[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY Pet Peeves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 11
File: 1456421877871.jpg (6 KB, 220x250) Image search: [Google]
1456421877871.jpg
6 KB, 220x250
>working on something
>fuck something up/injure myself
>say "ah fuck" or "fuckin cunt"
>get back to work
>annoyance begins to quickly subside
>female roommate pokes her head into the room
>tells me to "calm down"
>annoyance turns to genuine anger
>>
>>952152
Make sure you eat a good meal about 45mins to an hour before working on a project. It will stop stuff like that from bothering you in the first place.

Also, keep this shit in /b/.
>>
>buy around a dozen PVC elbows
>get home
>realize some asshole put the 1.25 inchers in the 1 inch box
>have to waste another hour going to Home Depot again
>>
>>952152
>go to work
>continue the project from the other day ~80% done
>the boss's wife is around (complete imbecile, that don't know shit about carpentry, but since its small business she thinks she has power over others)
>hey anon, you can't put this big screws in that chair
>why ?
>they look bad
>but they are not visible at all after we finish it
>look if you have other colors, these are bad, im telling my husband
>kk, tell him
>1/2 h later he storms in and proceed to call names on all of us for not listening to his wife
>but but but
>no buts, I change the screws
>next week I got less money in the paycheck, coz they covered the cost of the new "not so bad looking" screws from the employees

Sometimes I want to quit, but then I realize money/time spend at work ratio is pretty good ( 4500 a month for 30h week )
>>
>>952163
collect mercury from thermometers and slip little bits of it in her coffee when she isn't looking
>>
File: 222.gif (3 MB, 308x198) Image search: [Google]
222.gif
3 MB, 308x198
>>952163
So much this the client or clients wife talking endless about minial shit during a job makes me want to shove my head through dry wall
>>
>>952163
i'd pick a normal paying job with mental sain ness and respect over an above average paying job like that any day of the week.
>>
>>952152
>work building custodial / maintenance and renovation for a local company
>me and like one other guy responsible for whole apartment building
>two tenants move, timetorepainteverything.jpg
>crazy ass woman landowner tells us to repaint/re-carpet three apartments
>Gets mad that we're not cleaning everything like we work at the intel chip fab shop clean room
>Tells us to stop painting and clean, mopping everything and vacuuming all 7 floors every day
>"anon why aren't you working non stop with no breaks?"
>tell her it's because we finished all the cleaning for the day, and it's too late to start on paint, we leave in a half hour
>"but there's still dust"
>Tell her it's because of the construction and concrete work going on literally across the street
>Thinks we're not working
>tells us to work on apartments
>gets mad not clean
>endless cycle
>somehow the bitch comes to the conclusion that we're getting paid and doing nothing
>somehow gets the idea that the small company they've been working with for >20 years randomly decided to screw her over
>fires company to go with a corporate contract that cost 5 times more for same work
>company is now going under, since they lost biggest contract, thus me and 80 others get laid off
>tenants now leaving complex because place isn't nearly as clean as before

It was a nice job whilst it lasted.
All pretty lax work, unless something was flooding.
The normal cycle was
>clean one day
>do work the rest
>then work after basic cleaning next day if previous cleaning was done
untill the landowner lost here shit then it was
>work and nothing else
>work and nothing else
>work and nothing else
>"I FOUND A SPEC OF DUST ON THE SIDEWALK!!!!"
>clean and nothing else
>clean and nothing else
>clean and nothing else
>>
>>952152
>diying
>look for tool
>it's not where it belongs
>fuck
>fuckityfuckfuck
>who did it
>if you wanna use my shit, fine, but FUCKING PUT IT THE FUCK BACK WHEN YOU"RE FUCKING DONE WITH FUCKING IT YOU FUCKING FUCK
>go get more beer
>fucking roomates
>>
>>952168
Ingested mercury is practically harmless.

Try harvesting botulinum from old cans of green beans instead.
>>
>>952264
>tfw I only have myself to blame for misplaced things
>>
I come unhinged when im trying to remember several measurements before writing them down and my wife starts talking.
>>
>>952163
>>952223
if you were union or a big company this kind of shit doesnt happen and you make more money
>>
>>952223
>normal paying job
>expecting respect at all
>>
>make something truly awesome
>not happy with it because I'm a perfectionist
>>
>>952163
if you just want to be a jerk you can go to the labor board.
>>
>>952163
some black guys taught me this one
>hey anon, you can't put this big screws in that chair
>why ?
>they look bad
>I don't feel well, I'm going to see a doctor
>go home
>come back to work like nothing happened
>>
>>952341
And thats all anon will be,too.except for maybe unemployed.
>>
File: asdf.jpg (32 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
32 KB, 960x720
>>952152
>warm white/piss yellow lights.
I'd honestly prefer fluorescent, even with their shitty cri, over candle light colored lights.
Currently main issue is my carpet:
>lose smd's in carpet.
>constant static issues.
>carpet makes cleaning up painfully tedious. No longer can I just broom and mop for a clean floor; now, even after vacuuming it doesn't feel clean.
I miss having hardwood floors in my old apartment.
>>
>>952349
Are you lost?
>>
>>952349
Just get one of those plastic rugs used for office chairs your spreg.
>>
>>952353
No, why?
These are things that annoy me. Not all of /diy/ has the luxury of working in a garage or shop, and not all petpeeves are peer/boss related.
>>
>>952345
collects unemployment. they really cant deduct screws from your check in any kind of legal employment situation
>>
>>952385
Collects 60% pay for 6 months while wondering why the labor board didnt care about illegal deductions.point being the labor board isnt much of an advocate except in the most egregious situations.
>>
>>952152
Fellow irish man detected
>>
>>952331
This
>>
>>952339
>try to make it better
>make it worse
>relise original design was better
>>
>>952163
I know those feels

>be trimming a house as a side job.
>finish my work
>present my final invoice to contractors wife cause she handles the money
> hey anon why are x and y charges here ?
> because I shouldn't have to scrape grout off all the walls on the main level to put baseboard on(there's a reason I wanted in before the tile guys)And I shouldn't have to case several sliding patio doors twice because your retard husband couldn't foam them when he installed them and then preceded to let the drywallers do their thing before ripping my shit off the walls and foaming them.

I knew shit was fucked when the subfloor in a hallway was 1.5 inch out of level on a width of 40 inches. And when the painter bailed halfway through.

TFW they actually paid me what I asked. And I charge by the each piece. Which ends up more lucrative than a going off square footage.

I decline any work this guy wants to throw my way now. The money would be nice but I wanna deal with people who know what the hell is going on.
>>
>scrap self on nail sticking out of wall
>just lone, isolated nail, not holding anything together

I swear, these things are some form of organism that just sprouts in random places. Then I have to waste time getting peroxide.
>>
>get called to do x job
>do x job that I was told to do over the phone
>after I'm done get the "while you're here throw in this since it will only take you x minutes and..."
No, fuck this so much. When you go to a fucking dentist to get your teeth cleaned do you ask him "while your cleaning can you root canal this and get rid of this cavity?
>>
>>952342
i am loving this
>>
>finally stop procrastinating after a long time and begin work on your project
>make some good progress
>realize you're missing one fucking part
>no one in town has it for a reasonable price
>order it and wait for it in the mail
>lose all your momentum
>repeat
>>
>>952163
I don't know where you are, but here in Ontario, Canada, you aren't allowed to take wages from employees for fuckups, legit or otherwise.
>>
>>952152
Yeah, I have to make sure not to say cunt at work
>>
>>953969
>try to do electronics project
>suck at electronics
>have to make several trips to the electronics store
>closes at 5:00 weekdays, so can only go weekends
>hour bus ride there, hour bus ride home
>two and a half hours to get anything
>discover I still don't have what I need
>have to go back next weekend
fuck I need a car
>>
>>953987

What the hell, are you living in the past? Just order shit online like any sane person would.
>>
>>953987
> make parts list
> go to electronic dealer
> order enough parts for duck ups by phone
> pick up in one trip
>>
>>954000
But that takes a week anyways

And if I'm not home to get the shipment, the shipping company places are all as far away as the electronics store, leaving me just as poorly off.

And I suck at ordering electronic components online because there's too much selection.
>>
>>954069
Sounds like you need a life improvement in generaL.

STOP SUCKING AND START FUCKING SON
>>
>>952152
>Family member asks me to do some free welding
>Tells them what to buy for consumables
>tells them if they prep surface to bare metal, I will weld
>doesn't buy consumables until I get there
>gets trailer to bare metal, but only leaves me 1/8" to weld 1/2" re-bar to. Trailer has 5 layers of paint.
>Doesn't prep rebar
>tell them it won't work well and be a massive pain in the ass
>"it's my trailer, you'll do what I tell you to, on what I tell you to"
>gets mad when welds look like shit

Remember, even with family you cannot catch a break with shitwork.
If you want it done right...
>>
>>954289
>you'll do what I tell you on what I tell you
that's the point you should've packed your shit and gone home. I don't care if he was your father, no one should put up with shit like that, at least not for free
>>
>>954324

>that's the point you should've packed your shit and gone home. I don't care if he was your father, no one should put up with shit like that, at least not for free

Pretty much this.

My only 2 DIY pet peeves are:

>Running across some one else's shitty repair
>the fact that I have no real workshop and no space to build one so everything takes for-fucking-ever
>>
>>952276
>Ingested mercury is practically harmless.

That is the not-truest thing I've ever read. I bet you have a mercury filling and your dentist told you it was nothing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K33zULkvvj4
>>
>>954331
Me too.
Especially on the space part.

I'm known as pretty handy and make a lot of my own stuff and my biggest pet peeve is when family members ask me if I can make something. They tell me what they want and I literally stand there and write up a list of what I need to make it, hand it to them, and say "get the stuff and I'll do it". Then for two months every time I see them I hear, "when you gonna make that shelf/frame/closet whatever". WHEN YOU BUY THAT SHIT ON THAT VERY CLEAR LIST I MADE YOU DAMMIT!
>>
>>952152
Reading that made me mad
>>
>>952331
The worst part is that she never, ever understands when I try to say "I can't talk right now, I'm in the middle of something" and I'm not actively operating a power tool.
>>
>>952331

Kek.

This happens to me too. Though while I am walking back to the list I am usually reciting 3-5 measurements in my head. Wife starts talking to me about a list of other things I have to do this very instant while I am in the middle of this one and it makes no sense to stop so I start reciting them aloud. Then louder and louder until she stops talking to me.

While she knows damn well that I am not taking her on she still tries to interrupt me and every couple of weeks she will push to the point where I am literally raging measurements directly at her, veins popping out all over the place.

She then decides to call me an asshole for not listening to the laundry list of things that she wants me to spin around like a top jumping between everything. She goes and sits on her phone "working" while I bust my ass all day long and then complains to me about how she is the only one who does dishes and laundry.

In fact I am sitting at my real job right now not doing shit because I feel so burnt out because I have been full throttle for the last 3 weeks and the only time I get to relax is when she goes to bed at 9:30-10:00
>>
Wife asks me to get a branch off are roof. First day off in 3 weeks. Get my 30 foot ladder climb on roof throw branch off. Look around for anything else that needs done decided to clean gutters, why no I here. Climb down get trash bag, climb back up after putting caution cones around ladder, because neighbors are dumb asses. Up their for about 10 mins and next door neighbor kids come running out side and start rocking my ladder with me on it. Start yelling. Kids don't care. I fall on there dads new bmw. Shattered my hip and 4 ribs. Says he's going to sue. My ass he is I have a security camera that recorded the whole thing. Have wife and layer show parents video. Doesn't bat a eyelash. Show him video of his kids putting legos up a neighborhood cats butt. Neighbor pays for a fence, I show video to aspca. Spending down time here on 4chan. Things just workout ssometimes in unexpected ways.
>>
>>953029
Good job anon
>>
>>954384
Ha! I do this too, just repeating numbers louder as she talks! Thought I was the only asshole out there, good to know I have a brother! I used to look at her with derision, but that stopped working...
>>
>>954394
Christ I hope this isn't true.
>>
File: 1397372534569.gif (2 MB, 220x160) Image search: [Google]
1397372534569.gif
2 MB, 220x160
>using the base woodshop
>need the staff guy to help me out for a minute
>he's busy talking to some cunt
>she's basically showing him shit she found on pinterest
>"you think you'd be able to make something like thissss?"
>"sure, we'd just have to [whole process of making thing from start to finish]"
>"oh neeeeat..."
>goes to next pinterest thing
>"what about thisssss?"
>etc.

another time
>using base woodshop
>working on my project
>some cunt walks in to flap her cunt lips and check out what they're making
>I don't even notice she came in
>see her eventually but keep working
>later the staff comes up to me to give me shit for running the machines while cunt wasn't wearing ear protection
>A) it was quite possibly the quietest machine in there (jointer)
>B) she should have used common sense, read the fucking rules and put ear protection on when she came in
>C) the shop is charging me $2.50/hour to use it and they count 1.00000001 hours as 2 hours and they expect me to stop working because Cunty McFuck wants to waltz in and flirt with some fat married men for 15 minutes
>>
>>954324
I welded anyway because I decided a shitty weld is a bigger bitch do deal with, because if they want it to look good or re-weld it they have to go to the trouble of cutting it off/grinding it down before they paint the thing otherwise it will look like shit or rust like crazy.
Especially since some of the welds are in places where you can't fit a grinder.

>>Running across some one else's shitty repair
It seems >>954331 knows what I mean.

Trying to fix shitty welds without the right equipment will be a bigger bitch.
I consider it payback for disrespect.
>>
>>954402
I would take a slefie but I can't pick up my phone
>>
>>952163
>but since it's a small business she thinks
She doesn't think shit, she knows.

She does have power over you because you aren't the fucking owner, you are the peon making chairs for the owner. Until you become the aforementioned owner, you shut your fucking mouth and do whatever the fuck you're told.

>>952203
>minial
Minial? They're paying your boss thousands of dollars for a task. Thousands that they worked hard for. It's only "minial" to you because you're a fucking pleb that has never spent the money on something.

This is further shown through the fact that you can't even spell the word, MENIAL.

I swear, you fucking worker drones are the worst.
>>
>>954419
And this, boys and girls, is how companies fall.
Because half retarded management somehow think that a worker has no experience in anything and is just a dog that is to do as it's told.

This happens when you're an engineer too.

My pet peeve is wankers like this guy.
>>
>>952163
>boss leaves me with minimal materials and screws too short for drawer handles
>I call him up and tell him they barely fit
>he tells me to just counter sink them.
>uhhhok OK if you say so
>like a thread and a half make it into the handles
>they're tight...for now
>week and a half later customer calls saying the handles are falling off
>boss asks why did I put them on if too small?
>docks me the time I spent on them because he's "not paying you (me) to make mistakes!
>>
File: 1392852219008.jpg (13 KB, 286x280) Image search: [Google]
1392852219008.jpg
13 KB, 286x280
>being in full shitfuck welding gear, glasses, earpro, mask, sleeves, respirator, bib, gloves and all that shit
>going hard on a job
>someone coming over just to have a chat
>>
>>953432
This is the main thing in renos. I learned to nip it in the bud.

" I was thinking of also doing this this and this. Can you do that?"

"Ya but it'll get a bit costly"

O-oh.,.never mind then"
>>
>>954423
>how companies fail
Sounds like the companies are doing just fine, including mine.

The PROBLEM is that the dipshits that get hired to do the tasks fail to understand that the owners usually did the tasks themselves for many years before they expanded to the point of needing your worthless ass. We know more about the tasks than you ever will and we care more about them more than you ever will because in the end the one that looks bad is us, not your halfwit ass.

Once you can pull your head out of your ass long enough to get over yourself and understand that we know what we're doing and that our experience is what has put us in the position you might be able to comprehend some of our decisions. You get paid to do a job, not to question your fucking boss. Do it and shut the fuck up.

If you think you're such hot shit then open up for yourself. You won't because you're a pussy and a failure.
>>
>>954289
>Remember, even with family you cannot catch a break with shitwork.If you want it done right...

Only work I do is for the moms. The only thing ill half ass is mowing. She's a bit of a bird/garden nut. So her lawn is basically a minefield of those shity minature plastic fences on one side of a decorative plant. I'll mow a circle around em. After a few weeks the plant will start to be overtaken by grass. She go out and trim it with garden clippers. Honestly though it does guarantee shell get outside and move around. Granted she's 50 nowhere near dead yet but she's so much of a clutz its a hazard to her well being.
>>
>>954446
>ooh lookit me I'm angry and everyone who's not a business owner is worthless
>>
File: 1444788224113.jpg (44 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
1444788224113.jpg
44 KB, 500x395
>>954446
Did you even read the greentext you assmad piece of shit
>>
>>954446
>talking in second person to someone you don't know
>assuming they don't actually run a company quite successfully

>implying that complaining about something stupid the boss wants is equivalent to having one's head up their ass
>implying getting paid takes away your ability to question or complain about your boss
>implying that being a business owner makes you smarter than the people you pay to do work for you about their work.
>implying there isn't a reason using the original screws was a better idea
Do you happen to do business in the HVAC trade?

When my employees have a concern about something or question my judgement, I would want them to speak up, since I may be in error, because there has never been a human who hasn't made at least one mistake.
I consider their input and then if I maintain my choice, I explain to them why I believe it is the better one, thus they learn my preferences for work..

You sound like a small business owner who fucked up massively because they didn't listen to an employee who was right, and is now butthurt and blaming workers for this.
>inb4 is not and all workers are supid
>>
>>954447
I agree with that.

Though my inner autist must respond as I cannot tell what you meant:
I'm not sure if you were referring to my post when you say "the only thing i'll half ass" or just segueing to your pet peeve.
The last line of that post was referring to the prep work which I told said member to do.

and for the record
Let's just say they got the welds they deserved, and we haven't talked for a month.
>>
>>954428
Weld them.
>>
>>954446
Did you even read the bit where it was the owner's clueless wife giving orders?
>>
i got one guys
>tiling
>adhesive everywhere
>fatigue sets in
>get careless
>woolly socks covered in tile adhesive
>drag it all over the house
>>
I hate when people ask me to look at something, then back seat drive as I work. It's usually some sort of troubleshooting thing and it slowly turns into them telling me what they think I should do even though they were the one that asked for my help. If you want to back seat drive a project like that just do it yourself. What's the point of asking for my help if you're such an expert?
>>
>>954466
Clueless or not, she's the owner. He's lucky he didn't get shitcanned.

My wife asks my installers to do something and they refuse to then say, "go ahead and tell him," they're going to be out the fucking door before the day ends.

If you think she's wrong you say "ok" then ask the husband. You don't answer back like an entitled piece of shit.
>>
>>954504
I know you're kind of asshole, you're the type of guy I walk off the job because of
>>
>>954504
This is the the way of thinking that ruins it for everybody.

On the other hand you're giving your installers an opportunity to find work at an actually worthwhile employer so there's that.
>>
>>954504
It's general practice that when you're told to do something at work, you confirm or make someone else confirm with the person who told you. That way they don't come back and say "well that's not what I told you to do".

>you don't get to question the boss he's always right
>but I'm sure said hard-ass will be a-ok if I just stop everything I'm doing instead of telling someone else who is not doing any real work to ask them for me so I don't have to stop.
>>
>>954394
Are you joking that's it? don't let that shit go. Sue the pants of that asshole and take his precious BMW
>>
>>954428
This shit. Right here.

Have to take off my work gloves, respirator, eyewear, helmet flashlight, then turn everything off just because "hey can you do this and this other thing that takes ten seconds and requires you to spend even more time cleaning up first?"

FFFFFUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK
>>
>>954446
I once worked on a job with a guy like you.
>guy owns his business and has for 20 years, it's pretty successful now but he's close to retirement and he starts bringing his son in to learn how to run it.
>The son is an imbecile. no idea what he's doing, not very smart, but thinks he's the boss just because his dad is.
>we're working on a pressure rated steam system
>big boss is visiting his daughter who's studying abroad in Istanbul or some shit
>Son decides he's gonna be an innovator and save them some money and buys cheap joined pipe
>we all tell him we can't use that
>"Fuck you guys do what I say or you're fired"
>"we can't use that pipe for this job"
>fires that guy
>Fine we'll do it
>put it all together, weld that shit up
>guy who's overseeing the work for the client comes and sees it and tells us it won't work.
>"go talk to *son"
>son tells him it was us who told him to do it
>get lectured about safety
>Takes another week to tear it out and do it again right
>big boss gets back, son and overseer tell him it was our fault
>takes the cost of the repairs out of our pay, tells us to "never second guess my management"
>4 people left the company over it

You're not better than everyone else. You seem to think you're some great genius suffering in the midst of all your incompetent inferiors but you're not. You know that saying that if you meet one asshole, no big deal, but if everyone you meet are assholes, then you're the real asshole. well think about that and do some introspection, champ
>>
>>954504
>>954446
>fuck's sake, why is my company failing?
>must be those shitty know-nothing employees of mine!
>golly, I sure hate those blue-collar bastards
>you'll install asbestos where I goddamn well tell you to!
>>
>>954504
I'm getting a chuckle out of the fact that this guy has responded to just about everyone except the one other anon in this thread that claims to own a business.

I wonder why that is...
>>
>>954419
>>954446
>>954504
>"hey /diy/, my pet peeve is when I tell my employees to do something stupid and they tell me it's a bad idea and won't take the blame for it when it turns out they're right"
>>
>>954362

Tell her to shut up then.
I've had the same problem you're dealing with, then one day when I was drawing up a circuit diagram that needed my full attention and came in talking about something fundamentally pointless, told her to shut it for a minute because I was busy.

She got offended, but she shut up at least.
Later I explained that I can't work and listen at the same time like she (thinks she) can without cocking something up.

She took it rather well and now doesn't bother me when I'm working unless it's important, otherwise and asks if I have a minute. Which I do of course.
>>
>>954504
I agree. You are paid an hourly wage to do your job. If following those instructions is a bad idea. Voice your concerns to the boss. It becomes their liability If they want to go ahead.
>>
>>954504

>I let my wife ruin my credibility as a tradesmen and respect from my employees with her dumbshit ideas and entitlement because otherwise she won't suck my dick.
>>
>>954446
Jesus fucking Christ your employees must all dream of killing you if that's your fucking attitude.
You need to get your fucking wife under control before she shits all over your business.
The guy didn't even say the owner/manager decided on the screws, he presented it as the owner's wife, who clearly doesn't know what she's doing since the screws failed, got it up her ass to come in and change a design in the middle of it for no fucking reason. Which is something shitty OWNERS do when they don't know how to fucking manage.

yeah, owners hire people to work for them. The people doing the work usually know what they are doing, or else the owners wouldn't hire them. The guy didn't need help putting a screw in. He needed the guy's wife to not think she was entitled to run her husband's fucking company just because she married his junk.
>>
>>954472
This. I have four years on the job field experience in repairing electronics to the component level.
I end up having to explain a list of reasons for every action when a customer or a friend asks for help and hovers around.

It's not too bad, after a quarter hour they usually f*** off while I continue to do an excellent job.
>>
>>954384
Remember, there's a reason divorces are so expensive.

They're worth it.
>>
>>954574
>Phone tech.
>I don't care what you think it is, jesus Christ, just show me where your 'phone box' is so I can test from there.
>No I don't care about anything else, I don't want to go inside your house, it's usually
OHHHh Is there a crackle on the line? Or a snap?

fuckin' a. I don't even care if the customer describes a ring trip because I still need to find it on my own.
>>
>>954573
>he needed the guy's wife to not think she was entitled to run her husband's fucking company
So... her company?

>>954572
>I'll have credibility and respect from my employees if I let them tell my wife to fuck off

>>954563
>anything I say is wrong and my employees are always right
There's a reason why I own the business and not them. It isn't because of what you're implying.

>>954555
I responded to one person and that was my only post in the thread.

>>954552
>why is my company failing?
It's not.

>>954506
>I'm an asshole for thinking that my employees should show respect to my wife and ask me about it if it is something that concerns them
>walking off of jobs because you get scolded like a child
You're a real winner.

>>954510
My installers have worked for me for going on 16 years this year, so there's that. Their kids now work for me as well.

>>954518
It's not even about questioning the boss, it's about answering back like a shithead. There is a right and a wrong way to do things.

You are an employee and the owner's wife/husband/child is the owner as well. The only person they answer to is the literal owner of the company. The food chain does not place a common fucking employee over the owner's wife, you do not get to tell them to fuck off. If you do not agree with what they are saying, say "ok" and double check with your direct supervisor (owner, manager, etc.). Chances are, they will understand where you're coming from and either explain it further or tell you to disregard.

Following the chain of command is how you resolve problems.
>>
>>954629
Why the fuck is your wife that doesn't know fucking shit about carpentry in the goddamn work area? Jesus Christ you're a failure. Get the fuck out hvac faggot. Everyone hates you and you continue to fail.
>>
>>954629
>Follow the chain of command
Someone not involved in the fucking operation at all except being 'owner' because they are related to the ACTUAL owner walks in and you're supposed to do whatever they say, or stop work and go stand outside of the owner's office and wait for him, probably losing at least half an hour, more like three because now his whole process is fucked and he needs to stop to redo it all to the wife's dumb idea-- to see you to check to see if you can do whatever bullshit his wife pulled out of her inexperienced ass?

The chain of command here would be
>Wife gets some dumbass idea
>Tells her husband, the owner/CEO. He tells the manager, or if he runs a roody-poo enough shop that in 16 years he's still the only manager, then HE can tell the employee to change the process.

SHE is NEVER fucking involved because she is not even in the goddamn foodchain because she is a clueless twat.
>>
Kek

>all these guys in this thread who gets their pay docked because of someone else's inadequacy even though they were arguing against it.

You guys act like your all so good yet you have spine.

I am not saying that you need you need to be a cunt about things. Just be politely accertive when relaying the facts.
>>
>>952152

It may feel that way to you. But if you are anything like MY room mate or my brother then you really take it over the top without realizing it.

It is annoying to be sitting down listening to someone rage or get overly excited over something that does not warrant all those decibels.
>>
>>954419
>>but since it's a small business she thinks
>She doesn't think shit, she knows.
Well, that depends, now, doesn't it.

If he's a sole trader and married, then sure.

But if he's a sole trader running a business that large he's a complete idiot, so we're safe in assuming it's a privately-held LLC.

Any LLC, from Joe's Newsagent all the way up to Apple, there's shareholders and employees. Shareholders are not employees and employees are not shareholders.

The actual boss is the sole shareholder (which makes his wife/husband also a shareholder), but he's /employed/ by the company to act like the boss. Unless the wife/husband is also employed to boss the minions around, he/she gets as much say as some guy who wandered in off the street.
>>
>>954629
>So... her company?
No, no more than her husband's job would be her job, were he working for Home Depot.

>>954629
>You should completely ignore the chain of command
>Following the chain of command is how you resolve problems.
What the fuck are you even saying? Org trees are trees for a reason: humans only operate properly with one boss.

Chain of command is a two-way street: you want my minions, you ask me. You don't go over my head and boss my minions around, even if you're the same pay grade, or even if you're my boss.
>>
>>952163
How to handle the bosses wife.

>done use those
>why
>they ugly.
>I agree they are ugly but they are the ones your husbands wanted. I can change them easily just need to run it by him because it was his idea.
>>
>>952277
>making a thing
>Oh I need to go grab that widget before I forget
>randomly set down whatever was in my hand
>return
>SHIT WHERE DID I PUT IT WHERETHEFUCKISIT WHY AM I SO RETARDED
>spend 10min looking
>why the fuck would I put it THERE?
>>
>>954741

>tfw you put it in a "secure" place where no one would move it and you know EXACTLY where it is.
>spot is so secure that not even you can locate it.

Its been hours.
>>
>>952163
>>954424

You know this is illegal, right?

Report him to the labor board, get documentation.

If your boss decides to fire you for it, you now have a wrongful termination lawsuit.
>>
>>954504
Shes not the owner, shes fucking the owner. A world of difference.

who else do you take orders from? The bosses 12 year old kid? the bosses 85 year old neighbour? The guy who delivers mail? There comes a point where you've got to say "yeah, no, I'm going to complete the job my way because I was hired to get results, not humor every last prick who feels like sticking their head around the door".
>>
>>954551
I've been in the basic exact same situation

>Repairing a boiler in a school
>Cracked fitting in a very hard to reach place
>New supervisor is a fucking cunt who tries to act like a hard ass
>Insists that the fitting is a low pressure fitting and that we can just save time by just welding it
>Tell him it's on the high pressure end and even if it wasn't we still need to replace it
>Tells me to just do it or he's writing me up
>Refuse
>He throws a fit, tells me to just fucking go home for the day
>We drove together
>He goes and gets his shit and starts welding on a pipe fitting
>I take a video of him doing it
>Turn system back on
>Starts leaking immediately
>Blames it on water hammer
>I'm fighting the urge to just laugh at him
>He's getting mad
>I have to now let the system cool down and fix it
>6 hours of overtime
>Boss calls pissed because he has to pay overtime and because the guy apparently took a cab back to the shop and said I left with the van
>Explain what really happened
>Doesn't even believe me at first because he doesn't think anyone can be that retarded
>Show him video
>Fires the guy

turns out the guy didn't even have the proper license to be working on a boiler of that size. Only got the job because he was a pipefitter who came with great references. We late found out he had been fired from past jobs because he was an alcoholic who would start fights with co-workers.
>>
>>954629
>>he needed the guy's wife to not think she was entitled to run her husband's fucking company
>So... her company?

I run a company and my wife works for me doing the office work.

If she were to be out on the floor telling my workers how to do something, I'd simply tell them not to listen. She isn't their boss, I am. She doesn't own the company, I do. I pay her a salary.

Now if they were being disrespectful to her, I'd chew their ass. I would do the same if they were being disrespectful to any employee or customer though.
>>
>>954769
Should tell your boss to eat a dick and go look for a new job. The fact that he was coming down on you when you've been there much longer, and then you proved your boss wrong tells me he's a shitbag and needs to learn who his real employee's are.
>>
>>954770

Most of the folks on this board actually have little business experience. A lot of them who are saying that the wife of a sole proprietor has any power in his business really and truly have either a twisted perception of reality or a loose grip on that same reality.

If his wife is interfering with his business and won't stop after instructed to do so the business owner immediately has lot's of legal leverage. Even if the interference actually improves the business it still has nothing to do with her because it is not her business. No matter married under whatever fucking religion or law if she is not on the business names registry she ain't got shit to do with it unless employed.

>Source: Business owner.
>>
>>954289
I would have just told them to go fuck themself and said call someone to pay and enjoy a 1000 dollar fucking bill for a days work.
>>
>>954722
it's assertive bruh, not accertive
>>
>>952163
Clearly his wife is testing her husband to see how much power she has. The husband is being a complete ass hole for not ignoring it or simply approaching the matter with a calm demeanor. Could have easily told anon to use x screws instead of y and change the colors. Anon should look for other work pronto. Get out of that mismanaged hell hole before it gets worse (woman always demand more).
>>
>>954629
>It's not even about questioning the boss
>>954419
>you shut your fucking mouth and do whatever the fuck you're told
>>954446
>Do it and shut the fuck up

Be careful anon, you're starting to back pedal.

>it's about answering back like a shithead. There is a right and a wrong way to do things.

You do realize this started as a greentext thread right?
How do you know that >>952163 didn't say something else but shortened it because greentext.

In fact if you actually read the post instead of raging at your incompetence as a business owner, you would see you are misquoting what anon said happened.

The WIFE said she was going to tell the husband after anon explained it to her:
>they look bad
>but they are not visible at all after we finish it
>look if you have other colors, these are bad, im telling my husband

Then anon agreed with her, with the only response he could make: "alright, tell him"
>kk, tell him

Your ideas of management and respect are so bass akwards that you either are not a business owner, or are a shitty one who's only around because your installers cant find another job and you get hired by people who don't know how to find a proper installation company.
>>
>>954779
see
>>954412
>>
>>954419
Dude, she is HIS WIFE she owns his dick, nothing more. She works at other place.
>>
>ITT: people working for minimum wage think they're better than their boss
It's like listening to the cooks at mc donalds.
>>
>>954841
goddamnit fucker, this is a slow ass board so it's not often we get an interesting thread that everyone can enjoy, and you gotta go and ruin it like the douchemonger you are
>>
Hahahahahaha

Oh man I love you uppity blue collar retards
You are all the same when it comes to shit like this

The reality is that most of you are literally retards who are unfit for civilized society. This is why I call you to carry out tasks that are beneath me.
>>
>>954890
found the buyfag
>>
>>954890
>I spend all of my time being angry at people over trivial shit instead of macromanaging
>other people are to blame for my stress

What you're doing here is its own punishment.
>>
>>954892

Top kek
>>
>>954769
Good for you with the video!

I despise idiots like that.
>>
>>954551
Why wouldn't you nut up and tell him with confidence in your voice what actually happened?

Anytime my boss gives me shit undeservingly I'll tell him what happened/why I did it a certain way and even if I made the wrong choice he respects my demeanor.

I have a co-worker who just says "jee golly boss I'm really sorry' and the boss just steam rolls him.

It goes both ways though. If you fuck up you have to own it. It's how they come to trust you.
>>
>>952152
A few
>fixing things that have already been 'repaired'
>making circuits for retards who insist on lead-free solder because 'muh safety'
>wet scissors
>repairing things that mix metric and standard
>>
>>954841
>ITT: bored retards from reddit pretending they're stupid business owners to rile people up
FTFY
>>
>>954800
What the fuck did you just fucking say about my wife, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I OWN this company, and I’ve been installing cabinets for 16 years in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed door repairs. I am trained in gorilla marketing and I’m the top cuck in the entire state. You are nothing to me but just another drone. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to my wife? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am signing your kast check and blacklisting you with anyone I know that still respects my opinion right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking fired, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and watch my wife get fucked by a bigger man than me. I can humiliate you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in cabinetry, but I have also managed yard renovations, AND irrigation projects. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking gone, kiddo.
>>
>>954504
I bet you are are a cuck
>>
>>952152
Stabbed the bitch.
>>
>>955016

>not enjoying the real fun of something that has metric, SAE and whitworth.

Fuck you jag, fuck you.
>>
>>954069
>And I suck at ordering electronic components online because there's too much selection.

Start learning, it's a valuable skill to have. Being able to read data sheets and specs is important for electronics work.

3/4 of design work is component selection.
>>
>>954724
Boo fuckin hoo, pansy.
>>
Fucking up my clear coat always rustles the shit out of my jims.
>>
>>955044
I keked.
>>
>>955016

>repairing things that mix metric and standard
>metric and standard
>standard

Ishiggyfuckingdiggy
>>
>>955132

>that response

I bet you are also very vain and have self esteem issues.

Most of your reactions are over the top and you make a whole heap of noise where ever you go because "I don't care" but what is really going on is that you desperately want everyone to know your life's story and what a "cool dude" you are.

I know you. I know people like you. You are one of the most pathetic group of individuals I know and you let yourself get pushed around by anyone who as even the most minute level of fortitude and to regain any sense of worth you attack the weakest of weak.

You are going to be a cuck in the traditional sense. If you aren't already one.
>>
>>955168
Nobody else did.
>>
>buy an old house
>plan is to fix it up one room at a time
>wife is ok with this plan
>fast forward a year
>every single room has some half assed "start" by wife
Latest project: She ripped off some of the carpet on the stairs and left it at that. It would be ok if she actually finished these things but she just randomly rips shit apart and then I need to jump all over the house rather than focus on one fucking room at a time which would be ten times easier and more efficient.
>>
>be at work
>hello customer
>how much is that guitar?
>$2500 plus the governors cut
>will you take $2000?
>deal
>oh i dont want to buy it i just wanted to see if youll take $2000
>mfw people come in and make me leave workshop in back for this shit
>>
>>955225
>wimin in charge of ANYTHING

feel ya bro
>>
>>955272

>On job site
>truck has for sale sign because ah sellin
>"Aye Boss. How much yo sellin fah"
>7000 coconuts
>"Jah! Yo go tek 5?"
>Nah boy. Dah too low
>"Yo go settle at 6?"
>Well....aight, aight. When yo war go sign over license?
>"BOY NAH NAH ME CYAR AFFORD NO VEHICLE!"
>So why de Fuck yo bartering with me?
>>
>>955289
why are you and/or the other guy talking like a retard? I can't even understand what you're trying to say.
>>
>>955347
He's either black or got brain damage when he fell on that BMW.
>>
Where the fuck do you guys live that you get wages docked?
>>
>>952152
>doing some wiring
>all seems well
>about to test it
>check I haven't reversed polarisation
>get battery
>check again I haven't RP'd it
>here goes
>BZZZZZZZZZT
>>
>>954419
Calm down francis
>>
>>955409
what's my name?
>>
>>955409
Omg how did you know
>>
>>954629
Hey can you get a trip so I can filter you? Thanks.
>>
>>955272
>undervaluing your work. Ever.
Pls don't cuck yourself anon, word gets around that you're offering discounts and people are genuinely shocked to find out that they don't get that same treatment.

I used to make completely hand made leather stuff and only charged a fraction of what it normally costs, now if someone wants me to make something completely custom from scratch, I don't even lift a finger till they put some money down.

People generally falling under a few categories when buying custom Comissions/quality hand made products:

1. Knows what something is worth and are happy to pay the price (rare)
2. are ignorant of what goes into making something and are genuinely shocked at the price (you need to educate them)
3. Know what something is worth and are just trying to Jew you out of a chunk of your hard earned profit, generally don't know or don't care about how disrespectful and insulting they're being by doing so.

Protect yourself anon, if you do good work and give it your all the price needs to reflect all the blood, sweat and tears that went into developing and making your product.
>>
>>955417
>worker bee anon hates the opinion of a successful business owner
It's why you'll always be a pleb.
>>
>>954401
why the fuck did you all get married for????
for appearances?
>>
>>954570
You are a wise man, anon.
>>
>>954643
>she is a clueless twat
What else did you expect to marry Angry Asshole Jaded HVAC man??
>>
>>954384
Just write them down.
>>
>buy a bunch of motors for a robot/3d printer/quadcopter
>people at the warehouse don't know a 36 oz-in stepper from a 58 oz-in stepper.
>other motor runs on 120V dc. Where the fuck am I going to find that?
>I had to bitch out some people

Also

>Building bulk thermoplastic extruder.
>need insulation
>go to the fireproof insulation section.
>as friendly home depot guy if the product is rated to 300 Celsius
> he just give me funny looks.
>>
>>956336
>succusful
>still one shop less than 50 employees after 16 years.
>>
>>956375
>having more than 50 employees in my line of work
I don't know what you think I do, but there's no way I would ever need that many people. There's not even 50 people that are in my line of work citywide.
>>
>>956464
we all hate you. Leave faggot. jesus Christ you're a failure.
>>
>>956568
>we
nypa
>>
>>956352
>>as friendly home depot guy if the product is rated to 300 Celsius
>> he just give me funny looks.

He thought you were funny, is all.
>>
>>956600
The general consensus of posters in this thread is that business faggot is an insufferable asshat of a cabinet installer.

Nice dubs tho.
>>
>>952342
I don't get it...
>>
>>955180
I did as well
>>
File: jokings.jpg (75 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
jokings.jpg
75 KB, 640x1136
>>954394
r u hi
>>
>>956338
For the same reason everyone else did. Also, confirmed for being single.
>>
>>956352
Outer core of a candle flame is about 1400 degrees C. Logfire 600 degrees. Fireproof material not rated for 300 degrees would be retarded.
>>
>>954758
Are you me ??
>>
>>952155

Fuck, this shit pisses me off! Haha
>>
>>957337
Fire proof and fire retardant are two different things.
>>
>>953029
>The money would be nice but I wanna deal with people who know what the hell is going on.
Why? Then you would be out of a job, and not making nearly as much money.
>>
>>952155
>>957370
Fucking hate it when people do that shit!
>>
>>952152
Infographics that show poorly designed things and the people who repost them and the people who tout them as god's word irl.
>>
File: STOP POSTING THAT IMAGE.gif (77 KB, 850x768) Image search: [Google]
STOP POSTING THAT IMAGE.gif
77 KB, 850x768
>>957704
Case in point.
>>
>>952152

>Installing flash gas compressor in fractionation plant
>No budget for a pad pour
>Get told to use sand to make a leveling pad

fucking idiots
>>
>>952155
>be me
>work dead end job at home depot
>deal with illiterate contractors all day long
>every
>fucking
>day
>1 inch elbows getting kinda low
>be really bored
>grab hand full of 1.25 inchers, they look close enough
>thrown in box of 1 inch elbows
>mix it all up
>2 hours later some doofus is at the return desk with a bag of elbows
>laugh my ass off all the way to break
>>
>>954504
HA fucking cuck detected.
Why is the wife even allowed there if she knows nothing of the work?
He/you are luck your employees even stick around.
I don't give a fuck how much I get pain, I'm not going to work somewhere that some dumb cow hovers over me and tells me to do my job wrong.
If you are good enough to gave a business that doesn't fail good on you, but don't let your wife walk around and play business owner like this is playschool.
If you married an immature useless bitch, don't be afraid to tell her to stay out of your business during hours. Just because she isn't getting enough attention at home or satisfying her entitlement issues, doesn't mean you have the right to ditch this problem on your employees.
>>
>>954770
This is the right way to think.
Now the only question is, if she comes running to you saying the other employees were talking shit to her.. would you listen to the employees if they told you that they did not and that she was being a dumbcunt
>>
>>957744
What the fuck did you just fucking say about my wife, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I OWN this company, and I’ve been installing cabinets for 16 years in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed door repairs. I am trained in gorilla marketing and I’m the top cuck in the entire state. You are nothing to me but just another drone. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to my wife? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am signing your kast check and blacklisting you with anyone I know that still respects my opinion right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking fired, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and watch my wife get fucked by a bigger man than me. I can humiliate you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in cabinetry, but I have also managed yard renovations, AND irrigation projects. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking gone, kiddo.
>>
>>957749
It was funny the first time but reusing it made it stale
>>
>>957750
Reusing it is vital to the core of the meme.
>>
>>954384
I know. The strugle is real
>>
>>957753
No its not, also that meme was dead years before you even found 4chan.
>inb5 what did you say, ive been browsing since
>>
>>954289
>Installed a ductless A/C to a friend.
>he pays me and everything ok
>4 months later calls me to tel me there is something wrong with my unit.
>other unit installed using the same break. Installed by someone else
>cable and break not rated for that charge.
>break overheated and fucked,

He went with another guys because I charge too much, the other guys fucked up the installation. Still the best in town just by doing stuff by the book.
>>
>>957767
>Teh Rei
:)
>>
>>953029
Hi Dave.
>>
>>957776
>friend wants me to do some work for him
>give him materials list with prices.
>quote him "friends and family" labor rate
>"I dunno anon, that seems kinda pricey."
>remind him that I usually charge twice this much per hour, and I live on this money, and I'm going to do it right the first time.
>also tell him that if I have to come in after someone else and fix their mistakes there won't be a discount.
>he has me do it, still bitches about it.

Seriously, the only way he was going to get it done cheaper is if he went with some hack artist.
>>
>>957859
What kind of work?
>>
>>957860
electrical
>>
>>957859
this. every. time

So when someone ask me for the same shit, I just ask for equally big favor, and guess what only then they understand how much you give them for such small fee
>>
>>954732
All women care about is if something looks good.
>>
>>952259
Truth has been spoken.
>>952264
Simple rule, touch my tools without my permission and I will kill you like a dog.
>>953029
>refitting sash windows to grade 2 listed property
>find sash box full of spray foam on every window!
>spend extra hours cleaning out foam to fit windows
>bill customer for extra time
>have huge argument with wife of customer about cost
>tell her it would have cost half that if sash box hadn't been full of foam and does she want to call her husband so I can explain it to him
>she pays me without further grief
>find out from other trade person on site that it was her who filled the boxes and that is why she doesn't want husband to know.
>>953969
Or worse, buy part and only find out later you got gouged by local shops!, Luckily this rarely happens now I can check the cost of shit online anywhere, I've literally shown the online price to a shop and got them to match it rather than lose a customer.
>>954289
Not even family should be allowed to abuse you, pack up and leave or be a bitch forever.
>>954331
>>the fact that I have no real workshop and no space to build one so everything takes for-fucking-ever
I have felt your pain too.
>>954429
This.... a thousand times this!
>>
>>954551
Had similar situation to yours, told bosses son that we would be only to happy to use substandard item X as long as the request for us to do it is in writing and signed, never hear about it again.
>>
>>955272
>Girl comes into shop while I'm looking at some shit
>shows luthier acoustic guitar and tells him it doesn't sound good any more
>luthier points out that strings are black with crud and rust and that she needs new ones
>she thinks he is trying to scam her and says she needs to think about it
>while she was waiting for the luthier to look at it in the beginning she picked up and played another guitar really with some skill!

How can you play that well and not know that you need to change the strings from time to time!?!?
>>
>>952264
>>look for tool
>>it's not where it belongs
>>fuck
>>fuckityfuckfuck
>>who did it
>>if you wanna use my shit, fine, but FUCKING PUT IT THE FUCK BACK WHEN YOU"RE FUCKING DONE WITH FUCKING IT YOU FUCKING FUCK
>>go get more beer
hey dad
>>
>>953969
Yup. Went to install an amp and subwoofer in my car today and also fix the head unit because the aux port got messed up and the pins weren't making connection right anymore. Get the aux port to what I think is fixed and put the head unit back in the car for a test and it doesn't power on anymore. IDK what happened, best guess is I touched it and static from me fried some stupid chip or something. Now I have to wait until thursday when I get paid to order another one and then wait until it ships here. Best part is I have a date on sunday. I'm going to look like a retard with no fucking radio in my car
>>
>>958089
This. If anybody ever tells me to use something different from standard, I get them to put it in writing, that way my ass is covered. If I really want to be a dick about it, I'll tell them to file it in triplicate, one for me, one for you, and one for the company.
>>
>>958970
Did you check the fuse and wiring harness?
Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.