[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ipad aluminum to chrome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: 571[1].jpg (116 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
571[1].jpg
116 KB, 1200x1200
I am thinking about turning the aluminum rear of an ipad into a mirror smooth surface, like super shiny metal like in the pic.

what do i need to do this?
>>
File: Something like this.png (219 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
Something like this.png
219 KB, 620x620
>>951610
>>
>>951614
sand it with automotive sandpaper (2000+ grit)

use slave labor if available.
>>
>>951620
Nah son, i just want my classic ipad to be a special one. extra chrome finish
>>
I'm not really sure you can polish anodized aluminium.
I may be wrong
>>
>>951631
>polish anodized aluminium.
You are correct. But If you sand off the anodized coating you can polish the aluminum underneath but you would be smart to find out the particulars of the back and see just how thick the actual aluminum is as it could just be a thin layer itself and you are taking a chance of sanding/polishing through. If it is aluminum you can get a mirror shine with Nuvite, specifically Nushine II grade A, anything competing with that will get results but probably cost prohibitive.
You're probably better off buying one already made like the one posted above.
>>
File: basepolish2.jpg (528 KB, 1600x1108) Image search: [Google]
basepolish2.jpg
528 KB, 1600x1108
>>951610
strip the ano coating.
Get wet=sand SiC sandpaper starting at about 400 grit, keep upping 50% until you fall off the finest grit (about 1500-2000 grit).
Then go to polishes made for non-ferrous metals starting at 3000 grit; keep going to about 10,000.
If you do it carefully, making sure not to cross-contaminate grits and doing each step until all the lines from the previous round are gone (alternate vertical passes with horizontal, last polish step can be circles), you will end up with a mirror.
...then you need to topcoat it or chrome it because aluminum mirrors don't last.
>>
Woah that looks really good.
i was thinking of finishing it off with a clear coat and then car waxing it for extra shine.
or is this a bad idea?
>>
>>952083
aluminum oxidizes like crazy. you HAVE to give it a permanent clear coat, or get it chrome plated, etc, or it will very quickly shift to that soda can matte grey look. And that's AFTER all the work to get it to a mirror shine. Aluminum is just not a good surface for this sort of thing, be prepared for lots of work and little reward. It can be done, but it's not exactly practical.
>>
>>951610
Electroplate.

Can your remove the part in question from sensitive electronics?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.