[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I'm moving to an apartment soon and I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: expld.png (643 KB, 839x872) Image search: [Google]
expld.png
643 KB, 839x872
Hey guys,

I'm moving to an apartment soon and I've been getting into woodworking lately. I've been thinking of a way to keep a small shop in an apartment without getting in trouble for the noise. What I came up with was making a small room using modules as pic related.
A sheet of plywood, a couple sheets of neoprene, rock wool in a 2x4 frame, another couple of sheets of neoprene and a final sheet of plywood.

Am I on the right path here?
Does neoprene absorb low frequencies as I'm expecting it to? And does rockwool keep higher frequencies inside?

My ideia is to line up a few of those modules to make a floating floor, put some of those as walls and roof, making a fully enclosed room.
Is it going to work? What do I have to do?

Also, general room insulation thread
>>
look into professional soundproofing panels.
find out how they're constructed / work
pay attn to assembly / installation instructions
compare cost to you making them yourself
>>
what tools will you be using?
go ask a cool neighbor if he can hear you and how annoying those tools are
>>
>>951942
Don't be a douchenozzle and use loud power tools at all hours of the night. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY likes that guy.
>>
>>951942
i had a couple of friends create sound studios in their homes for music production
one of the things they highlighted to me during their builds was air spacing
when assembling walls, keep a continuous air space between the existing wall and your new wall
any part that touches one wall to the next will be a source of transferring noise
you can't eliminate every point of contact but the fewer points of contact, the better at noise cancelling it will become
>>
You need mechanical isolation. Floating means floating, not sitting on top of.
>>
File: cup-carriers-2.jpg (11 KB, 249x205) Image search: [Google]
cup-carriers-2.jpg
11 KB, 249x205
>>951942
i have used these things to soften noise. i got a bunch from wendy's one night. i put thick blankets on the walls and stapled the drink carriers to that.
>>
OP here. Sorry it took so long to reply

>>951954
Yeah, I've done some research before and that's how I came up with this module. I just haven't looked into cost yet, might do when I actually decide on building it.

>>951956
It's mostly handtools, eventually a power/belt sander or something like that. I'm also worried about hammering and shit.

>>951959
I don't want to be that guy. That's why I plan on using mostly powertools and build the fucking soundproof room.

>>951981
>>951998
I've been planning on mounting the floor on some sort of tilts and also use neoprene and the points of contact. I'm mostly worried about low frequencies penetrating through the ceiling of the floor underneath me.

>>952006
I haven't thought of acoutic treating for the inside of the room. I don't really care for it, I just want to make sure that it will be acoustically isolated.

But yeah, thanks guys. I'm planning on doing some testing to see what works best. Just a box and put some loud noise in different frequencies inside to see if I can hear anything.
>>
>>952282
>>951959
Handtools. I meant to say use mostly handtools, not powertools
>>
>>952282
looks like you are on your way
just another thing to keep in mind for you
as you build your sound proof room, essentially you are air sealing it which becomes difficult to work in when you have sawdust and chemicals inside
personally, i dont know what to do about this as i have my own basement woodshop where sound is not an issue as i live in my own home and noise doesnt really matter, unless the wife is watching a movie
but i do know that when i work, eventually even just a few cuts with a small power saw is enough to fill my small confined space with fine particle sawdust - i regulate myself now to just a few minutes of cutting time and only work on small projects with minimal cutting
- that said - i have decent ventilation, i am not enclosed in a sound proof box and i still have a problem with dust
i can only imagine what your setup will do - just a thought
>>
Idk if all that shit will work or not but it had damn well better if youre running power tools in a damn apartment.
>>
File: breathers.png (2 MB, 1324x744) Image search: [Google]
breathers.png
2 MB, 1324x744
OP here

>>952289
I found a good reference for ventilation in studios, like pic related.
I think it might work out pretty well
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.