[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just cut down a big ass apple tree and would like to do something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: 20121216_132330_zps2a2adeda.jpg (187 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
20121216_132330_zps2a2adeda.jpg
187 KB, 1024x768
I just cut down a big ass apple tree and would like to do something with the wood. I already cut the logs up to about 4.5 long to make them manageable, so I don't have anything longer than that.
I could put a ripping chain on my chainsaw and try to make boards, but I've never done it before. Don't know how well that will turn out.
Looking for any ideas or advice. Do I have to cure the wood somehow?

Also, I have access to a woodworking shop. I rent it for storage while the owner is away in the winter. He said I coud use his tools, but I'm not a carpenter and don't know what half the stuff is.
Anyway, any ideas for a project would be great.
Pic taken from the internet
>>
This is pretty simple, I'm sure I could do it. But won't the wood crack when it dries?
>>
>>952740
Keep the off cuts for the bbq to smoke yer meat
>>
>>952745
This
>>
File: chopchop.jpg (124 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
chopchop.jpg
124 KB, 300x450
>>952740

this is not particularly inspired but good wood like that can make really nice serving platters when finished well.
>>
>>952762
Yeah that's pretty cool.
I was readin that a piece like that you should put it in the oven on low for like 24 hours to cure it so it doesn't crack.
I guess then I'd treat it with linseed oil?
>>
>>952740
>Just cut down
>do something with the wood

Leave it for about 2 years to dry out and then think about what you're going to do with it.
>>
>>952789
> Leave it for about 2 years to dry out and then think about what you're going to do with it.

Yup, I had to let my red oak dry out for over a year before I could cook with it.

Not sure how apple takes to woodworking. I haven't seen too many projects using apple. I do know that it's really good to smoke pork with.
>>
>>952792
Apple, and pear etc., are great for woodworking. They turn especially well.
>>
If you have a furnace glassblower around you I'm sure they would be interested in it before it gets dry. They use it for wooden glass blocks and paddles. They would probably pay for it.
>>
OP here
>>952812
Huh. I'm in Colorado so there's plenty of glassblowers (lots of bongs etc), and hardwoods aren't that common out here. Mostly cottonwood and pine, which is shit for fires.
>>952792
I imagine it would be great for woodworking. It's beautiful wood.

Guess I'll store it for a while and think about it. It's very arid here so it should probably cure within a year.
>>
>>952826
glassworkers look for fruit woods which are actually hard to find in large diameters. but if they dry out then it doesn't really work. they keep them waterlogged. you probably have torchworkers mostly and they probably wouldn't care.
>>
>>952826
If its got a nice smell to it, make a living shelf out of it, leave it unfinished to keep the smell in the room. You'll sand the hell out of the top to get a glass-smooth finish without using any chemicals to block the smell from naturally coming out. Vid related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMnWO49jajI
>>
>>952740
Chip them and use them in a smoker.

>>>/ck/
>>
>>952826
I read once that wood dries about an inch a year.

As far as cutting goes, I bet you could find someone with a resaw, or maybe a bandsaw sawmill. They're around. The right person would do it for a 6pack.

I'd cut all of it into planks. You could leave them all wany (get bark off at some point) and sticker them up to dry. Paint or wax the ends. You can always rip them with a straight edge and a circular saw.

You could cross-cut some of them (or all), but to make some of those little cutting boards you'd need a decent log. You could do it on the bias, I suppose...

>>952964
First time I've seen him. Nice vid work.
>>
>>952968
Jesus this. Dry that shit out and smoke something, preferably pork, with that delicious wood.
>>
>>952740
Was the tree sick?
>>
>>952740
Honestly dude, if you can cure it a little and you have the tools, make some random live edge shit with it. Search etsy for live wood. People pay outrageous amounts of money for what is basically having lots of sandpaper and basic bracket building.

If I ever get space for a decent woodshop, I'm going to make this stuff in my spare time.
>>
>>952745
This^2, apple wood goes great with pork.
>>
Read up on how to properly cure and store wood before you fuck all that wood up. Paint the end grain too.
>>
Apple wood was used for handsaw handles back in the day. Its really hard to come by now. Typically it was quarter sawn for handles. If you can make that happen, you could fetch good coin for it. Id venture to guess $20 a bf.
>>
>>952785
Beeswax would be better.
>>
File: KLL0295-2.jpg (261 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
KLL0295-2.jpg
261 KB, 1200x1200
kiln dry it, finish it, and make a leaning shelf with some bar stock or pipe or something like that as the leaning posts
>>
>>952741
Yes. So you have to dry it slowly.
>>
File: vertical sawmilling.jpg (1 MB, 2357x1230) Image search: [Google]
vertical sawmilling.jpg
1 MB, 2357x1230
vertical saw milling is your friend
all you need is a chain saw a few long bolts some nuts and some wood
this was a 40" red oak log
>>
>>953122
Of course not. An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.