[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
speed sensor?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: wheelspin.png (25 KB, 880x390) Image search: [Google]
wheelspin.png
25 KB, 880x390
Hey /diy/,

what would the best way to measure speed be using a speed sensor hooked up to some kind of microcontroller (ie, the arduino.) Most likely going to hook it up to one of my own avr boards that I made, but since it uses the same chip as the arduino it should be fine.

Pic related, basic diagram of what I'm imagining. Are there sensors that can tell you the relative speed at which they're traveling in miles or km per hour if they were attached to some sort of spinning axle, for example on a wheel?
>>
>>951821

Come on, nigga, try a little harder. This is basic stuff.

Stick optical encoder on shaft (can be literally just a piece of transparency paper and the optointerrupter from a mouse's scroll wheel). Measure time between pulses. Determine speed by multiplying frequency of pulses by circumference of wheel.
>>
>>951821

Reed switch and a magnet on the wheel would do it.
>>
File: CardInWheel.jpg (61 KB, 576x366) Image search: [Google]
CardInWheel.jpg
61 KB, 576x366
measure the audio frequency of the clicks...
>>
>>951941
holy shit the perspective of that picture is cringe worthy.
>>
>>951821
usually its just a dot or stripe with an optical sensor pointed at something that rotates.

if its a bicycle like in your pic you can just get a spoke magnet and use a hall effect sensor.

or you can just use your phone on a mount and use the gps.
>>
i have one on my bike right now.
used a magnetic reed switch and arduino interrupts
i have failed using opticalslot and sensors due to sunlight interference and dirt buildup
might post pics later
>>
>>951918
>>951821

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor
>>
>>951822
Actually a better way to do it is to measure the delay between rotations, and index that into a lookup table (or just do the math, if you have the processor bandwidth to do it). That way you get an accurate speed readout after the first full rotation of the wheel.

>>951918
More robust and foolproof than an opto-interrupter, lower power, too.
>>
File: Hall 1.png (112 KB, 1024x561) Image search: [Google]
Hall 1.png
112 KB, 1024x561
hall effect best effect
>>
>>953066

that's way too complicated

all you need is a magnet and an inductor.

you can handle the rest in the software of a microcontroller
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.