[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grunge/dirty look on models
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: fallout_pip_boy_new vegas.jpg (963 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
fallout_pip_boy_new vegas.jpg
963 KB, 1680x1050
im working on a Pip Boy model and im adding finishing touches, it has a satin finish, and i need to make it look worn and dirty like in-game, all ive got are cotton balls, paint brushes/etc, and light grey and black paint. any tips?
>>
base coat of light gray primer, covered with the topcoat color of choice. Finish it up nice and then hit it with some 600 or 800 grit sandpaper in key places. Corners, edges, etc are great locations.
>>
Lightly dab on dirt colored paint with a torn sponge or crumpled up newspaper
>>
ive been using a cotton ball, would that work? there are some places the satin base has rubbed off through wear and tear, im painting those spots with the dirt/grunge paint. looks good so far
>>
>>951390
You want a black or brown wash. It tints everything a bit and especiallyncollects in the valleys of the piece. Go to tg and fond the figure/modelling thread, or cgl.

Cgl is genral prop knowledge but tg has really fine modelling knowledge. Come back here if you want to here faggots talk about what screw gun to but to ut the stage together
>>
>>951390
Oh, thats the best part OP.
I love making my builds look used and old. GIves it a sence of being real and having a story.
What i do is use bit of black and/or brown acrylic paint and paint all over the device, and tahn use a spundge to clean it as best as i can. Than repeat a few more timese and it gives it a sence of being old and dirty. as far as the paint scratches. If your divice is made out of metal, its a no prainer take a peace of chain or a bag of nuts and bolts to it. If however its made out of foam, plastic, wood you might want to paint on the ware with some gunmetal-grey paint. GL op, post some picks of the build
>>
>>951390
a photo of it would be cool, what are you using for screen?
>>
>>951390
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXzxEqdvuIE
>>
File: IMG_20160118_151526_227.jpg (701 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160118_151526_227.jpg
701 KB, 2592x1944
im using a samsung as the screen. im making an entireley new rom for it, all styled in the likeness of the pip boy. ive done a little bit, but its not much, just some dark grey along all the seams. im not sure what coklor to get next
>>
AWSOME!!!!!
>>
these are ones I usedto make. built 21 of them, but gave up in the end as they took too much time to build.
>>
File: IMG_20160118_151559_968.jpg (707 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160118_151559_968.jpg
707 KB, 2592x1944
hah glad you like it, ive got a youtube up on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvzTg54Tk0Q
>>
Search /tg/ or internet for model tank weathering. peoplr get crazy detail with a bunch of diffetent techniques. Of course some things would need to be altered for scale, but for novel concepts id look into it. Torrent some pdfs
>>
>>951502
or let /tg/ come to you...

>>951390
paint the basic colours on, allow to try,
get some water based wood stain. dilute 1.5:1 or 2:1 water to stain, then dip the thing in it a few times...

dents and dings are a matter for actually hitting it with objects or sanding...
>>
>>952400
>no holotape drive
are you even trying?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.