[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I came up with a new motorbike helmet concept that utilizes panels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 1451424882176.png (20 KB, 1209x865) Image search: [Google]
1451424882176.png
20 KB, 1209x865
I came up with a new motorbike helmet concept that utilizes panels with large springs under them which deploy when triggered by hitting the ground, thereby increasing the impulse of the collision between head and ground/object.

Benefits are a much thinner and lighter helmet with more protection.

Rate my idea.
>>
>>954073
triggered when it hits the ground would be too late.
>>
>>954077
The triggers would be poking out of the helmet like darth mauls spikes on his head

Kind regards, brilliant inventor who ran out of space on the pic.
>>
This is both retarded and brilliant at the same time
>>
>>954073
>can't into physics
it would make your head bounce increasing the likelihood of injury to your neck
>>
>>954095
can you even into suspension my friend
>>
>>954096
so a shock absorber on every panel? sounds like that would kind of eliminate the whole
>thinner and lighter
deal
>>
>increasing the impulse of the collision
uhh
>>
>>954115
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_%28physics%29

Longer time expressing force = less broken head
>>
behead
>>
>>954073
maybe i am wrong in this but isn't the shape of the helmets (nothing protruding) the way they are so that you can slide out your momentum incase of a crash without it getting stuck and potentially tearing your head off?
>>
>>954143
That's a good idea
>>
>>954073
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
>>
>>954073
Kinda like the speed flex football helmet?

It is not a very good idea, it works on a football helmet because they have made certain hits illegal and know that the majority of the blows are going to be where they added the panel.

In a wreck on a bike or motorcycle, you have no clue where you are going to impact the ground.
>>
>>954161
This
>>
Inb4 OP gets sued for 18 trillion dollars
>>
Pardon me for thinking in this way, but if you have a force in one direction and gravity, unless the trigger points or whatever you want to call them, are further away from the surface after the springs are deployed, you're increasing the impact potential.

So by design, if the fucker isn't dead already, he's gonna have a killer case of whiplash and concussion.

Don't fix what isn't broken, OP.
>>
This sounds a lot like the airbag helmet idea that already exists. It deploys a helmet shaped air bag from a collar when a crash is somehow detected. Why not use airbags instead of panels? Besides the whole may get caught on something factor that was mentioned.
>>
This is a horrible idea. The foam works great because it's simple, and will only fail due to improper care.

Your idea is flawed, for it to be practical it has to have small "dampeners" but having them small, kinda negates their purpose.

Not to mention the distribution of force on your design would be very poor, and likely involve the head of the rider. Unlike the traditional foam, which not only absorbes the energy over a large area, distributes the force through the helmet and around the head

Tldr/ your design is stupid, impractical and flawed
>>
>>954073
>thereby increasing the impulse of the collision between head and ground/object.
>more protection.

ayy lmao
>>
>>954203
this
the springs will only be helpful if they are fully extended before the head touches them, which seems impractical with mechanical springs
just use airbags
>>
motorbike helmet only works at around 20-30 mph
above this the only reason you wear a helmet is so they can identify your corpse
>>
>>954073
someone beat you too it
http://vicis.co/
they use a type of gel/polymer that can contort/crunch on impact to a certain degree which it then becomes rigid, they claim it slows acceleration
springs would fuck you up bc of oscillation movements-your helmet would "maintain" movement rather than dissipate it
>>
Now we just need a spring loaded suit for when us bikers get run over, which is the real issue.
>>
>>955354
there's also d3o and the guardian cap
>>
>>955355
Springtrap is that you?
>>
>>955352
The slow bike penetrates the shield.
>>
>>954078
SOOO : if the triggers are sticking out of the helmet all the time to "sense" an impact coming . . .
WHY not just have the springs deployed ALL the time - Like OUT all the time.

No need for the sensor spikes at all.
>>
>>955607
They have something very similar to this idea on the market that works really well.
>>
>>954073
why not use reactive armour plates like on a tank?
the explosive would be triggered right before hitting the ground (maybe exposed poke sensors)?
>>
>>955643
because that would break your neck
>>
>>955643
>why not use reactive armour plates like on a tank?
>the explosive would be triggered right before hitting the ground (maybe exposed poke sensors)?

Because that's the exact opposite of what you want. We're not trying to break up incoming projectiles to decrease their penetration. In this case the projectile is your head and we are trying to absorb impact force, penetration protection is not the primary purpose of a motorcycle helmet.

What I think your imagining is using the explosive charges like retro-rockets to decelerate your head. Unfortunately explosives are going to dump their energy into your skill even faster than impacting the ground.
>>
>>955352
I bet you also think vaccines cause autism and aluminum cookware gives you Alzheimer's.
>>
>>955644
>>955647
Then use implosives instead of explosives. Duh.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.