[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would it be safe to breathe air from an aquarium air pump? Not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: th.jpg (8 KB, 300x175) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
8 KB, 300x175
Would it be safe to breathe air from an aquarium air pump? Not under water or anything just sitting in a room and having a nose hose with it blowing air through the medical grade hose into your nose?
>>
>>952182
yeah. its just a rubber daibphram and a AC motor inside it anyway. Maybe clean it if it's been in a fisht tank for a while, but its not dangerous.
Why tho?
>>
>>952184
I can smell that sort of electric smell is that ozone? Its brand new. Btw thanks for the response. Im too embarassed to say why. It sounds crazy when i say it.
>>
Safe enough. You know how easy fish die?
They just don't have much CFM
>>
>>952189
Yeah we're definitely going to need a reason why now. Don't worry 4chan never judges.
>>
i clicked /diy/ by accident trying to click on /wsg/

OP you have to tell me now, because i'm not leaving till you splain.
>>
>>952189
No, it is just plastic smell and metal smell from the motor.

What are you doing with it? Too lazy to breath?
>>
>>952182
Its just paranoia. Im almost positive. I work in a government building. Im the only one in there at night. 15 minutes after the last person leaves every vent in the building makes a loud swooshing noise. So much air is being sucked in through the exit doors that when i leave to make rounds i can barely open the doors to walk out of the building. I believe the hvac system is sucking sewer gas out of the floor drains because a horrible smell begins to emanate and i have difficulty breathing. I also have terrible sinus infections. If i stand outside all night im fine but its cold because its winter.
>>
If you plan to use it as a replacment for medical epipment or something.
It might be a good idea to have air trap. Something lika a baloon that can be filled with air and maintain the pressure. just so you dont have the jittery effect of the pump, it provides a steady air flow.
>>
>>952212
thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>952211
Pretty spooky. So if you suddenly found you can't breathe you'd rip the filter off a fish tank and bust up the doors to get out? I feel like there's probably some kind of emergency scuba equipment small enough to fit in your pocket that would work better if that happened.
>>
>>952205
The fish don't directly breath it into their gills.It just moves the water around but they would be sensetive to the change in ph caused by a burning plastic.
>>
>>952212
Sounds like a DIY CPAP machine.
>>
>>952216
I have a 30 foot medical grade air tubing that fits perectly to the air pump and it fits snugly under the main door. It works quite well im just nervous about its effect on my lungs if one of the rubber bushings get to hot and melt.
>>
>>952218
Thats what i need. Cpap hoses may be a little to bit to fit in the space between the front door.
>>
>>952211
This used to happen in a shitti apartment i used to rent. The sewer would fire up some times and the bathroom would reek like death shit itself.
I would just cover up the sewer drains with wet rags and it would somewhat medigate it. I dont know how effectiv this would be in your case but i though you might find it usefull
>>
>>952219
I set the aquarium air pump outside. It works very well. Im just not convinced its safe. Thanks again for your responses.
>>
>>952219
Ah neat. I looked up the scuba air and it's crazy expensive so that probably wouldn't be an option any way.

>>952212
Seems like the best way to do it safely.
>>
>>952222
You can poor water down the drains and they accumulate in the elbow which prevents sewer gas from escaping but the air is so dry during winter that it dissipates quickly especially if someone isnt running the HVAc system correctly
>>
Nurse here. I can't give you a super scientific doctoral response, but this may not be a good idea. Continously using something to force air into your lungs could cause your respiratory muscles to weaken. But, I may be full of shit.
>>
>>952234
I use a CPAP machine for 8 hours every night. It flows a fuckton of air to keep my airway open when I'm sleeping. My respiratory muscles are fine, my throat relaxes a little too much when I sleep.
>>
>>952234
thanks for your response. I didnt think of that. It doesnt carry very much air. still, that could be a problem,
>>
>>952238
good point!!!!!
>>
>>952238
I was just giving an answer based on someone not having an issue like copd, fb, or sleep apnea.
>>
>>952182
Those coils used in the engine. Does anyone know if they have any special insulation fluid on them? To keep them from overheating? This could be a problem.
>>
>>952244
Understood and its appreciated.
>>
>>952182
I have a small carbon monoxide detector ill put in front of one of the other air ports that's not in use.

I appreciate all the help.
>>
These have small transformers in them. Transformers do have insulating fluid. I don't know how toxic it is.
>>
>>952211
The air handlers are being turned off after hours to save energy and the building goes negative.
Government buildings are almost all going to energy performance contracts, so the scheduling is rigid.
You're not in any real danger, an open window and a box fan would take care of your issue.
>The space sensors we install have an occupancy override for after hours employees, and it fires up the air handler and occupies all boxes in that area, but usually leaves the central plant turned off unless more than X areas are temp occupied.
>>
File: 2016-02-25 22.05.51.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-25 22.05.51.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>952258
>Transformers
>Insulating Fluid
>Look at all this leaking toxing fluid I'm gon' die fo' sho'
Guy pls...halp
>>
>>952267
it is a green building. They have these awards explaining its a green building. So that does make since.
>>
>>952211
Get a doorstop, prop one of the doors open.
>>
>>952273
Its cold. =(

Thanks for the help! you guys are awsome!
>>
Well now i need a thread detailing how to make a device that erases the memory of awful movies.
>>
>>952333
I only had that picture because i was posting in a thread on tv about cloverfield lane. I had no idea its the sequel to this.
>>
>>952211
Air handlers are on a schedule, like some other anons have stated.

My best guess is that the air handlers (which most likely have out door intakes) are shutting down, but the exhaust fans stay on constantly.

The air flow is now out of balance and the exhaust fans are pulling air out of the building making it hard for doors to fight the suction.

As for air being pulled in from sewer lines, could be. Here's the fix:

All drains have a trap, sort of a U shaped piece of pipe. (Look under your sink.. see it?) The purpose of these traps are to hold water which block fumes from escaping the sewer lines.

But here's the problem: after a while of non-use that water will dry up, allowing passage of air. So what do?

Grab a bucket, fill it with water and pout it down any and all drains you can. Hope this helps.
>>
>>952365
The building is mostly glass and surrounded by manuer and wood chips. I think its bringing in fumes from that as well. It could be in my head.
>>
>>952389
put a rock in a door. hope you dont get robbed
>>
File: uri_mh1456450630232.jpg (2 MB, 1215x2160) Image search: [Google]
uri_mh1456450630232.jpg
2 MB, 1215x2160
>>952365
Hi friend, it seems this vent behind the u vent might defeat the purpose of that water seal? In my rental home wouldn't The stink air just come outta there instead?!
>>
>>952421
Ah, that's a pretty little ingenious device called a "cheater vent".

Drains need a vent to allow the water to drain. When it's not possible to run a vent to the roof for whatever reason they put one of these bad boys in.

The way it works is there's a one-way seal in there that allows air to flow in but prevents air (and water, in case of a back-up) from escaping.

I have one in my kitchen sink, works like a charm.

Rest easy anon.
>>
>>952217
The bubbles do add a good deal of surface for gas exchange too.
>>
File: image.gif (145 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
145 KB, 300x375
Bad idea, unless you're only pumping the air a little bit down your nose/ using a mask I wouldn't recommend. Your nasal passages are your primary source for defending against bacteria be over all sickness in the air. If you bypass that a cold would be devastating if it just got a free ride to your lungs. Basically your nose is a filtering system keeps the bad stuff out of your lungs
>>
>>952447
What's the downside? Seems like that's always going to be better than running a vent all the way to the roof.
>>
>>953854
you still need a vent in the roof to let poo gas pressure escape
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.