[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
adhesive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9
File: 1505829729177230251.jpg (205 KB, 970x560) Image search: [Google]
1505829729177230251.jpg
205 KB, 970x560
What is the strongest known adhesive?
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 600x335) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 600x335
>>953044
>>
File: 1456508258483.jpg (185 KB, 1201x804) Image search: [Google]
1456508258483.jpg
185 KB, 1201x804
>>
>>953055
that stuff is crap
>>
>>953036
barnacles?
>>
>>953036
solvent welding > any adhesive
>>
>>953055
Actual garbage. I have appreciation for the metal loaded JB weld and have accomplished a whole lot of dumb shit with is, but this stuff is horrible. I meticulously prepped a simple plastic surface to attach a lead acid battery to and it peeled off like Elmer's glue. Never again
>>
>>953036
The question isn't really answerable. Adhesive strength depends on correctly matching the surface material to the adhesive that's designed to bond with that material. What's strongest will depend on what you are adhesificating..
>>
>>953077
Is there a way to solvent-weld HDPE or is it pretty much just hot air only?
>>
On wood it's Titebond III.

I don't give a shit about metal or plastic.
>>
>>953123

As far as I'm aware, no. Not sure whether it's because nobody's found a workable solvent for HDPE (wouldn't surprise me; polyolefins are generally fairly chemical resistant), or the necessary solvent is horrendously toxic.

Either way, the only way I've really ever seen HDPE welded is with heat.
>>
>>953120
for plastics, it's plastic welding stuff

for wood, anything that works on metals will work on wood.
>>
>>953107
Epoxy is notoriously bad on plastics in general

For plastics you just use CA
>>
>>953126
definitely titebond

sadly, people still get sucked into gorilla glue and the other expanding junk....penetrate, my foot...all it does is foam out and is not nearly as good as regular glue

shoot, even plain old school glue works fine as long as it's clamped properly
>>
>>953036
what is it for? araldite is stronk but turn to goo at 60C.
there is no single epoxy for every job. just take a look at 3M's catalogs of adhesives.
>>
>>953144
araldite is the European version of JB weld, both equally bad

the only test that matters for strength is bonding 2 pieces of metal together, at standard temperature but bonus points if it can handle anything else you throw at it
>>
>>953036
The shit holding this circuit board in Ive been trying to pull out for two days and dissolve with acetone.
>>
>>953150
please tell me how to get this adhesive stuff gone.
>>
>>953156
not as good as adhesives since they redistribute the load over a larger area
>>
>>953036
Thermite?
>>
The blood of your enemies
>>
>>953036
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fycGFGSeKpc
>>
A vacuum.
>>
>>953128
>As far as I'm aware, no. Not sure whether it's because nobody's found a workable solvent for HDPE (wouldn't surprise me; polyolefins are generally fairly chemical resistant),
toluene and xylene do pretty well eating through it. Acetone doesn't affect it.
http://www.plasticsintl.com/plastics_chemical_resistence_chart.html

If you google "chemical resistance chart HDPE" for example, you will find that there are various chemical resistance charts online telling you want chemicals will and won't eat through common materials.

toluene and xylene (and acetone) are all available at many paint stores in the USA.
Benzene dissolves HDPE too but I dunno how easy it is to obtain now (me=USAfag). The Sherwin-Williams store near me used to sell it a few years back. I haven't been in there or looked for it lately.

Anything worse than toluene I dunno if I want to play with... Toluene is great for cleaning grease and oil off metal parts, but it does bad stuff to your skin if you get any on you and don't wipe it off right away.
>>
>>953230
Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBwowRLN9e4
>>
>>953178
welding isn't as good as adhesives, bolts add more weight

there's a reason why they use adhesives now when making cars or airplanes, instead of using bolts or welding it

I want the strongest adhesive
>>
>>953300
>welding isn't as good as adhesives
all of my what
>>
>>953480
he's a retard, just ignore
>>
Methacrylate based adhesives are pretty fucking incredible
>>
>>953300
>there's a reason why they use adhesives now when making cars or airplanes

Yes, and that reason has nothing to do with bond strength. It has to do with fatigue.

Aircraft are primarily aluminum, which exhibits virtually no lower limit regarding the magnitude of a repeated stress required to weaken it significantly over time. This is obviously extremely bad for an aircraft, because you want to use as little of the lightest feasible material as you can. One of the ways this is dealt with in an aircraft is to use fasteners or adhesives in place of welds, which can distribute load better (and therefore lower relative stresses), even if they will generally yield before a weld would.

A welded body would be stronger initially, but be more prone to failure before bolts, rivets, and adhesive. Nothing to do with strength. A weld will ALWAYS be stronger than a glued joint unless your adhesive AND the bond it forms are both stronger than the material you're joining. It's exceedingly rare for that to be the case. I can't even think of a realistic scenario where this comes up, save for maybe some very well-prepared joints in wood.

As far as cars go, adhesive is cheaper than bolts. That's about the only reason. Not aware of any critical part (that is to say, any part that will either completely disable a car or otherwise severely hinder its functionality) that's typically joined with glue instead of a bolt.
>>
>>953231
>If you google "chemical resistance chart HDPE" for example, you will find that there are various chemical resistance charts online telling you want chemicals will and won't eat through common materials.

I know. I had to look up a few when trying to figure out if PMMA could safely handle constant contact with HCl.

As far as I'm aware, xylene and toluene both dissolve HDPE "quickly", but nowhere near the level of quick with which methylene chloride or MEK will dissolve acrylic (which is similar to sugar dissolving in water). No idea if you could still get it to work if you somehow rigged it up to slowly drip into your joint for a couple hours/days, but you need a really powerful solvent if you want to be able to effectively and quickly weld like you do with PVC/PMMA. Using a weaker solvent gives you issues with the solvent evaporating before it can liquefy the joint. It also has to not actually react with the material in any way, just dissolve it. Not much of a chemist, so I have no idea what kind of things HDPE reacts with.
>>
>>953501
You forgot to mention any hole in the skin of the plane is a possible weak point. adhesives help against this problem by not making holes in the skin
>>
File: L073100_APC_830x515.jpg (32 KB, 830x367) Image search: [Google]
L073100_APC_830x515.jpg
32 KB, 830x367
This is honestly the strongest wet application fix I've ever used.

OK. Maybe it doesn't have a general use but to fix in concrete you won't beat it.
>>
>>953230
A vacuum is not an adhesive purely on principle
>>
gravity :^)
>>
>>953501
a weld is only strong given a small amount of surface area to work on, if you design the piece for the purpose of bonding adhesives will outperform welding

the lotuse elise is made entirely out of adhesives and it's the only reason why it weights so little, the problem is that if you crash you can forget about getting it fixed in any regular old body shop

that's the main weakness of adhesives, it's not easy to work with and takes a lot more effort but if your goal is to save weight there's no substitute
>>
>>953573
>if you design the piece for the purpose of bonding adhesives will outperform welding

If you designed it for adhesion and then welded it, it would be far, far stronger than if you'd actually used glue.

A joint "designed for bonding adhesives" is nothing more than a joint with a high cross-sectional area. The same joint, somehow made into one solid piece (whether through welding or some hypothetical, straight-up magic) is going to be much, much stronger. That isn't to say you can't make it work if you design for it, because you obviously can and it's a commonplace thing. But the issue was whether a welded or glued joint is stronger, and, all other things being equal, the welded joint will always win here (ignoring, again, the odd case where the adhesive and its bond is stronger than the material being joined).

The problem with welding is that, unlike adhesive, you can't make a joint out of any two arbitrarily-sized mating faces of material. It's trivially easy to glue two 6x1" discs of aluminum together and have a solid joint throughout. That's outright impossible with any kind of welding other than friction welding, which is a very limited process. The welded piece would be almost indistinguishable from a solid piece and have mechanical properties to match, but that may simply be something you can't do at all depending on what you're trying to join and where it needs to be joined.

It's basically an apples/oranges comparison, because a weld will always be stronger for a given area of joint, but you can join a larger given area with adhesive.
>>
The strongest adhesive known to man is this weird white stuff that drips down my rectum. If you masturbate, spill your baby gravy, and put your undies on fast, your dick will dry to them. Then you practically rip your penis off trying to get it off
>>
File: 1440468353073.jpg (29 KB, 552x556) Image search: [Google]
1440468353073.jpg
29 KB, 552x556
>>953133
>Inb4 welding
>>
>>953582
welding weakens the metal (exotic metals at least) and presents problems with dissimilar metals being joined

it's the reason why bonding is preferred in airplanes or race cars, it's also taking over territory previously held in the regular car market

the only reason why welding is preferred is if you have a limited contact area or because it's cheap
>>
>>953582
>can join a much larger give area
That is so much wasted material.
why do
|---------------------|
.........|---------------------|
when you could do
|---------------------|
.....................|---------------------|
>>
>>953584
In during.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0k04hjdYuQ
>>
File: NaSTy Dude ALERT!!!.jpg (6 KB, 248x203) Image search: [Google]
NaSTy Dude ALERT!!!.jpg
6 KB, 248x203
>>953583
Ladies beware nasty FuKeR.
>>
>>953729
neat
>>
>>953637
>the only reason why welding is preferred is if you have a limited contact area or because it's cheap

For structures where heat might distort the material or be inappropriate for bonding composite structures, adhesive wins.

OTOH you aren't going to be gluing up high pressure piping, boilers and pressure vessels any time soon. Horses for courses.

Choose your bonding method based on your specific needs. As Musashi said, don't prefer one weapon over others.

>>953722
>That is so much wasted material.

Calling it "waste" if it accomplishes the design goals is silly. Many designs inherently have large areas suitable for adhesive bonding such as aircraft structures. A composite core with a mixture of metal and carbon fiber skin is an example.
>>
>What is the strongest known adhesive?
Love
>>
>>954953
literally autism, I bet you watch adhesive reviews religiously on youtube.

You could build a whole extra plane from the wasted materials used to glue together the first dozen.
>>
>>953036
is it marriage?
>>
>>954995
I watch light bulb reviews. it brings me such joy to hear people getting so excited about changing a light bulb.
>tfw I am blind
>>
>>953036
The strongest force in the universe is gravity, because you can split atoms all you want, we already have the technology to do it, but you cannot escape gravity
>>
>>955233
dumbest shit i read today
>>
>>953036
cum
>>
>>955240
even a 3yo knows its true, its not rocket science
>>
>>953036
I imagine its some kind of epoxy.
>>
>>955258
u r fukn idi0t
>>
>>955233
>adhesives
>force

The two are not the same thing. Gravity is a force.

An adhesive is not. It's a chemical compound with characteristics that would give some of those considered dense the impression it is applying a force to an object in the opposite direction of gravity.
>>
>>955268
can you give us a tldr?
>>
File: IMG_20150513_132152044_HDR.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150513_132152044_HDR.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
This stuff works good for veneer.
>>
>>953637
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>955233
>strongest
no. but good idea.

>>955268
how do you think adhesives work if not by manipulating the nuclear forces in atoms?
its all forces m8
>>
>>953231
Good luck killing your genetics with benzene. As a /diy/-er you should only use xylene if needed per se. MEK is fucking toxic as well. Xylene is well available, any hardware store sells it.

Acetone if outside or a very good fumehood. But from my acetone can be a damn mess.
>>
OP, honestly, it depends on whatever application it's meant for.

My favourite way to glue things together is still Epoxy. Well controllable until you add the second part.
>>
File: bondo.jpg (202 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
bondo.jpg
202 KB, 960x720
>>953036
Bondo
>>
>>953126
>titebond III
titebond original, hot hide glue, or nothing
>>
Not the strongest, but I frequently use WeldMount at work for attaching studs and wiring tie blocks.

Two part acrylic adhesive, small tube I put in to a small epoxy gun with mixing tips.

If anyone here is familliar with boat building, the stuff is basically plexus. If I screw up placing a tie block or if we need to remove one, the fiberglass or carbon fiber behind the block will rip off before the glue will fail. Good shit. A few different kinds for plastic, metal, etc.

As for strongest, the last place I worked used something called Crestomer. Came in 5 gallon buckets, pretty spendy, had to be catalyzed with MEKP.

We used it to glue the deck to the hull and all the other important bits, our boats had a top speed of about 50 knots using two 250HP |6 supercharged mercury outboards.

Extremely fucking strong.

Dries slightly flexible so it isn't brittle.
>>
>>956975
>by manipulating the nuclear forces in atoms

Actually by manipulating the electrical forces between valence electrons. The nuclei of glue and wood/metal/plastic molecules (atoms) don't get anywhere near close enough to influence each other.

So the strongest forces are electrical.
>>
>>953123
C H L O R O F O R M
>>
These threads are always interesting.

Can we get an adhesive cliff's notes chart? Granted there's a lot of information to cover but hitting basics of advantages, disadvantages, and maybe a touch of chemistry would be nice. I'm thinking CA, pl400, elmers, loctite thread, epoxy, hide, contact cement, and some others I'm missing.

There are enough options out there that when you're diving into new territory that it can be pretty easy to grab the wrong or an inferior glue.
>>
>>955233
not only are forces not adhesives, gravity is several orders of magnitude weaker than the strong nuclear force
>>
>>953036
Love.
>>
>>957199
Wait, really?
Where can you find chloroform-based plastic cement?
>>
>>953036
3 parts corn
3 parts mutfruit
3 parts tato
1 part purified water
>>
>>957027
>MEK is fucking toxic as well
That's why everyone's switched to MPK although it smells worse
>>
>>960461
I see what ya did there
>>
>>953036
ZapAGap. shit will glue your fingers together for the day...

Man I miss that stuff, I can't find it in stores anywhere.. and afraid if I bulk order it, it might actually have a shelf life, and most likely when I bulk order it, half its shelf life is already gone.
>>
>>953508
How does HY270 compare to RE500?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.