter is 10 millimeters but it could be a bit less or more.
It could be an empty pipe/sheath because we don't need to electrify it.
Also, we don't need a single piece of 1 km, it could be 10*100m for exemple.

We are obvioulsy looking for the cheapest solution.

Do you have any ideas and/or advices ?

pic related : it's a test we've made
>>
>>954910

Look for the cheap flexible cable store...it's right beside the imitation crab meat store...

Hope this helps...
>>
>>954910
Coax cable. I don't know the exact diameter in mm tho. It's about 1/4 of an inch tho.

Or pneumatic tubing. Not sure of exact cost but it comes in various diameters.
>>
>>954915
something like rg59 might be cheap because digital tv fucking raped it so its useless now
>>
See scrap metal merchants.
>>
If you don't have a minimum length, go find a place that has in house IT, like a hospital. They'll have ass loads of old shit.

Source: I work in it at a hospital, and I have at least one km of black shit cat5 that comes with our voip phones. Plus all kinds of old power cables for bio med machines. Every medical medicine had its own proprietary power cable, data cable, video cable.
>>
>>954910
OP I have a whole spool of coax cable I cannot GIVE away. [I found it in the street musta fallen off a cable truck] if you're in Florida, I'll give it to you for free [im not mailing a spool, unless you wanna pay for shipping]
>>
Getting plastic pipe instead of wire will be LOTS cheaper

What came to mind for me is irrigation drip line as the cheapest thing I could think of. It's a mass produced commodity, and still fits your aesthetic requirements, more or less. I don't know what sizes they sell in metric countries, but in the us is 1/8 1/4 1/2", so the closest is about 1/2" at about 13mm.
https://www.dripdepot.com/item/polyethylene-tubing-size-half-inch-length-1000-feet?gdftrk=gdfV29213_a_7c2873_a_7c11136_a_7c5897&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Structured&utm_term=1100308814594&utm_content=Drip_Irrigation
>>
>>954910
>wants to purposely make a kilometer of ewaste
this is why nobody likes you fucking artist wannabe faggot.
How do you justify using a damn kilometer of this shit for "art". honestly you're worse than those feminists that paint with menstrual blood.
>>
>>955032
>I have at least one km of black shit cat5
Not the art fag here, you looking to get rid of that shit cat 5 cable?
I can actually get some use out of that shit.
>>
>>955070
Sorry man, not gonna ship a pallet of cat5 when my recycler picks it up for beans. Check out local hospitals and shit. Call the switch board and ask for IT.
>>
>>955568
>ship
Id pick that shit up if you lived reasonably close, east coast us.

Can hospitals just give it away? should I expect some "blah blah blah contract with our recycler blah blah no can do" speech?
>>
I think it would be extremely funny if you exhibited it somewhere in Romania or East Germany.
>>
>>955568

Scrap yards will pay you for it.
>>
>>955582
why would you scrap perfectly good wire?
>>
>>955586
Because the price for pure copper is relatively worth it and you will get quick money.
Not so sure if they have much flexible wire though.
>>
>>955587
I see. still seems like a hell of a waste to me
>>
>>955594
To me it does aswell. But if you have large amounts that you can't sell easily or have any use for, then it is an option.
>>
>>955595
well there are several options.. you could also give it to the anon that is willing to come pick it up so that he can run ethernet to fucking everything, and breadboard for decades to come..
I think my option will lead to more enjoyment out of the material than dumping it somewhere for beer money.
>>
>>955574
Kansas.
We don't have a contract, but our recycler hooks us up since he's related to our network engineer, so ymmv.

>>955582
Nepotism runs wild in medical. See above about related recycler.
>>
>>956128
FUCK. I was gong to do so much shit with that wire. Well thanks anyway
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.