[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is my house going to die?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
File: IMG_20160301_141005927.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160301_141005927.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
Is my house going to die?
>>
File: 1456862597814361414386.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
1456862597814361414386.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
This is the wall directly over the jpist with two registers cut into it. Note the floorboards pulling away, and the door I had to hack up to get to close. Assumed the floor was warped because the heater and furnace were down there. Next time I won't use the inspector the realtor suggests.
>>
>>954842
Oh wow. Gonna have to cut that hvac shit off and sister some new joists to each side.
>>
>>954864
Really stupid thing is, other side of that vent is just an open area under a stairway. No one would have cared if the duct was five inches back. Which is what I'm planning on doing.

Do you really think I need to sister both sides? The joist is obviously not doing what it needs to be doing, but it's not cracked and honestly looks better than most of my joists.

I wanna fix this myself, but I want to do it right. Or as rightly as I can afford.
>>
Da fuck? HVAC guy must've been paid by the hour and trained by a spaghetti monster
>>
>>954871
Everything in my house is like that. Notice that romex? It was put in by the city for the wired smoke alarms. My electrical box is on the other side of that brick wall, could have just gone straight down the joist right to the box, but instead he went almost all the way around the perimeter of my basement and drilled through about eight joists.

My father-in-law is an electrician, and hopefully he's going to help rewire and upgrade our electrical. Electrical is much more messed up than the HVAC. I want to get all the lines out of the joists and run them in conduit. I don't know why, but having all these holes in my joists is really triggering my autism.
>>
>>954876
>Electrical is much more messed up than the HVAC
how is that even fucking possible
>>
File: IMG_20160301_135329178.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160301_135329178.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
>>954894
Okay, how about this.

This outlet appears to be hot.
>>
File: IMG_20160301_135431012.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160301_135431012.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>954895
But, it didn't work. Following back, it terminates with a plug... that also seems to be hot...

I switched the breaker, checked it with my meter, then ripped it down. Can't figure out where the electricity is coming from. Also, breaker box is labeled various things, garage, fridge, etc. All well and good, except the double breaker labled lights seems to be the only one that controls everything in the house. And the garage. Then there is evidence of knob and tube in the basement. Hopefully all removed, but the ancient NM wire is bad enough.
>>
>>954869
You could get away with one side but I'd do both if it was my house just for piece of mind.
>>954900
Watch out for asbestos if you find any more knob and tube.
>>
>>954900
stray coupling to a parallel wire?
>knob and tube
i laugh every time
>>
>>954842
Inanimate things can't die, idiot
>>
>>954911
Must have been just getting power from near by romex, which doesn't seem like it should be possible unless my wires are overloaded or something.

>>954908
I kinda figure everthing in this place has asbestos except the wires.
>>
>>954968
entirely possible, nothing to do with excessive current draw.
its pretty common for new led lamps to flash when turned off because the wire picks up enough stray fields to charge the power supply in the bulb enough to light the led for a fraction of a second
>>
>>954846
>Won't use the guy the realtor suggests
Fucking ditto, dude.
I'm currently trying to sell my house because it's just turned into a fucking money pit. I've only been here 3 years, and I've had to jackscrew up a sagging section of joists in the basement, have a sump pump installed, rewire and entire room because it blew a breaker if you turned on two lights at the same time, and there's mold on the ceiling of my garage, because they didn't put down any water barrier under the shingles.
The inspector said YEAH THIS HOUSE IS GREAT.
Never trust 'the guy who knows a guy.'
>>
>>954974
Neighbor had a CB antenna, one night at 1 AM hear people whispering in my room. Somehow the signal was coming through my computer speakers.
>>
>>954981
It's because the coils for the speakers were un-shielded. Same thing as GSM buzz
>>
>>954991
That's what I figured. But my first assumption was scary ghosts.
>>
>>954981
>This device must not cause harmful interference
have the fcc kill the ham
>>
>>955000
>this device must accept any interference

Fucking feds, hacking my toaster.
>>
>>955003
atleast they didnt put the radios in your teeth
>>
>>954981
>Neighbor had a CB antenna, one night at 1 AM hear people whispering in my room. Somehow the signal was coming through my computer speakers.

Back in the 90's when I was into cb I'd wreck my neighbors tv reception and cordless phones with a 150w amp.

Had a buddy who ran 1000w amp in his car. He could light up a fluorescent tube walking around his car with the mic keyed.

> Fuck da police
>>
>>954846
The floor boards didn't pull away. Floor boards aren't suppose to butt up tight to the wall. The baseboard was changed and is thinner than what used to be there. Either add quarter round trim, or make new baseboards from 1" boards. My floors are the same way. I switched to 1" thick so I could do away with quarter round.
>>
>>955323

I think he means the floor is sagging there actually, which appears to be the case. Did you put a level on it?
>>
>>954981
This shit is the creepiest damn thing ever.
>Speakers turned off. Reading a textbook, and fucking bullshit coming through them.
>>
>>955330
I did not. But you can clearly see a dip next to the wall, and a bulge in the middle of the closet floor.

You can see where the floorboards are separating from eachother.

I've removed the ducts up to the joists, but I'm not really sure what the best way to remove them. Anyone have any advice? You'd think Google would have something about how to disconnect s clips, but so far I'm just tugging on them, but I don't want to accidentally pull the duct off at the second story or something.
>>
We're all going to die someday.
>>
>>954842
Worthless inspectors (which are most all of them) should be caned Singapore-style.

Bad contractors should be hunted down and killed in front of their own children.
>>
>>954842
put a post under the side with the white wire and jack it up and you will be fine.
as for the hole with the wire, you are a fool to be worried about that. that could be a 1.4 inch hole and it would be fine as long as its in the midddle and near a support
>>
File: IMG_20160303_150615124.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160303_150615124.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
What kind of wood should I use for the sisters? Preasure treated? What species? Some of the near by joists are rotting on the sill, and I'm planning on putting a sister on them as well.

>>955859
I may be a fool, but I'm planning on semi-finishing this half of the basement. I'd like to paint the joists when I'm done, and run all the wire in conduit just so it looks a lot neater. I know it's not worth the effort, but like we agreed, I'm a fool.

There are a couple of cracked joists further down where the electrician drilled a hole just like this. He even drilled the next joist he didn't even run through. Asshole could have just run straight to the box though.
>>
>>955867
I still need to take the plasterboard off the inside of the closet to remove the vents.

I hope the column doesn't slip... Good thing is it's right next to the gas line for the water heater, so if it slips I'll likely die in the explosion before I can be embarrassed by y wall caving in.
>>
>>955867
>Preasure treated?
I don't think so, not indoors.
>I'd like to paint the joists when I'm done
mine were painted in my basement when I bought my (old old) house. the paint is all peeling away now. not a 'problem' but can be messy with paint chips falling all over the floor. sometimes I just go at it with a wire brush or even an old broom just to knock all the loose paint peels off. by the next year there is more to knock off. I guess, eventually, all of it will have come loose. probably because whoever painted it used the wrong type of paint or didn't properly prep the surface or ?
point is you might be setting yourself up for an annoyance down the road by painting the joists.
>>
>>956108
That's normally because of the type of paint used.

It is better to just stain wood than paint it. However, I don't recommend painting/staining wood that is in a roof, floor, or wall. These need to breath and be moisture permeable. The reason for this is to get rid of moisture. Even painted/stained woods take on moisture from the environment either directly from spills, floods, roof leak, or high humidity. However, it takes them forever to get rid of the moisture. They end up rotting where unpainted/unstained lumber would simply have dried out instead.
>>
>>955867

Heh. In every house I buy, I tear out all the leftover/unused wires along the joists and clean up exposed wiring. I'm a fool too, but man, it makes things look & feel better.

Wouldn't paint the joists though. That just makes it one more thing to maintain. Clean up the wiring & ductwork, scrub the wood, and leave it open.
>>
>>954842
dat galvanized bushing used for gas :(
>>
>>956265
Nothing really wrong with galvanized with gas. Many areas allow it. Worst case a bit of zinc flakes off inside after years.
>>
>>955867
if you leave the support post there, its legal to keep it the way it is
>>
>>956271
Gas mechanic reporting in.
In Germany we have galvanized pipes in every installation made before 2000. After that they started to use copper more and more.
>>
talking about houses...
why american homes have such a fragile walls? they are made only of wood? its easier/cheaper build big houses in this way?
>>
>>954842
you're good op
at least half of it's there
we always use double what is required for just this reason. just don't go full retard like pic related
>>
File: BM17.jpg (9 KB, 356x337) Image search: [Google]
BM17.jpg
9 KB, 356x337
if you really want to you can reinforce it
>>
>>956421
whats this called
>>
>>956378
Why the fuck do Canadians use snow to build theirs?
Why the fuck do people in the tropics build theirs with fucking leaves and rattan?
Why the fuck do dumbasses like you who come from countries with tiny forests say this same fucking shit over and over?
>>
>>956378
Never seen a log cabin style house eh?>>954842
>>954842
>>
>>954846
You should rent a floor sander and refinish that hardwood floor son.
>>
>>956378
Do you build yours from unobtanium to withstand nuclear blasts? Are you from outerspace?
>>
>>954842
I'd just put on a sister board if it can clear the hvac.

If you can't the you can probably convert to a floor register f your location allows that.
>>
>>955346
I was practicing my guitar one night and I thought I heard voices, stopped for a listen and it sounded like it was coming from the amp. I heard something about the devil and started freaking out until I turned up the amp and got a better listen. I was picking up some fire & brimstone preacher on AM radio.
>>
>>954842
Explain like I'm five, please?

I understand from the posts that there's something wrong with the galvanized ducts (or something) and that these are used for forced air, but what is the crisis about?
>>
>>957296
Go ask R3dd1t.
>>
>>954876
Romex through joist is common. There's an equation in the code about how many wires at what gauge you can fit through a single hole depending on the size. I believe it's roughly 5 14-2 through a 3/4 inch hole for example, but don't quote me on specifics. I haven't done this stuff in years.
>>
>>957304
Hey I have a question, why do you suck so much dick? Is it because your daddy told you that's how to keep the milk from going sour?

> Implying ELI5 is not a useful term outside ribbit.
>>
>>954842
I install HVAC and furnaces for a living. That is highly illegal in Canada, I'm not sure down in the states, but that would not pass an inspection whatsoever up here.
>>
>>954975

It's not always the case.

My home inspector (realtor recommended) was a retired engineer from Raytheon. He just inspected homes because it gave him something to do.
>>
>>957913
its not legal in the usa either
>>
>>957938
Raytheon, the company behind 9/11, Raytheon? That sent all their WTC based NYC employees on a field trip 9/11? Who had money in Enron, Halliburton and GWB's campaign? That Raytheon? That worked intensively on remote controlling Boeing 7xx and Airbus airplanes using only standing tech? Who published a report in 1998 on the risk and viability of this to PREVENT terrorist attack?

Are we discussing the same Satan, or am I way off here?
>>
>>957913
>>958123
What the fuck is the deal? Is this a fucking circlejerk thread for air condition repairmen, or will some of you at some point volunteer enough information to let me assume something other than "that looks weird"?
>>
>>958125
If you bother to look at the picture, joists have had large pieces cut out and the floor above is at best supported by the duct, while in another picture a joist had been cut entirely. The galvanized nipple is a slight issue or not depending on who you ask or where you live.
>>
>>958124

Relax, autist. I believe he told me he
was a materials engineer. He also worked for 3M. Cool guy, very smart and very realistic. No matter how much any of us know, or claim to, it never hurts to have a pair of separate eyes on the same thing.
>>
>>956847
You can't jump rent a floor sander. I fyou don't have experience you won't know how to use it. You'd also have to rent a buffer, an edger, and a palm sander end get some scrapes.

>>955323
Floors run up under the baseboard. They shouldn't be tight against the drywall though yes.
>>
>>960062
Jesus, I shouldn't post so late at night. I can't type for shit.
>>
>>957281
can confirm
i made a headphone amplifier and got mexican radio
>>
>>956378
because it is disposable. tear down and rebuild after one generation.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.