[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would a design like this withstand a 350lb man flopping down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
Would a design like this withstand a 350lb man flopping down on it? I want to build my Dad a new bed for Father's Day but he's a pretty big guy. What if I doubled up on the bottom 2x4s and then used 2x6 slats instead of those skinny ones? I have absolutely zero /diy/ experience but I'm just a broke 22 year old.
>>
>>951429
>I have absolutely zero /diy/ experience but I'm just a broke 22 year old.

Look up the cost of wood before you go any farther, especially if you are going to double up on stuff.

Also you need to think about whether he is using a box spring or just a mattress
>>
>>951431

He has a box spring and a bed. Both are literally older than me. He has one of those $50 metal frames you can buy at the Dollar Store or Big Lots that looks like shit.

I have a budget of $200. I doubt I could buy a frame for that cheap that supports fatties.
>>
If you're serious about building the frame with 2x4's then put them on edge AKA skinny side facing up for added strength. or if you wanna stick to the skinny slats (like in your pic) then make sure you beef up the middle support. probably should be ok just by doing that.
>>
>Would a design like this withstand a 350lb man flopping down on it?
Probably. I'd need to see the plans or at least a more complete description to say for sure.
>>
>>951476

Here's the article. That's all the information I have.

http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2014/08/easy-diy-platform-bed.html
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (79 KB, 716x768) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
79 KB, 716x768
>>951429
>big guy
>>
>>951429
Lose some weight you fat bastard. Jesus christ. How are you that young and that fat? You literally have to eat 12000 calories a day
>>
>>951429
>you will never have a 350 lb daddy
>>
File: PhotoEditor-1456324381005.jpg (91 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
PhotoEditor-1456324381005.jpg
91 KB, 600x400
>>951429
>>951548
It should work, but the fact he is such a big guy, it probably won't last mare than 6 months before the wood starts splitting.

Here's a few tips to help reinforce it to help it last for years.

First off, don't even think about using soft wood, when making well used furniture for heavy people, you are only asking for failure. Hard wood of any sort is your friend here.

Second, like in the crappy diagram I gave you (sorry, I'm not home so using my phone), bring the central support down to the ground, you'll lose some of the spring, but with his weight that doesn't matter.

Third, place two additional central supports. Or you could simply use 2 as well like you suggested yourself.

Do not rely on pocket joints for the outer frame, those fail with heavy use, especially with people who flop. Get yourself 4 metal joints to reinforce it, you can usually get them for less than $1-$2 a piece at any hardware store. They don't need to be anything special, just a few basic joints to slap on the inside.

2x4 slats should be more than fine, the guy is using 1x3 slats in the tutorial, that's why they look so frail.

The tips I gave are a little overkill, but the bed will last a very very long time if you make it that way, even if he gets bigger, it will still be solid.

Hope that helps
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.