[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joining 2x4's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: Wood.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
Wood.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Just started woodworking and I have 3 or 4 projects I am trying as a total beginner, and a few of them require 2x4 'frames'.

What is a good, sturdy way to join these as a beginner? I've been doing angled screws at the end with wood glue but it doesn't feel too sturdy.

I have a basic set of tools, nothing too specialized to woodworking - is there a better way to join these I could use with what I have, or am I looking at something like a Kreg Pocket Screw Jig?
>>
that frame is as crooked as your mothers dick
>>
don't join the idiots who got sucked into buying an overpriced piece of plastic, just so the company can sell you overpriced screws

either toenail it, or glue and screw
done properly, it will be plenty strong as long as it fits the use intended
>>
File: IMAG0588.jpg (3 MB, 5376x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0588.jpg
3 MB, 5376x3024
It would help if you were to post what it is you are trying to make and the task it will be used for.

You're a mug if you get conned into using that pocket hole shit. At best it's useful for applications where you're fixing in panels into cabinets and there is no load on it.

If I were to guess by looking at the castors you have set up I'd presume its some sort of trolley.

You're better off setting up something in a 'rail and style' pattern so the load is directly on the castors and spread over the wood grain, rather than relying on glue and screws alone in a butt joint.

Pocket holes would be weaker still.
>>
>>952724
Well I hope you don't plan on loading anything heavy on that frame you're building. That is going to be weak and janky. You want the load going down the 2". Basically flip those boards on their side and it will make screwing them together easier too.
>>
>>952724
If you must have your 2x4s flat as in the picture, I'd suggest half lap joints. You can do it with a circular saw, or with a panel saw, or panel saw and chisel if you have some experience/guts and the grain is running right. Better would be to turn them up on edge as anon said. You can use nails or screws (screws would be better).
>>
>>952808
Circular saw, hammer and chisel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvYjTEpw1BY
start @ 3:50, do it twice, once on each end of the half lap joint.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.